Posted to alt.home.repair

Default ? about replacing underlayment

Situation: Kitchen floor, linoleum tile over particle board--bad
choice!--why? because the leaky water heater (since replaced) caused the
underlayment to buckle, and it now needs to be removed.

Problem: Underlayment apparently runs under the sink counter.

Question: What tool would one use to cut the underlayment around the
bottom of the counter? There's an overhang over the front. I'm guessing
some kind of "zero clearance" saw, but am not familiar with these.

What would a pro do?

--
"In 1964 Barry Goldwater declared: 'Elect me president, and I
population into concentration camps and turn the country into a

- Characterization (paraphrased) of the 1964 Goldwater/Johnson
presidential race by Professor Irwin Corey, "The World's Foremost
Authority".
Posted to alt.home.repair

David Nebenzahl wrote:
Situation: Kitchen floor, linoleum tile over particle board--bad
choice!--why? because the leaky water heater (since replaced) caused the
underlayment to buckle, and it now needs to be removed.

Problem: Underlayment apparently runs under the sink counter.

Question: What tool would one use to cut the underlayment around the
bottom of the counter? There's an overhang over the front. I'm guessing
some kind of "zero clearance" saw, but am not familiar with these.

What would a pro do?

Pull that section of base cabinets, and fix it correctly. If the
particle board underlayment (standard in kitchens for many years) was
buckled, the plywood subfloor may have problems too. Can you see it from
the bottom, to poke with an icepick and look for mushy areas? The water
didn't stop at the toe kick, it ran under the cabinets as well, and it
stayed wet there longer. If the cabinets are chipboard, the bottom edges
are likely mushy as well.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/16/2008 4:51 PM aemeijers spake thus:

David Nebenzahl wrote:
[...]

Thanks for your reply. However, don't think that's going to happen,
since counter contains a plumbed-in sink, client doesn't have a ton of
money and doesn't want kitchen torn up forever.

Under the particle board are floorboards (solid fir or pine) which are
not damaged. The cabinets themselves seem fine as well. If the particle
board under the cabinet got wet, it's no big deal.

He's getting a couple estimates from floor-intallation places. It'll be
interesting to see what they recommend here.

I'd be inclined to cut around the cabinets, if such a tool as I was
asking about exists.

--
"In 1964 Barry Goldwater declared: 'Elect me president, and I
population into concentration camps and turn the country into a
wasteland.' But Lyndon Johnson said: 'No! No! No! Don't you dare do
that. Let ME do it.'"

- Characterization (paraphrased) of the 1964 Goldwater/Johnson
presidential race by Professor Irwin Corey, "The World's Foremost
Authority".
Posted to alt.home.repair
jim jim is offline

David Nebenzahl wrote:
[...]

* will bomb the cities of Vietnam, defoliate the jungles, herd the
* population into concentration camps and turn the country into a
* wasteland.' But Lyndon Johnson said: 'No! No! No! Don't you dare do
* that. Let ME do it.'"

- Characterization (paraphrased) of the 1964 Goldwater/Johnson
presidential race by Professor Irwin Corey, "The World's Foremost
Authority".- Hide quoted text -

Would strongly do a good thoughly check under the counter if your not
going to cut the board as close as you can with your saw then take a
wood chiesel and finish the last bit
Posted to alt.home.repair

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
s.com...
Situation: Kitchen floor, linoleum tile over particle board--bad
choice!--why? because the leaky water heater (since replaced) caused the
underlayment to buckle, and it now needs to be removed.

Problem: Underlayment apparently runs under the sink counter.

Question: What tool would one use to cut the underlayment around the
bottom of the counter? There's an overhang over the front. I'm guessing
some kind of "zero clearance" saw, but am not familiar with these.

Aem gave you the correct answer.

If you want to proceed along your chosen course a Dremel or spiral saw
(RotoZip) with a right angle attachment will allow you to cut out the PB
under the cabinet over-hang. I have done it both ways.

Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

David Nebenzahl wrote in
s.com:

Situation: Kitchen floor, linoleum tile over particle board--bad
choice!--why? because the leaky water heater (since replaced) caused
the underlayment to buckle, and it now needs to be removed.

Problem: Underlayment apparently runs under the sink counter.

Question: What tool would one use to cut the underlayment around the
bottom of the counter? There's an overhang over the front. I'm
guessing some kind of "zero clearance" saw, but am not familiar with
these.

What would a pro do?

I suspect a pro would do it right and say the cabinet has to come out to
do it right.

But since they wanna do it on the cheap, you would still require pro
tools. I have no idea of the cost but I suspect a lotta bucks.

"Crain makes power saws for undercutting along walls, door jambs, and
even under toe spaces to tear out underlayment."

http://www.craintools.com/fs-specialtysaws.html
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

I am not sure of the name but such saws exist. Try looking for "toe-space"
or "kick-space". They are basically small flush cutting circular saws where
the saw blade has a recessed center for the shaft and nut.

Don Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

David Nebenzahl wrote in news:48a75f30$0$24527
:

Situation: Kitchen floor, linoleum tile over particle board--bad
choice!--why? because the leaky water heater (since replaced) caused the
underlayment to buckle, and it now needs to be removed.

Problem: Underlayment apparently runs under the sink counter.

Question: What tool would one use to cut the underlayment around the
bottom of the counter? There's an overhang over the front. I'm guessing
some kind of "zero clearance" saw, but am not familiar with these.

What would a pro do?

Did a little more research. It's called a toe kick saw.

Crain 795 Toe-Kick Saw $255 shipping included.
http://www.tools4flooring.com/crain-...saw-p-280.html
Posted to alt.home.repair

Red Green wrote in
:

David Nebenzahl wrote in
news:48a75f30$0$24527 :

Situation: Kitchen floor, linoleum tile over particle board--bad
choice!--why? because the leaky water heater (since replaced) caused
the underlayment to buckle, and it now needs to be removed.

Problem: Underlayment apparently runs under the sink counter.

Question: What tool would one use to cut the underlayment around the
bottom of the counter? There's an overhang over the front. I'm
guessing some kind of "zero clearance" saw, but am not familiar with
these.

What would a pro do?

Did a little more research. It's called a toe kick saw.

Crain 795 Toe-Kick Saw $255 shipping included.
http://www.tools4flooring.com/crain-...saw-p-280.html

Well lookie here. Harbor Freight has one for $60. May even have
bearings...and metal ones at that.

http://search.harborfreight.com/cpis...kick&Submit=Go

Posted to alt.home.repair

David Nebenzahl wrote in
s.com:

Situation: Kitchen floor, linoleum tile over particle board--bad
choice!--why? because the leaky water heater (since replaced) caused
the underlayment to buckle, and it now needs to be removed.

Problem: Underlayment apparently runs under the sink counter.

Question: What tool would one use to cut the underlayment around the
bottom of the counter? There's an overhang over the front. I'm
guessing some kind of "zero clearance" saw, but am not familiar with
these.

What would a pro do?

Hmmm, didn't see this post. Not sure what happened or if just delayed.
Sorry for the duplicate if that's the case.

------------------

I suspect a pro would do it right and say the cabinet has to come out to
do it right.

But since they wanna do it on the cheap, you would still require pro
tools. I have no idea of the cost but I suspect a lotta bucks.

"Crain makes power saws for undercutting along walls, door jambs, and
even under toe spaces to tear out underlayment."

http://www.craintools.com/fs-specialtysaws.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/16/2008 7:28 PM Red Green spake thus:

Red Green wrote in
:

David Nebenzahl wrote in
news:48a75f30$0$24527 :

Situation: Kitchen floor, linoleum tile over particle board--bad
choice!--why? because the leaky water heater (since replaced) caused
the underlayment to buckle, and it now needs to be removed.

Problem: Underlayment apparently runs under the sink counter.

Question: What tool would one use to cut the underlayment around the
bottom of the counter? There's an overhang over the front. I'm
guessing some kind of "zero clearance" saw, but am not familiar with
these.

What would a pro do?

Did a little more research. It's called a toe kick saw.

Crain 795 Toe-Kick Saw $255 shipping included.
http://www.tools4flooring.com/crain-...saw-p-280.html

Well lookie here. Harbor Freight has one for $60. May even have
bearings...and metal ones at that.

http://search.harborfreight.com/cpis...kick&Submit=Go

Thanks! I just bought a bunch of stuff at a local Harbor Freight
(Newark, CA) and plan on buying more when I get the chance. I'll see how
the estimates my customer gets from flooring places come in; I may be
able to pay for this tool with this job.

BTW, I'm sure it has metal bearings, probably ball bearings at that, and
would work fine for the amount of use I'd give it. I just picked up a
"sawzall" (Chicago) at HF for $20. *Twenty bucks*. Wouldn't have gotten
it if I used it every day, of course, but I don't.

--
"In 1964 Barry Goldwater declared: 'Elect me president, and I
population into concentration camps and turn the country into a
wasteland.' But Lyndon Johnson said: 'No! No! No! Don't you dare do
that. Let ME do it.'"

- Characterization (paraphrased) of the 1964 Goldwater/Johnson
presidential race by Professor Irwin Corey, "The World's Foremost
Authority".
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Red Green" wrote in message
David Nebenzahl wrote in
s.com:

[...]

When I did my kitchen floor, I cut close to the cabinets with a skill
saw, and used a flat shovel to pop up the underlayment. most of the
underlayment snapped off at the cabinets what was left was chiseled off

pet pee and underlayment # Fred # Home Repair 13 December 7th 06 03:05 PM
RE; Cork underlayment Robert Gammon Home Repair 0 May 15th 06 09:08 PM
Underlayment RedWing Home Repair 1 April 20th 06 02:55 AM
tile underlayment [email protected] Home Repair 3 March 15th 06 12:29 AM
OSB as carpet underlayment? [email protected] Home Repair 9 January 17th 06 01:45 PM