HotRod

I have a 16" Stihl and a 20" homelite. I use the Stihl 90% of the time
because it's a lot lighter and easier to use for long periods. I use the
Homelite when I need to down a large tree and cut the trunk. In a horizontal
position the weight is not an issue. For clearing the brush and small stuff
back to the Stihl. Don't forget to buy a plastic chain guard for when you
store it and proper safety gear.

"Fred" wrote in message

"SteveB" wrote in message
We went to the cabin this past weekend. I am going to need a chainsaw
for cutting firewood, and clearing some dead wood. None of the dead wood
is more than 8" in diameter. I have plenty of downed wood in the area
where I live, and don't want to cut anything bigger than about 8" for
firewood, because I don't want all the work of splitting it. I would cut
about a cord a year.

Therefore, I am thinking 16" chainsaw. BUT, I always have a tendency to
buy a little bigger for that once in a while when you need the bigger.

BUT, I goes to the stores, and see Poulan, Husqvarna, Homelite, Echo,
Stihl, etc. with prices all over the map.

I also see engines with different cc displacements, from 37 to 55 on
chainsaws with the same bar length. What's up with that? Bigger engines
better?

I would like to ask:

Which brand do you like and why?
Which brand lasts the longest?
Which has the least downtime?
Does any have a problem with getting spare parts?

Would you do the 16, 18, or 20 inch?

Would you go for the bigger cc engine and why?

Thanks in advance.

Steve

I think if you know how to maintain chainsaws even a cheaper one, but not
too cheap, would be ok. There is nothing cuts better than a new chain. Too
lazy and cheap to go to the shop and wait a week for my chains to be
sharpen so I got 10 new chains, a few extra bars and one of those bench
type disk chain sharpeners but I still touch up with my file to get it
sharp. If you're stuck in the cabin, learn to sharp chains as the best
chainsaw will be useless with a dull chain. With that said my choice would
be Echo, Husky or Stihl. Stihl has two lines - one for home and the other
for commercial use. I would invest in a spare bar and chain just to get
you out of a jam once in a while. I had a tree lean backwards and pinched
my bar - a spare bar and chain would be nice. For small stuff, like 8"
wood, I would go with Echo. Some companies put a larger chain on the saw
just to have a better sale and that is unfortunate as sometime you need to
bury the chain into the tree and an under sized engine just dies. If I had
a choice I would go with a little one (12" Echo) and a 24" Stihl - that
would take care most of anything I have. Hey, you may moved into another
cabin with 40" trees.