Posted to alt.home.repair

Default installing light in tiled shower ceiling

Folks,

I'm redoing my shower stall. I'm interested in tiling the shower
ceiling, and putting a recessed light fixture in place, as well.

Are there any issues with installing a recessed light in a tile
ceiling?

- Thanks, in advance,

Todd
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Todd wrote:
Are there any issues with installing a recessed light in a tile
ceiling?

Not particularly that I'm aware of -- there's one in the shower stall
here that's been fine for nearly 30 years now.

The fixture is, of course, watertight and designed for the application
including a gasket around the decorative bezel.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 30, 2:30*pm, Todd wrote:
Folks,

I'm redoing my shower stall. I'm interested in tiling the shower
ceiling, and putting a recessed light fixture in place, as well.

Are there any issues with installing *a recessed light in a tile
ceiling?

- Thanks, in advance,

Todd

Keep in mind because the light is in the shower, it must be on a GFI.
Also, if you don't have a fan in your bath, now might be a good time
to consider a light/fan combo.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 30, 12:58*pm, Mikepier wrote:
On Jul 30, 2:30*pm, Todd wrote:

Folks,

I'm redoing my shower stall. I'm interested in tiling the shower
ceiling, and putting a recessed light fixture in place, as well.

Are there any issues with installing *a recessed light in a tile
ceiling?

- Thanks, in advance,

Todd

Keep in mind because the light is in the shower, it must be on a GFI.
Also, if you don't have a fan in your bath, now might be a good time
to consider a light/fan combo.

An excellent thought. Wasn't thinking about the GFI angle, but of
course, I'll have to put the light on one. So what about tiling the
ceiling? Currently, the celing is low-ish, and has sheetrock on it.
My understanding is that I need to remove the plain sheetrock, apply
the cement backerboard to the ceiling joists, and tile away. Any
issues with this? Also, I assume it would behoove me to cut the hole
out for my light before I apply the tile. :-) Any thoughts on
techniques for tiling the ceiling?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 30, 2:30*pm, Todd wrote:

[...]

techniques for tiling the ceiling?- Hide quoted text -

I seem to recall that you can just tile right over the sheetrock, but
I'm not sure. But I don't see why you can't just laminate 1/4" backer
over the sheetrock as long as you screw into the joists. Its not like
your going to walk on them.