Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT The Beijing Olympic Opening ceremonies.

OT I know but was watching the Olympic opening ceremonies, live, this
morning (Friday Aug 8th).

I scheduled to start at 07.00 AM our local time here in eastern
Canada. But didn't join it until a couple of hours later.

Blessed with very few interruptions/commercials/announcements the
Canadian CBC did a very good job. The preliminariese were most
impressive and then the athletic teams marched in, each colourful and
preceded by their chosen national flag bearer.

Surprised itwas not on any of the US channels we receive here!
Understand it will be on this evening.
Posted to alt.home.repair
a a is offline

terry wrote:
OT I know but was watching the Olympic opening ceremonies, live, this
morning (Friday Aug 8th).

I scheduled to start at 07.00 AM our local time here in eastern
Canada. But didn't join it until a couple of hours later.

Blessed with very few interruptions/commercials/announcements the
Canadian CBC did a very good job. The preliminariese were most
impressive and then the athletic teams marched in, each colourful and
preceded by their chosen national flag bearer.

Surprised itwas not on any of the US channels we receive here!
Understand it will be on this evening.

I watched it live, too... (in NS, eh!) For all that is negative about China
and these games, the opening ceremony was stunning - absolutely stunning.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Yes, they must tape delay it for us prude americans. There might be a
wardrobe malfunction or something.....

wouldn't want us to see a boob or something you know.

"terry" wrote in message
OT I know but was watching the Olympic opening ceremonies, live, this
morning (Friday Aug 8th).

I scheduled to start at 07.00 AM our local time here in eastern
Canada. But didn't join it until a couple of hours later.

Blessed with very few interruptions/commercials/announcements the
Canadian CBC did a very good job. The preliminariese were most
impressive and then the athletic teams marched in, each colourful and
preceded by their chosen national flag bearer.

Surprised itwas not on any of the US channels we receive here!
Understand it will be on this evening.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"terry" wrote in message
OT I know but was watching the Olympic opening ceremonies, live, this
morning (Friday Aug 8th).

I scheduled to start at 07.00 AM our local time here in eastern
Canada. But didn't join it until a couple of hours later.

Blessed with very few interruptions/commercials/announcements the
Canadian CBC did a very good job. The preliminariese were most
impressive and then the athletic teams marched in, each colourful and
preceded by their chosen national flag bearer.

Surprised itwas not on any of the US channels we receive here!
Understand it will be on this evening.

It started at 8 tonight. given the numerology thing, I figured it would come
on at 8:08 today 8-8-08. Even better, I watched it and in true American
form, at 8:08 a Budweiser commercial came on. Must be a good omen.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Art is offline

I feel sorry for the next host country.

By the way when the boxes were going up and down, I guessed correctly that
there were people inside. My wife said it had to be computer controlled
mechanics. When they came out waving I won.

"terry" wrote in message
OT I know but was watching the Olympic opening ceremonies, live, this
morning (Friday Aug 8th).

I scheduled to start at 07.00 AM our local time here in eastern
Canada. But didn't join it until a couple of hours later.

Blessed with very few interruptions/commercials/announcements the
Canadian CBC did a very good job. The preliminariese were most
impressive and then the athletic teams marched in, each colourful and
preceded by their chosen national flag bearer.

Surprised itwas not on any of the US channels we receive here!
Understand it will be on this evening.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Art" wrote in message
m...
I feel sorry for the next host country.

By the way when the boxes were going up and down, I guessed correctly that
there were people inside. My wife said it had to be computer controlled
mechanics. When they came out waving I won.

I was trying to figure out how they could move in and operate a big enough
hydraulic or pneumatic system. The co-ordination was excellent.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Steve Barker DLT" wrote:

Yes, they must tape delay it for us prude americans. There might be a
wardrobe malfunction or something.....

Well actually they tape delay it so NBC can get the big bucks for
putting it on in prime time. This happens for every Olympics outside the
US mainline time zones.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message

"Art" wrote in message
m...
I feel sorry for the next host country.

By the way when the boxes were going up and down, I guessed correctly
that there were people inside. My wife said it had to be computer
controlled mechanics. When they came out waving I won.

I was trying to figure out how they could move in and operate a big enough
hydraulic or pneumatic system. The co-ordination was excellent.

I didn't watch the opening ceremonies but, can you even begin to imagine the
pressure that the folks who planned and coordinated the event were under?
The phrase "head's will roll" sort of takes on a new - or possibly old
meaning!.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 8 Aug 2008 23:12:16 -0600, Doug Brown wrote:
"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message

"Art" wrote in message
m...
I feel sorry for the next host country.

By the way when the boxes were going up and down, I guessed correctly
that there were people inside. My wife said it had to be computer
controlled mechanics. When they came out waving I won.

I was trying to figure out how they could move in and operate a big enough
hydraulic or pneumatic system. The co-ordination was excellent.

I didn't watch the opening ceremonies but, can you even begin to imagine the
pressure that the folks who planned and coordinated the event were under?
The phrase "head's will roll" sort of takes on a new - or possibly old
meaning!.

Here's how I described to a brother in an email:

It's been ****ing ostentatious like a mile wide elvis suit, but simply
beautiful and weirdly compelling. It's been giving me the chills.
Totally overdone, overblown, magnificent, amazing, long winded, but I
can't take my eyes away. Two thousand dancers, drummers, doing
impossibly synchronized displays on an LED screen several football fields
wide. Now they're dancing on on an 100' globe, the ones in the
southern hemisphere upside down.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"saving face" isn't just for Japanese any more!

From what I know of China, the government is a lot less polite with
dissenters than in the USA.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Doug Brown" wrote in message
el...

I didn't watch the opening ceremonies but, can you even begin to imagine the
pressure that the folks who planned and coordinated the event were under?
The phrase "head's will roll" sort of takes on a new - or possibly old
meaning!.

Posted to alt.home.repair

All that time, energy, and effort could have been put towards feeding hungry
people.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"AZ Nomad" wrote in message

Here's how I described to a brother in an email:

It's been ****ing ostentatious like a mile wide elvis suit, but simply
beautiful and weirdly compelling. It's been giving me the chills.
Totally overdone, overblown, magnificent, amazing, long winded, but I
can't take my eyes away. Two thousand dancers, drummers, doing
impossibly synchronized displays on an LED screen several football fields
wide. Now they're dancing on on an 100' globe, the ones in the
southern hemisphere upside down.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 09 Aug 2008 00:28:01 -0400, Kurt Ullman
wrote:

In article ,
"Steve Barker DLT" wrote:

Yes, they must tape delay it for us prude americans. There might be a
wardrobe malfunction or something.....

Well actually they tape delay it so NBC can get the big bucks for
putting it on in prime time. This happens for every Olympics outside the
US mainline time zones.

Exactly- Don't attribute to prudishness what can be explained by
corporate greed.g

Seems to me, though, that with the current state of cable feeds, NBC
could do both a live feed and a primetime feed. Probably need the
time to insert appropriate commercials or something.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sat, 09 Aug 2008 08:47:34 -0400, Jim Elbrecht
wrote:

On Sat, 09 Aug 2008 00:28:01 -0400, Kurt Ullman
wrote:

In article ,
"Steve Barker DLT" wrote:

Yes, they must tape delay it for us prude americans. There might be a
wardrobe malfunction or something.....

Well actually they tape delay it so NBC can get the big bucks for
putting it on in prime time. This happens for every Olympics outside the
US mainline time zones.

Exactly- Don't attribute to prudishness what can be explained by
corporate greed.g

Seems to me, though, that with the current state of cable feeds, NBC
could do both a live feed and a primetime feed. Probably need the
time to insert appropriate commercials or something.

I"m no fan of the Olympic broadcasts, but I think they also rearrange
time slots so things that are simultaneous or overlapping can seen
sequentially.

I watched a little tonight, and it is nice to watch without already
knowing who won. Certainly there are enough tv jokes about taping
the football game and someone spoiling the game for him.

If I listened to the local radio and tv news earlier today -- no
hunting the internet -- would I have known who won?

Jim