Posted to alt.home.repair

Default pet pee and underlayment

My tenant moved out about 3 weeks ago and the house still reek of dog pee.
The lease states no pets but you know how it goes. Anyway, I've already
removed the carpet and pad but the odor won't go away. I have about 1,200
sq. ft. of particleboard underlayment so I couldn't use any liquid
chemicals. What next, rip off all the underlayment?

Posted to alt.home.repair

My tenant moved out about 3 weeks ago and the house still reek of dog
pee. The lease states no pets but you know how it goes. Anyway, I've
already removed the carpet and pad but the odor won't go away. I have
about 1,200 sq. ft. of particleboard underlayment so I couldn't use
any liquid chemicals. What next, rip off all the underlayment?

Yes, rip it out. Particle board is great for sucking up any kind of liquid
(and odor), acts like a sponge.

Posted to alt.home.repair

OUTDOOR POLYURETHANE !

Went thru this with my moms house.

Regular poly can soften if it gets wet in the future like by carpet
scrubbing.

outdoor poly is 100% GUARANTEED .........

My moms floors were black in places from urine.

completely fixed the problem which is a realtive of fire restoration.

use kilz oil based on walls

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks, my moms home has same problem. I was going to replace it
all....but will try this first!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

avid_hiker wrote:
Thanks, my moms home has same problem. I was going to replace it
all....but will try this first!!

No problem glad to help!

The story goes my mom stepdad and some of their dogs were
incontenient..... HOUSE STANK Step dad and dogs died, mom moved in
with me and fiance..........

I had a realtor / investor walk thru the home and asked what do I do?
He said outdoor poly floors and kilz on walls. reported he had done
this recently to a apartment complex he had recently purchased with 20
smelly units, all floors chip board.

nice guy who wanted listing but I fixed up house and rented it for near
8 years, then sold it and paid off our mortage .......

the odor trouble was completely cured and never returned in those 8
years, or the now ten years today.

the home buyer heard abourt the odor and had a special clause in the
sales agreement I was on the hook if odor returned, wasnt concerned
after 8 years it was GONE!

outdoor poly STINKS best to not be in area during project..........
summer with windows open is ideal or do while people are on
vacation.........

Posted to alt.home.repair

# Fred # wrote:
My tenant moved out about 3 weeks ago and the house still reek of dog pee.
The lease states no pets but you know how it goes. Anyway, I've already
removed the carpet and pad but the odor won't go away. I have about 1,200
sq. ft. of particleboard underlayment so I couldn't use any liquid
chemicals. What next, rip off all the underlayment?

I hope you had a decent sized security deposut, and kept it. G

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 4 Dec 2006 19:38:56 -0800, "# Fred #"
wrote:

My tenant moved out about 3 weeks ago and the house still reek of dog pee.
The lease states no pets but you know how it goes. Anyway, I've already
removed the carpet and pad but the odor won't go away. I have about 1,200
sq. ft. of particleboard underlayment so I couldn't use any liquid
chemicals. What next, rip off all the underlayment?

If you're about to rip up the underlayment anyway, why not
give one of those enzyme cleaners a try? If it screws
up the pressboard, you're no worse off than before.
If it does work, Shellac the floor before putting a new
carpet and pad down, that will keep odor from working
it's way back out on humid days, and will protect the
floor a little from whatever the next tennant decides
to pour on it.

(Hmm.. note to self. If ever buying rental property,
seal the floors before letting tennants in..)

Check the baseboards and bottom few inches of drywall
while you're there.

Posted to alt.home.repair

# Fred # wrote:
My tenant moved out about 3 weeks ago and the house still reek of dog
pee. The lease states no pets but you know how it goes. Anyway, I've
already removed the carpet and pad but the odor won't go away. I have
about 1,200 sq. ft. of particleboard underlayment so I couldn't use
any liquid chemicals. What next, rip off all the underlayment?

wayne wrote:
You could try KILZ to seal it

Wayne, no, KILZ will not seal anything. It is a water-based primer and
therefore still permeable. I know from trying to seal the stink of 25
years' worth of tobacco smoke into the walls of a house we bought
earlier this year.

If you go the painting route, Fred, use B.I.N. It is a tinted shellac,
and therefore will seal the subfloor against the pee smell making it to
the surface.

BUT, and this is a big but, you still have the possibility that the pee
smell will penetrate the underside of the subfloor, which means a
sensitive nose - attached to, say, a pregnant woman (like our recently
departed tenants) - may still smell pee, especially if this is the
first floor you're talking about and the subfloor is exposed in the
basement.

I hate to say it, but the best bet and the most thorough way of dealing
with this is to take up the subflooring where it's stained and replace
it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Goedjn wrote:
If you're about to rip up the underlayment anyway, why not
give one of those enzyme cleaners a try? If it screws
up the pressboard, you're no worse off than before.

In my experience, the enzyme cleaners aren't effective because part of
what you're fighting are crystal deposits in the wood which do not
dissolve no matter what you use.

You should see what several years' worth of dog pee did to the hardwood
floors in a house a friend of mine bought. We scrubbed, bleached,
enzymed, stripped the floors, all to little avail. The crystals were
deep in the fiber of the wood, and nothing was getting them out.
Finally, we applied a couple coats of polyurethane, and the stains are
still there and dark-ish but not too bad and there's no smell. The
floor even looks like it has some character instead of looking like it
was a dog's bathroom.

Check the baseboards and bottom few inches of drywall
while you're there.

Good advice. See what is or is not going on that you wouldn't otherwise
discover until it's too late.

(Hmm.. note to self. If ever buying rental property,
seal the floors before letting tennants [sic] in...)

Definitely. One should always take a careful, thorough, paranoid
approach to investment properties. Oh, and remember: they're going to
be your tenants, not your new friends.

What? That's just me? (sigh)

Posted to alt.home.repair

wayne wrote:
You could try KILZ to seal it

Wayne, no, KILZ will not seal anything. It is a water-based primer and
therefore still permeable. I know from trying to seal the stink of 25
years' worth of tobacco smoke into the walls of a house we bought
earlier this year.

KILZ is a product line, not a product.
Among the things with a Kilz label on them
is this:

http://www.kilz.com/pages/default.aspx?NavID=23

Posted to alt.home.repair

Goedjn wrote:
KILZ is a product line, not a product.
Among the things with a Kilz label on them
is this:

http://www.kilz.com/pages/default.aspx?NavID=23

Thanks for the heads-up. I'd not seen this in the local big box store,
and in a conversation I'd had here back in the late Spring I was told
that Kilz had no such ability and only to use B.I.N. Good to know I can
stick with the Kilz.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wayne wrote:
[...]

you can spray the underside of the subfloor and joists too if the smell
is showing up on a lower level.

the big thing is dont cheap out, use generous amounts and multiple
coats of outdoort poly or oil based kils.

water based products will get a little soft and allow the odor to
reappear......

Pet Door J T Woodworking 2 November 5th 06 07:50 PM
PET COFFIN J T Woodworking 0 September 14th 06 01:36 AM
PET COFFINS [email protected] Woodworking 17 June 16th 06 01:15 AM
OT pet anoyance Tom Gardner Metalworking 18 November 24th 05 04:40 AM
Pet odors David DeBoer Home Repair 13 March 21st 05 04:45 PM