Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Gas powered leaf blower???

Gentlemen;

As that time nears and I cannot afford to hire someone this year to
rake/blow all the leaves in my yard, I am destined to accomplish this
unpleasant feat by myself.

As I already have a Toro electric blower which is good for small things, the
pros seem to use a wheeled gas powered blower to move them enmass to a huge
pile for bagging/disposal.

I've just looked at Consumers Reports and they rate (on their scale) a Toro
Electric the same as a gas powered wheeled blower. How can this be?

For any of you readers who have first hand experience I would appreciate any
comparisons that can be provided regarding electric, gas backpack or gas
wheeled?

All help, advice, recommendations greatly appreciated.

Posted to alt.home.repair

bobmct wrote:
Gentlemen;

As that time nears and I cannot afford to hire someone this year to
rake/blow all the leaves in my yard, I am destined to accomplish this
unpleasant feat by myself.

As I already have a Toro electric blower which is good for small things,
the pros seem to use a wheeled gas powered blower to move them enmass to
a huge pile for bagging/disposal.

I've just looked at Consumers Reports and they rate (on their scale) a
Toro Electric the same as a gas powered wheeled blower. How can this be?

For any of you readers who have first hand experience I would appreciate
any comparisons that can be provided regarding electric, gas backpack or
gas wheeled?

All help, advice, recommendations greatly appreciated.

The electric units work fine for the average homeowner - around the house.
You are remember, tethered by an electrical cord of maybe 75"

The landscape guys use the gas models BECAUSE they need to move around
more than that & how many folks would let them hook up an extension wire.

Got it?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
bobmct wrote:
[...]

One of those cheap blue 10x10 tarps plus rope handles added to the
corners, and 4 bricks (or laundry soap jugs full of water or sand) to
weigh down the corners, is a great way to move large piles if you have a
place to dump them. (I have a back fenceline with trees that works
well.) Just blow/rake onto the tarp, grab the corner loops, and pull.

If you will be bagging them, buy one of those things to hold the bag
open so you can rake into it, and some sort of yard cart to move the
bags to the curb as you fill them. A farmer-style aluminum scoop shovel
makes a great companion to the usual leaf rake for picking up and
stuffing bundles of leave- use it like giant salad tongs.

For a single lot, electric is the way to go, IMHO. Those little gas
engines are fussy. Buy a good contractor-grade 100-foot cord, and a set
of earmuffs to wear. Even the electric ones can trash your hearing. I've
been rather happy with the 50-buck electric Toro I bought the first fall
after I bought this place- abused the hell out of it and it still
works. The vacuum bag attachment is useless, like on most, but it blows
great. Even use it for clearing dry snow, if it isn't deep enough to
drag out the gas snow blower.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

bobmct writes:

Gentlemen;

As that time nears and I cannot afford to hire someone this year to
rake/blow all the leaves in my yard, I am destined to accomplish this
unpleasant feat by myself.

As I already have a Toro electric blower which is good for small things, the
pros seem to use a wheeled gas powered blower to move them enmass to a huge
pile for bagging/disposal.

I've just looked at Consumers Reports and they rate (on their scale) a Toro
Electric the same as a gas powered wheeled blower. How can this be?

For any of you readers who have first hand experience I would appreciate any
comparisons that can be provided regarding electric, gas backpack or gas
wheeled?

All help, advice, recommendations greatly appreciated.

Where I live we're faced with truly monumental leaf fall.
I'm determined to deal with the leaves myself until I'm too old.

I've tried most of the smaller equipment including electric blowers.
They just don't cut it.

The gas back pack blower is enough for my needs.
A walk behind would be over kill.

Around here the pros use a combination of one walk behind and one or
more additional back pack blowers.

With the back pack blower I can blow the leaves into piles then
rake the leaves into a large wheeled container and then dump
the leaves into a compost pile.

If I had to bag the leaves I think I would invest in a shredder.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"bobmct" wrote in message
[...]

If you want a broad, representative sample of responses on this topic,
better post it "en espanol."

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 16 Aug 2008 14:40:20 -0400, bobmct
wrote Re Gas powered leaf blower???:

I've just looked at Consumers Reports and they rate (on their scale) a Toro
Electric the same as a gas powered wheeled blower. How can this be?

Forget about CR. Observe the landscape people in your area and note
what brand they are using. That will tell you a lot.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I have a question. Why don't you just mow them in,leave them lay, and do
their job fertilizing the yard? What is peoples infatuation with removing
leaves?

just curious.

steve
"bobmct" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

You might want to check out the little handheld stihl. The little one is
the bg-55 http://www.stihlusa.com/blowers/BG55.html

you can find it for about $139. It should last a homeowner forever.

steve

"bobmct" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve Barker DLT wrote:
I have a question. Why don't you just mow them in,leave them lay, and do
their job fertilizing the yard? What is peoples infatuation with removing
leaves?

just curious.

Because if you don't leave at least some grass showing, it dies?

Unless you mow daily, that doesn't work. When the uncompressed leaf
layer is six inches thick, you CAN'T mow them- the mower stalls out. I
start out mowing my leaves every fall, but when the major drop happens,
it just isn't an option. I don't landfill them, though- I have a back
corner with trees and chainlink fence on 2 sides, that I blow/drag them
all into. They end up waist high, but by the time the grass elsewhere in
the yard starts growing again in spring, they are down to six inches of
mulch. I don't garden, so the next owner of this place will have several
years worth of compost to play with.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sat, 16 Aug 2008 18:42:31 -0400, Claude Hopper
wrote:

All help, advice, recommendations greatly appreciated.

Leaf blowers are just like ****ing into the wind. The blower/vacs are
like using a tooth brush to paint your house. I know I had a gas
blower/vac. I even used a rake to make piles so I could vacuum faster.
Total WASTE OF TIME!
Get yourself a good bagging lawnmower; walk behind or riding. You have
to empty often but it's the easiest to clean up the leaves.

I use a mulching mower. A layer of leaves 3 inches thick just
disappears, and all the little pieces fall between the grass. And it
usually takes no more time than mowing the lawn takes.

When I don't have a mulching mower, I tape a heavy business envelope
or a piece of cardboard over the discharge chute. On another
occasion, I mounted a piece of plywood across the chute, since I am
happy to use mulch mode all year long.

The racket caused by gasoline leaf blowers is horrendous.

(Once in a while, I mow by pulling the mower backwards, in the same
pattern I usually go forwards. Because sometimes wind coming out
from below the mower blows some leaves away before they are caught by
the blade. This doesn't happen when I go backwards or when I pivot
the mower so one rear wheel stays in one spot and the mower moves to
the left or right. But if the yard is covered with leaves, this
isn't necessary, and most times it isn't neceessary. Might be
something to do with the humidity or something. )

Posted to alt.home.repair

mm wrote in message ...

The racket caused by gasoline leaf blowers is horrendous.

+1, I think they should be outlawed. All they do is blow the mess
elsewhere, so someone else has to use a broom or a rake and garbage
bags that the original leaf blower should have used in the first
place.

Cheri

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Wow, you must have a monster of a mulching mower, or small leaves. I
have a typical 21" mulcher with Honda 5.5 horse engine, and once I can't
see the grass through the leaves, it chokes to the point of dying. That
is when I know it is time to switch from mowing to the electric blower
and the rake. Maybe I need a different blade for leaf duty?

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

Claude Hopper wrote in
:

bobmct wrote:
[...]

I've done it when I had a riding bagger. Don't let it get outta hand and
it's fine. Of course that's the easiest except for repeatedly dumping the
bags. Nice if you have some woods you can drive to, pull the bags and
just dump.

When rider era ended I've done it with an electric blower into piles as
well and it works. Just make a bunch of piles, lay the bags or trash cans
down and push em in. Don't consider that a waste of time. To each his
own. Neither is wrong except for the other.

Personally I consider sitting on ones ass watching the boob tube for
hours a waste of time. Nothing to show for it except for maybe some lbs
from junk food. I don't even have cable TV.
Posted to alt.home.repair

bobmct wrote:
Gentlemen;

As that time nears and I cannot afford to hire someone this year to
rake/blow all the leaves in my yard, I am destined to accomplish this
unpleasant feat by myself.

As I already have a Toro electric blower which is good for small things, the
pros seem to use a wheeled gas powered blower to move them enmass to a huge
pile for bagging/disposal.

I've just looked at Consumers Reports and they rate (on their scale) a Toro
Electric the same as a gas powered wheeled blower. How can this be?

For any of you readers who have first hand experience I would appreciate any
comparisons that can be provided regarding electric, gas backpack or gas
wheeled?

All help, advice, recommendations greatly appreciated.

Hi,
First How big is your yard?
Posted to alt.home.repair
jim jim is offline

On Aug 16, 8:27*pm, Tony Hwang wrote:
bobmct wrote:
Gentlemen;

As that time nears and I cannot afford to hire someone this year to
rake/blow all the leaves in my yard, I am destined to accomplish this
unpleasant feat by myself.

As I already have a Toro electric blower which is good for small things, the
pros seem to use a wheeled gas powered blower to move them enmass to a huge
pile for bagging/disposal.

I've just looked at Consumers Reports and they rate (on their scale) a Toro
Electric the same as a gas powered wheeled blower. *How can this be?

For any of you readers who have first hand experience I would appreciate any
comparisons that can be provided regarding electric, gas backpack or gas
wheeled?

All help, advice, recommendations greatly appreciated. *

Hi,
First How big is your yard?- Hide quoted text -

Used my hand mower for many years works well sucks up and bag slow but
works

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve Barker DLT wrote:
if they're THAT thick, then some trees need to be cut down. That's
rediculous. But as another reply said, they can be mulched in.

(snip)

Hardly. I only have 6 trees or so in back (not counting the pines), well
spaced over a little less than half an acre. They are just very big
mature trees is all, including a couple with huge leaves. Legacy trees,
that predate the 1960 subdivision- no way do they get cut down, as long
as they are healthy. (Not sure of the exact species, other than the one
maple) I also get some of the neighbor's leaves, due to the prevailing
wind. It takes over an hour to mow the back- I'm not eager to do that
every other day during leaf drop season, which is about what it would
take to stay ahead of them. Plus of course I still have to hand-clear
all the areas the mower can't go.

I do mulch them in, until the drop rate exceeds what a weekly mow can
handle.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

on 8/16/2008 8:00 PM Cheri said the following:
mm wrote in message ...

The racket caused by gasoline leaf blowers is horrendous.

+1, I think they should be outlawed. All they do is blow the mess
elsewhere, so someone else has to use a broom or a rake and garbage
bags that the original leaf blower should have used in the first
place.

Cheri

They are outlawed in some jurisdictions.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Caesar Romano wrote:

On Sat, 16 Aug 2008 14:40:20 -0400, bobmct
wrote Re Gas powered leaf blower???:

I've just looked at Consumers Reports and they rate (on their scale) a Toro
Electric the same as a gas powered wheeled blower. How can this be?

Forget about CR. Observe the landscape people in your area and note
what brand they are using. That will tell you a lot.

I found when I read CR about stuff I knew a lot about their advice was
crap

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Claude Hopper wrote:

Leaf blowers are just like ****ing into the wind. The blower/vacs are
like using a tooth brush to paint your house. I know I had a gas
blower/vac. I even used a rake to make piles so I could vacuum faster.
Total WASTE OF TIME!

On my yard I use a hay rake, it windrows the leaves nicely and if I get
a bit of rain it compacts them and makes it easy to put lots on my
carry-all and move to the mulch pile. I probably should try baling them

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 16, 2:40*pm, bobmct wrote:
Gentlemen;

As that time nears and I cannot afford to hire someone this year to
rake/blow all the leaves in my yard, I am destined to accomplish this
unpleasant feat by myself.

As I already have a Toro electric blower which is good for small things, the
pros seem to use a wheeled gas powered blower to move them enmass to a huge
pile for bagging/disposal.

I've just looked at Consumers Reports and they rate (on their scale) a Toro
Electric the same as a gas powered wheeled blower. *How can this be?

For any of you readers who have first hand experience I would appreciate any
comparisons that can be provided regarding electric, gas backpack or gas
wheeled?

All help, advice, recommendations greatly appreciated. *

I would suggest that buying a gasoline engined tool to use for one
job a year is not a really great idea. After a couple of years, you
likely will be facing a gummed up fuel system and a real bother to
use. It also will likely be marginal utility, unless you buy a true
professional model. If your electric is not enough then hire someone
who has the big industrial equipment, or as I do, mulch the leaves.
It really is far better for most lawns. It adds organic matter and
feeds the lawn.

Note: This does not apply to all parts of the world. In some areas
you do need to get the leaves, but frankly most people who rake,
should not.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 17 Aug 2008 08:10:58 -0500, nick hull wrote Re
Gas powered leaf blower???:

In article ,
Caesar Romano wrote:

On Sat, 16 Aug 2008 14:40:20 -0400, bobmct
wrote Re Gas powered leaf blower???:

I've just looked at Consumers Reports and they rate (on their scale) a Toro
Electric the same as a gas powered wheeled blower. How can this be?

Forget about CR. Observe the landscape people in your area and note
what brand they are using. That will tell you a lot.

I found when I read CR about stuff I knew a lot about their advice was
crap

Ditto. That's why I gave up on them a long time ago.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 17 Aug 2008 08:15:24 -0500, nick hull wrote Re
Gas powered leaf blower???:

In article ,
Claude Hopper wrote:

Leaf blowers are just like ****ing into the wind. The blower/vacs are
like using a tooth brush to paint your house. I know I had a gas
blower/vac. I even used a rake to make piles so I could vacuum faster.
Total WASTE OF TIME!

On my yard I use a hay rake, it windrows the leaves nicely and if I get
a bit of rain it compacts them and makes it easy to put lots on my
carry-all and move to the mulch pile. I probably should try baling them

Now that's an interesting idea. I've seen baled pine needles for sale.
I'll bet if you can get leaves into a bale someone in the 'burbs will
buy it.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sun, 17 Aug 2008 00:16:11 GMT, aemeijers wrote:

mm wrote:

[...]

I've seen a dethatching blade, but not a mulching blade.

I the fall, which is the only time I have many leaves, the leaves are
dry and wrinkled and there is a lot of empty space in the layer of
leaves. The layer of leaves is much thicker than if the leaves were
flat. When the leaves are wet on the outside, I wait before mowing
the lawn, but the outside dries out quickly and the inside is still
brittle, I think.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Claude Hopper wrote:

Leaf blowers are just like ****ing into the wind. The blower/vacs are
like using a tooth brush to paint your house. I know I had a gas
blower/vac. I even used a rake to make piles so I could vacuum faster.
Total WASTE OF TIME!

On my yard I use a hay rake, it windrows the leaves nicely and if I get
a bit of rain it compacts them and makes it easy to put lots on my
carry-all and move to the mulch pile. I probably should try baling them

Now that's an interesting idea. I've seen baled pine needles for sale.
I'll bet if you can get leaves into a bale someone in the 'burbs will
buy it.

Charge a high enough price and I'm sure someone will.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"mm" wrote in message

I've seen a dethatching blade, but not a mulching blade.

http://www.drillspot.com/products/27...Mulching_Blade

Should be available in any decent hardware store or home center. I use it
all the time as I dislike raking. Better for nutrients too.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sun, 17 Aug 2008 15:03:12 -0400, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

"mm" wrote in message

I've seen a dethatching blade, but not a mulching blade.

http://www.drillspot.com/products/27...Mulching_Blade

Should be available in any decent hardware store or home center. I use it
all the time as I dislike raking. Better for nutrients too.

Ha! No kidding! That's why it's good for me to be in the habit of
phrasing things in terms of what I've seen. There was a time when I
would have just said "There is no such thing as a mulching blade".
Posted to alt.home.repair

Check out the 'gator' blades..

http://www.outdoor-equipment-parts.c...hp?isbn=94-907

http://www.nextag.com/gator-lawn-mow...de/search-html

http://www.lawn-parts.com/gator_mulc...Jvsw odEAglhA

just google 'gator blades'

wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"mm" wrote in message
I've seen a dethatching blade, but not a mulching blade.

http://www.drillspot.com/products/27...Mulching_Blade

Should be available in any decent hardware store or home center. I use it
all the time as I dislike raking. Better for nutrients too.

Oh, my mower came with a mulching blade (seeing as how it doesn't have a
discharge chute), and I replaced it with one that looked just like it
when the first one got dull. (still haven't bought a grinder.)

But it still doesn't like deep leaves.

--
aem sends...

Leaf Blower as Snow Blower [email protected] Home Ownership 6 January 8th 08 01:42 AM
Leaf blower ..plus Charles Pisano Home Repair 4 April 28th 07 02:45 AM
Use a leaf blower? Steve Home Ownership 18 November 1st 05 12:45 PM
Leaf Blower Help Harry Home Repair 3 September 23rd 05 09:41 PM
Leaf Blower Glenn Hewitt Home Repair 2 May 13th 05 08:29 PM