Posted to alt.home.repair

Default chainsaw purchase

I'm trying to decide between these four chainsaws (as I'm looking for
an electric powered one that is for tree trimming as well as cutting a
small evergreen tree in the front yard of the house:

http://www.homedepot.ca/webapp/wcs/s...k=P_PartNumber
http://www.homedepot.ca/webapp/wcs/s...k=P_PartNumber
http://www.homedepot.ca/webapp/wcs/s...k=P_PartNumber

However, I'm having trouble finding out exactly the pros and cons of
each one. The guides that I've found on google don't help me very much
in terms of electric chainsaws for cutting down small trees as well as
trimming the branches. Would be very much appreciated to hear about
the guidelines from your experiences.
Posted to alt.home.repair

ssylee wrote:

I'm trying to decide between these four chainsaws (as I'm looking for
an electric powered one that is for tree trimming as well as cutting a
small evergreen tree in the front yard of the house:

http://www.homedepot.ca/webapp/wcs/s...k=P_PartNumber

16" 3hp remington- $71
http://www.homedepot.ca/webapp/wcs/s...k=P_PartNumber

16" 3.5hp remington with bag $107
http://www.homedepot.ca/webapp/wcs/s...k=P_PartNumber

12" 1.5 hp remington $69

How about this one-
http://www.amazon.com/Poulan-18-Inch...7611216&sr=8-1
Poulan Pro, 18" , 4HP on Amazon for $86. [free shipping]

However, I'm having trouble finding out exactly the pros and cons of
each one. The guides that I've found on google don't help me very much
in terms of electric chainsaws for cutting down small trees as well as
trimming the branches. Would be very much appreciated to hear about
the guidelines from your experiences.

I wouldn't get anything smaller than 14" if you think you ever might
want to cut a tree over about 6-8" down.

I love my electric [Remington 14"- pd $40 5-6 yrs ago] especially
since I might not use it for a year or so. I've cut down a couple
18" trees with it & limbed them up w/o difficulty.

It is only 1.5 hp- but I use it so infrequently I'm able to keep the
chain razor sharp. I let the saw do the work and never work more
than an hour at a time.

A small electric saw is *not* a big honking Stihl. . . but they are
better suited to lying idle for a year, being picked up, filled with
bar oil & put to work than a gas saw. When you're done, just hang
it up- no gas to drain, mix or store.

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

ssylee wrote:
I'm trying to decide between these four chainsaws (as I'm looking for
an electric powered one that is for tree trimming as well as cutting a
small evergreen tree in the front yard of the house:

http://www.homedepot.ca/webapp/wcs/s...k=P_PartNumber
http://www.homedepot.ca/webapp/wcs/s...k=P_PartNumber
http://www.homedepot.ca/webapp/wcs/s...k=P_PartNumber

However, I'm having trouble finding out exactly the pros and cons of
each one. The guides that I've found on google don't help me very much
in terms of electric chainsaws for cutting down small trees as well as
trimming the branches. Would be very much appreciated to hear about
the guidelines from your experiences.

Hi,
I'd go for Stihl low noise low emission gas model. I always get
frustrated with electric one.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Steve Barker DLT" wrote:

You cannot say 'electric' and 'chainsaw' in the same sentence.

You just did!

You might
just as well get you a good sharp bow saw. you'll be just as happy.

Having done a fair amount of work with a good sharp bow saw, I agree.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"ssylee" wrote in message
I'm trying to decide between these four chainsaws (as I'm looking for
an electric powered one that is for tree trimming as well as cutting a
small evergreen tree in the front yard of the house:

http://www.homedepot.ca/webapp/wcs/s...k=P_PartNumber
http://www.homedepot.ca/webapp/wcs/s...k=P_PartNumber
http://www.homedepot.ca/webapp/wcs/s...k=P_PartNumber

However, I'm having trouble finding out exactly the pros and cons of
each one. The guides that I've found on google don't help me very much
in terms of electric chainsaws for cutting down small trees as well as
trimming the branches. Would be very much appreciated to hear about
the guidelines from your experiences.

Yup,
I use bow saw and for bigger job Stihl chain saw. Many things are source
of irritation in life. electric chainsaw is one of them, LOL! Bow saw
gives good exercise too!
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "Steve Barker DLT" wrote:
You cannot say 'electric' and 'chainsaw' in the same sentence. You might
just as well get you a good sharp bow saw. you'll be just as happy.

Electric chainsaws work just fine for light-duty pruning.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 2, 10:50*am, (Doug Miller) wrote:
In article , "Steve Barker DLT" wrote:

You cannot say 'electric' and 'chainsaw' in the same sentence. *You might
just as well get you a good sharp bow saw. *you'll be just as happy.

Electric chainsaws work just fine for light-duty pruning.

Would another factor of the purchase involve the weight of the
chainsaw?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Smitty Two wrote:

In article ,
"Steve Barker DLT" wrote:

You cannot say 'electric' and 'chainsaw' in the same sentence.

You just did!

You might
just as well get you a good sharp bow saw. you'll be just as happy.

Having done a fair amount of work with a good sharp bow saw, I agree.

Having done a fair amount of work with both, these days I'd go for the
electric. 30 yrs ago I'd have agreed with you, but electric saws
have gotten better, and my cardio system has gotten worse.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article
,
ssylee wrote:

On Aug 2, 10:50*am, (Doug Miller) wrote:
In article r Gdnauhub-9HwnVnZ2dnUVZ , "Steve Barker
DLT" wrote:

You cannot say 'electric' and 'chainsaw' in the same sentence. *You might
just as well get you a good sharp bow saw. *you'll be just as happy.

Electric chainsaws work just fine for light-duty pruning.

Would another factor of the purchase involve the weight of the
chainsaw?

I find light weight electrics just the thing for working on top of a
ladder; I can start & stop it with one hand

Posted to alt.home.repair

My Dad uses those two words in a sentence, and he's very pleased.

Depending on the size of the affected branches, a Sawzall from Harbor
Freight might work very well. Sometimes their sawzall goes on sale for $20.

I used a sawzall and a lot of blades to take out a tree stump. And a lot of
labor.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Steve Barker DLT" wrote in message
You cannot say 'electric' and 'chainsaw' in the same sentence. You might
just as well get you a good sharp bow saw. you'll be just as happy.

Posted to alt.home.repair

so does a good lopper.

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
In article , "Steve Barker
DLT" wrote:
You cannot say 'electric' and 'chainsaw' in the same sentence. You might
just as well get you a good sharp bow saw. you'll be just as happy.

Electric chainsaws work just fine for light-duty pruning.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat 02 Aug 2008 07:56:53p, Steve Barker DLT told us...

so does a good lopper.

Indeed it does.

DLT" wrote:
You cannot say 'electric' and 'chainsaw' in the same sentence. You

might
just as well get you a good sharp bow saw. you'll be just as happy.

Electric chainsaws work just fine for light-duty pruning.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Saturday, 08(VIII)/02(II)/08(MMVIII)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 2, 4:34*pm, Jim Elbrecht wrote:

Having done a fair amount of work with both, these days I'd go for the
electric. * 30 yrs ago I'd have agreed with you, but electric saws
have gotten better, and my cardio system has gotten worse.

Jim

I agree 100%. I am not in bad condition, but I am a little lazy and
don't like doing hard yard work on a hot day. The small electric I
have works find. Yea, I have used good sharp hand says for the use,
but I will stick with the electric. I had a gas model but keeping it
in working condition was just not worth the work for as little as I
did.

Posted to alt.home.repair

DLT" wrote:
You cannot say 'electric' and 'chainsaw' in the same sentence. You might
just as well get you a good sharp bow saw. you'll be just as happy.

Electric chainsaws work just fine for light-duty pruning.

In my experience, there is a zone in the middle- too big for loppers,
but not worth digging out a 'real' chainsaw for (if you have one, which
I currently don't). Until I got my electric chainsaw, I either used a
sharp well-lubed bow saw (which still doesn't work worth squat on green
wood- it keeps hanging up), or a demo blade in a sawzall. For this small
2/3 acre lot, and 3-4 times a year use, an electric fills the bill
rather well. I wouldn't use it for production work. or on anything over
maybe six inches, but they do have their place. It was an impulse
purchase- 10 bucks at a yard sale, from a guy that moved into a condo,
and therefore wasn't allowed to use it any more. Not sure I would pay
new retail for one- the price differential between electric and a
light-duty gas isn't that big- but if you find one at a yard sale or
pawn shop at a good price, I'd go for it.

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve Barker DLT" wrote in message
You cannot say 'electric' and 'chainsaw' in the same sentence. You might
just as well get you a good sharp bow saw. you'll be just as happy.

I have owned two electric chain saws. They were both plastic/metal POSs
that ended up in the landfill. If it's small enough to be handled by an
electric, a bow saw or a pole saw will do it just as good or better, and
last forever. Learn how to make the cuts in their proper sequence so the
branches drop where you want and don't pinch the saw.

The only electric chains saw I would consider would be a high end one on a
pole, as I have some high trimming to do. The cheaper ones are crap.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve Barker DLT" wrote in message
so does a good lopper.

Some of those with the double compound jaws they have now look like they
could cut through a railroad tie. Incredible power just through applied
physics.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

I've got a pair of Fiskers from walmart that look like a yuppified toy.
Well i tell you what, they will cut through a 2.5" limb without much effort
at all! I love them. i have a bracket on my ztr mower that they ride on,
and if a limb gets in the way whilst mowing, it's gone and mowed over right
on the spot.