Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Gas powered leaf blower???

On Sun, 17 Aug 2008 00:16:11 GMT, aemeijers wrote:

mm wrote:

The racket caused by gasoline leaf blowers is horrendous.

(Once in a while, I mow by pulling the mower backwards, in the same
pattern I usually go forwards. Because sometimes wind coming out
from below the mower blows some leaves away before they are caught by
the blade. This doesn't happen when I go backwards or when I pivot
the mower so one rear wheel stays in one spot and the mower moves to
the left or right. But if the yard is covered with leaves, this
isn't necessary, and most times it isn't neceessary. Might be
something to do with the humidity or something. )

Wow, you must have a monster of a mulching mower, or small leaves. I
have a typical 21" mulcher with Honda 5.5 horse engine, and once I can't
see the grass through the leaves, it chokes to the point of dying. That
is when I know it is time to switch from mowing to the electric blower
and the rake. Maybe I need a different blade for leaf duty?

I've seen a dethatching blade, but not a mulching blade.

I the fall, which is the only time I have many leaves, the leaves are
dry and wrinkled and there is a lot of empty space in the layer of
leaves. The layer of leaves is much thicker than if the leaves were
flat. When the leaves are wet on the outside, I wait before mowing
the lawn, but the outside dries out quickly and the inside is still
brittle, I think.