Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Brick pavers over old driveway?

My driveway is wearing and I want to replace it with interlocking
brick. Can I avoid tearing up the pavement and use this as the base
(re-tamp again) for the sand then brick? Tearing up of pavement would
be a hard task for an old timer like myself. Disposing of the old
pavement would be equally as hard on a fixed income. This will be a DIY
project.

Thank you

Posted to alt.home.repair

Besides the height issue of adding at least 6 inches to the surface
height, I would think there will be problems with the pavement trapping
water and heaving. Do you live in a hard freeze area?

How is the drivevway "wearing"? There may be resurfacing options. Many
places will hot-top the driveway, which is essentially a skim coat of
new asphalt. It works OK, and can buy you a bunch more years on aging
pavement.

wrote:
My driveway is wearing and I want to replace it with interlocking
brick. Can I avoid tearing up the pavement and use this as the base
(re-tamp again) for the sand then brick? Tearing up of pavement would
be a hard task for an old timer like myself. Disposing of the old
pavement would be equally as hard on a fixed income. This will be a DIY
project.

Thank you

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Andrew Duane" wrote in message
ps.com...
Besides the height issue of adding at least 6 inches to the surface
height, I would think there will be problems with the pavement trapping
water and heaving. Do you live in a hard freeze area?

How is the drivevway "wearing"? There may be resurfacing options. Many
places will hot-top the driveway, which is essentially a skim coat of
new asphalt. It works OK, and can buy you a bunch more years on aging
pavement.

There is also the tar and chip scenario which may give more mongevity than a
skim coat. One other issue that I would be concerned about, Ty, is water
washing the sand from between the pavers. Since they will be above grade on
the edges the joints which terminate there will tend to shed sand. That
will probably progresseively worsen and creep inward making the pavers
loose. Then, you're out there resetting some pavers every couple of years.
Now, that may be acceptable maintenance for you but I thought that I'd bring
it up. Good luck with the project and post back with your progress.