Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan Joseph Meehan is offline

Default Brick pavers over old driveway?

wrote:
Joseph Meehan wrote:
wrote:
My driveway is wearing and I want to replace it with interlocking
brick. Can I avoid tearing up the pavement and use this as the base
(re-tamp again) for the sand then brick? Tearing up of pavement
would be a hard task for an old timer like myself. Disposing of the
old pavement would be equally as hard on a fixed income. This will
be a DIY project.

Thank you

Well you did not tell us what your current drive is made if. I
have seen gravel, concrete, asphalt, etc.

My question is have you considered that you would be adding the
at least a couple inches of sand plus the height of the brick. Do
you want your drive that much higher? I would also want to make
sure you have good drainage through the drive. From here I can't
tell. :-)

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

The surface is asphalt and the current driveway slopes down at an
angle so the extra height would not be a problem. During rain there
appears to be good drainage as there is no standing water.

ty

I don't think I would want to do it on asphalt. You want drainage to
go down through the base into the soil, not run off. With an asphalt base
the water would go there, then it would be stopped. I would expect
problems. I can't help by think the extra height would have to be a problem
as well.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit