SteveB

Default What chainsaw do you like and why?

We went to the cabin this past weekend. I am going to need a chainsaw for
cutting firewood, and clearing some dead wood. None of the dead wood is
more than 8" in diameter. I have plenty of downed wood in the area where I
live, and don't want to cut anything bigger than about 8" for firewood,
because I don't want all the work of splitting it. I would cut about a cord
a year.

Therefore, I am thinking 16" chainsaw. BUT, I always have a tendency to buy
a little bigger for that once in a while when you need the bigger.

BUT, I goes to the stores, and see Poulan, Husqvarna, Homelite, Echo, Stihl,
etc. with prices all over the map.

I also see engines with different cc displacements, from 37 to 55 on
chainsaws with the same bar length. What's up with that? Bigger engines
better?

I would like to ask:

Which brand do you like and why?
Which brand lasts the longest?
Which has the least downtime?
Does any have a problem with getting spare parts?

Would you do the 16, 18, or 20 inch?

Would you go for the bigger cc engine and why?

Thanks in advance.

Steve

Harry K

SteveB wrote:
[...]

Lots of questions. Boils down to what you are willing to pay and how
much overkill do you want. If you are serious about sticking with no
bigger than 8" wood, you don't need much of a saw. Any saw with a 10"
or longer bar will do fine.
You are also talking about very light use for the saw. For this you
don't need to go to the professional quality saws - those are the ones
with the high prices. Others will say that the homeowner quality saws
are not worth anything. The problems with those saws are poor
maintenance, most common is leaving gas in them thus causing crud to
build up in the carbs and ports. Empty them and run them dry before
putting away cures most maintenance problems.

Now to my likes. I cut 8-10 cord (or more) per year and thus need good
saws. I have 3, 2 pro quality, one homeowner ranging from 16" to 24".
Huskies and Stihl. Have had Homelight, Poulan, Mac in past. All
are/were good saws.

For your use go for about a 16" bar (overkill but you never know) that
is on sale or shop second hand stores if you know how to check one out.
Homeowner quality will do just fine for your use. Any of the known
brands are also O.K. I would buy in a dealer shop, not in a big box
store.

Harry K

Edwin Pawlowski

"SteveB" wrote in message I would like to ask:

Which brand do you like and why?

Stihl. Reliable, starts easily, lasts a long time. #2 choice would be
Husquevarna My original Homelite did not make one year and went to the junk
yard worn out.

Which brand lasts the longest?
Which has the least downtime?
Does any have a problem with getting spare parts?

See above brands

Would you do the 16, 18, or 20 inch?

16 is plenty or my use.

Would you go for the bigger cc engine and why?

Bigger is heavier. I'm not cutting down the forrest and don't need more
power. I do need something that starts easily and runs well, thus the Stihl

Fred

"SteveB" wrote in message
[...]

I think if you know how to maintain chainsaws even a cheaper one, but not
too cheap, would be ok. There is nothing cuts better than a new chain. Too
lazy and cheap to go to the shop and wait a week for my chains to be sharpen
so I got 10 new chains, a few extra bars and one of those bench type disk
chain sharpeners but I still touch up with my file to get it sharp. If
you're stuck in the cabin, learn to sharp chains as the best chainsaw will
be useless with a dull chain. With that said my choice would be Echo, Husky
or Stihl. Stihl has two lines - one for home and the other for commercial
use. I would invest in a spare bar and chain just to get you out of a jam
once in a while. I had a tree lean backwards and pinched my bar - a spare
bar and chain would be nice. For small stuff, like 8" wood, I would go with
Echo. Some companies put a larger chain on the saw just to have a better
sale and that is unfortunate as sometime you need to bury the chain into the
tree and an under sized engine just dies. If I had a choice I would go with
a little one (12" Echo) and a 24" Stihl - that would take care most of
anything I have. Hey, you may moved into another cabin with 40" trees.

HotRod

I have a 16" Stihl and a 20" homelite. I use the Stihl 90% of the time
because it's a lot lighter and easier to use for long periods. I use the
Homelite when I need to down a large tree and cut the trunk. In a horizontal
position the weight is not an issue. For clearing the brush and small stuff
back to the Stihl. Don't forget to buy a plastic chain guard for when you
store it and proper safety gear.

"Fred" wrote in message

"SteveB" wrote in message
[...]

dean

Get one with the smallest chain you can. 12" is plenty. ANy of the
above-mentioned saws will be fine for your needs, just not the homelite
(I burned out 2 homelite blowers before getting a husqy, which is a
dream to use in comparison). Stihl is the best. ANd get a file to
sharpen the chains, with a little practice you can sharpen a chain to
new in 2-3 minutes. I sharpen mine in the fields at least once or twice
in a day, especially if the trees are muddy.

Dean

Bill

Stihl Magnum Professional MS 460.

-Pro chain saw.
-A little more power than the 440.
-16" to 32" inch bar length.
-14.3 lbs (less weight than 650, 660, or 880.)
-My "logger" friends all perfer Stihl, which is unusual for these guys.
Usually they can't agree on anything! (Ford, Chevy, etc....)

Note: I'm mostly cutting smaller stuff, sometimes larger stuff. If you're
always cutting larger stuff and using a long bar, then might want a saw with
more power, but of course it will weight more...

Various Stihl model specs...
http://www.stihl.us/chainsaws/comparison.html

Harry K

Bill wrote:
Stihl Magnum Professional MS 460.

-Pro chain saw.
-A little more power than the 440.
-16" to 32" inch bar length.
-14.3 lbs (less weight than 650, 660, or 880.)
-My "logger" friends all perfer Stihl, which is unusual for these guys.
Usually they can't agree on anything! (Ford, Chevy, etc....)

Note: I'm mostly cutting smaller stuff, sometimes larger stuff. If you're
always cutting larger stuff and using a long bar, then might want a saw with
more power, but of course it will weight more...

Various Stihl model specs...
http://www.stihl.us/chainsaws/comparison.html

Bit of overkill to samy the least. With that much saw he wouldn't even
need to start it, just set it on the log and break it apart.

Harry K

Stormin Mormon

Stihl and Husqy have the reputation for being the best. I've got two saws,
one is a Stihl home owner model (16 inch bar) and the other one is a
Homelite, also 16 inch.

You might want to buy the lightest one you can find, figuring you'll have to
carry it a lot. And use it, holding it. That's one of the reasons I like my
Homelite, it's, well, lite.

The displacement is the engine size. My saw is a Homelite PS-33, which isn't
a public school. (grin). It's a 33 cc engine. Works OK, if a bit under
powered. It's adequate for the job. Adn would do 8 inch wood easy enough.

I'd used a couple of used saws, which never ran quite right. To get this
Homelite was a dream. After it starts I can set it down for a couple
minutes, and it will keep idling. Don't have to spend my entire day yanking
on the ripcord to get it started.

The instruction manual shows the logger guy bent over with the saw on the
ground while starting it. Won't happen with me, I don't bend that well.

Talk with several other friends with saws, and ask for some safety training.
Really easy to get hurt with a chainsaw.
--

Christopher A. Young
Do good work.

"SteveB" wrote in message
[...]

No

Steve - Husqvarna, hands down. Stihl would be second choice, echo 3rd.

I bought my Husqvarna in 1997 and have a lot of hours on it. I do not use it
professionally but have done a lot of hurricane relief work, campground and
home work with it. I run it dry when I need to store it for a while. it has
never failed to start. I ran it for about 6-8 hours a day for a week doing
Katrina cleanup. It NEVER failed me. I have an 18" bar yet was cutting up to
30"+ trees (Cut from both sides). Some pictures of it in use are at
http://www.peppel.com/katrina/

Another key, as others have said, is to keep it sharp. It makes the jobs
much easier.

Bigger engine = more power but more weight. Get as big of as saw as you can
be comfortable to handle. Too much weight will be unsafe if you cant handle
it. Spare parts for Husqvarna are easy to get from my saw shop, cant easily
find stuff at the blue or orange store though.

I would NEVER get a craftsman, paulin, homelite or new macullough.

"SteveB" wrote in message
[...]

Bill

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message

...Talk with several other friends with saws, and ask for some
safety training. Really easy to get hurt with a chainsaw.

Excellent advice! This is one product where you do want to read *all* the
safety precautions in the instruction manual. Reading them will give you an
understanding of how cutting with the saw in a certain manner can cause
"kickbacks" - and how to cut to minimize this from happening. Also how to
stand so if the saw kicks back, you will be out of the way. See links below.

Warning and kickback information from a "home use" chain saw manual...
ftp://ftp.electrolux-na.com/ProdInfo...oor/88308e.pdf

So far as I know, logging is *the* most dangerous job. Read following...
http://www.worksafebc.com/news/features/new_60_50.asp

i own an 041 stihl that i bought in 1982 and it still works
well.have replaced the fuel lines 4 times and 2 carb diaphrams. the
husky and echo are good saws also. the thing about saws is,service
wise,is they will all need fuel system work in time,the cheeper the saw
the more labor it takes to get it apart and back together.there arent
many poulands or remingtons that have cut 8 cords of wood a year since
1982 and are still in good shape or running..weight of the saw didnt
used to bother me,but the 041 has become to heavy for some reason unless
im cutting horazontil logs so i picked up a used 08 stihl ,put new fuel
lines on it and use it all i can bcause its light..... lucas

dean

With all due respect Bill, although that is probably the best saw in
the world (I have the same one), its complete overkill for occasional
8" cuts! Plus it costs $800

I've had good results with various Poulan saws. (My 3.4 c.i. saw is now
25-yrs. old and runs like new after many hundreds of hours of use.)
Prices of each were a fraction of similar Stihl.

One of the lightweight 2.0 c.i. models would likely suit you best.
Light weight and low noise reduce fatigue factor and really boost
safety. Shorter bar is less prone to kickback, and easier to keep from
dirt and stones.

Chainsaws can inflict nasty injuries, as can falling trees.
Ballistic-nylon chaps, eye&ear-protection help a lot, but knowing how
to hold the saw, position your feet, and avoid binding the cut are real
safety-factors. Books are available, but learning from an expert is
invaluable. Good excuse to not work alone in the woods, too.

Fresh fuel&oil mix, proper chain lube and sharpening are major factors
in reducing downtime, as is staying out of ER.

For bucking such small pieces, you might want to make a "buck" to hold
the pieces off the ground and keep them from pinching the chain. Pairs
of tubafore bolted to pivot as an "X" with tubafores joining legs
(screwed & glued.) With helper feeding pieces onto buck, the chips can
really fly.

HTH,

Duane Bozarth

SteveB wrote:

The one someone else is using...

HotRod

Dean, muddy tree's. Don't you wash them first???? I agree about the Homelite
but it was free and I have two others still for parts. Can't beat that
price. Thing starts in 2-3 pulls every time

dean

I brush the mud off as much as I can. Generally its dry, but on the
underside of the tree sometimes that's difficult. Or you can chip off
the bark where you're going to cut.