Posted to alt.home.repair

Default tile underlayment

I'm laying 6x6 1/4" thick tile for the majority of my tub. Halfway up
though, I'm putting a 3" high strip of 1/8" thick glass tile inlay
around the interior of the tub. This is the type of tile that comes on
the 1'x1' sheets and each tile is 1" sq.

Because I have to build up the thinset to get it to level with the 6x6,
i'm having problems getting the glass tile to set-in without moving
around. I'd like to cut a 3" strip of backboard and put it behind the
glass, but I can't find one thin enough.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bobby_M

Use a small-notch trowel with some thickened thinset. Once it sets up,
fill in the grooves with more thinset using a flat trowel and let that
set.

Posted to alt.home.repair
PipeDown

Build up the thinset to the proper level without the final tiles in place,
wait for that to dry then spread more thinset to bond the glass tiles.

Don't try to set the galss in a thick bed of thinset, just enough to stick
it and come 1/3 up the sides.

Use 2 hour setting thinset (stone and granite) if you want to do it in one
day

wrote in message
ups.com...
I'm laying 6x6 1/4" thick tile for the majority of my tub. Halfway up
though, I'm putting a 3" high strip of 1/8" thick glass tile inlay
around the interior of the tub. This is the type of tile that comes on
the 1'x1' sheets and each tile is 1" sq.

Because I have to build up the thinset to get it to level with the 6x6,
i'm having problems getting the glass tile to set-in without moving
around. I'd like to cut a 3" strip of backboard and put it behind the
glass, but I can't find one thin enough.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks for the feedback.

underlayment for tile install lls8000 Home Ownership 4 July 26th 05 01:06 AM
Tile installation estimate in line with market? ate1 Home Repair 3 October 28th 04 11:13 PM
Florida Tile LD Home Repair 16 March 2nd 04 11:52 PM
Florida Tile LD Home Ownership 17 March 2nd 04 11:52 PM
Tile Indentation & Cracking, Installer, and the Attorney General Ben Home Repair 8 July 18th 03 02:25 PM