Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Installing a ceiling fan in a light fixture

There is a light fixture in my dining with 1 switch on the wall that I
want to convert to a ceiling fan (with light).

Do I need to redo the wiring?

If I have to hire a handyman, what would be approximate installation
cost?

Thanks for your response.

SR.

Posted to alt.home.repair

newbee wrote:
There is a light fixture in my dining with 1 switch on the wall that I
want to convert to a ceiling fan (with light).

Do I need to redo the wiring?

If I have to hire a handyman, what would be approximate installation
cost?

Thanks for your response.

SR.

This is an easy DIY (a simple google search on ceiling fan installation
will give you a lot of help). The biggest issue is ensuring that you
support the fan properly. The big home stores sell special electrical
boxes designed for supporting ceiling fans. The boxes have supports to
connect to the ceiling joists.

Past that many fans these days come with remote controls. When I did
this exact thing in our bedroom, I purchased a wall switch
(http://www.hunterprestige.com/prodSu...e=acc&sType=30)
that remotely controls the fan and the light. There was no need for
additional wiring. The switch is expensive, but it saved me running an
additional line. Note that the switch requires a 12 volt battery (like
the ones in garage door openers).

Of course if you're scared of working with electrical stuff, I'd hire
it out. If you want an approximate cost, call a handyman and ask what
he charges.

Doug

Posted to alt.home.repair

as the above pointer noted...it's well within the ability of a DIY'er

All you need is a black / white / ground.. Some older systems do not have
a ground wire.

There are Fan Rated Electrical Box units available.. Do NOT
attempt to hang a fan on a standard outlet box !!!

Having access from above helps a little, but is not crucial.

Two ways of controlling the fan...and light. You can use
the pull chains for both fan and light or use the wall switch
to control the light and use pull chain to control the fan, i.e.
leave light pull chain always on and use wall switch to turn
power on and off, while using fan pull chain to control fan.

Or you can control both fan and light by remote control
replacing the wall switch. Remote control unit is self contained.
At the wall switch connect the switched hot wire
(normally black), to the feed hot wire... again black...(connect
both black wires together with a wire nut so that ceiling
box is always hot. In the ceiling box...connect hot and neutral
to the remote control receiver and then the hot, neutral and light
outputs of the receiver to the fan wiring. Test the operation
completely before reassembling the fan shroud and blades because
sometimes those antenna's can be real picky.

HD has the bracket for about $10. and also carries a wall box mounted
remote control unit by Hampton Bay for about 30.00

Remember to turn power off at the circuit breaker when working on the
switch outlet.

Home Depot was quoting a price of around $150.00 plus parts to
install a ceiling fan.

You didn't list your level of comfort with working on electrical circuits.
If you've replaced switches / outlets / lights etc then you probably
have the required tools available. If not, you might wish to have
it professionally installed. If you still want to go ahead, remember to
test power to outlet after shutting off the breaker (or switch) to CONFIRM
that the circuit is dead !! Lights and receptacles in the same room frequently
are on different circuits. Avoid surprises, always recheck for power at
the box you are working on.

hth

Peter

hth

Peter
Posted to alt.home.repair

newbee wrote:
There is a light fixture in my dining with 1 switch on the wall that I
want to convert to a ceiling fan (with light).

Do I need to redo the wiring?

If I have to hire a handyman, what would be approximate installation
cost?

Thanks for your response.

SR.

The cost of your handyman's work will depend on whether he does the work
safely. He is unlikely to be insured. If he burns down your home your
insurance may or may not cover the loss depending on what they believe
about your role in acquiring unlicensed electrical work without a
permit. The installation done by a licensed electrical contractor will
cost between fifty and one hundred and fifty dollars depending on market
conditions were you are and on whether the existing electrical outlet
box is suitable for fan support.

Quality can be illustrated in the purchase of oats. If you want nice
clean fresh outs you must pay a fair price. If you will be content with
oats that have already been through the horse you can pay slightly less.
--
Tom Horne

for general use." Thomas Alva Edison
Posted to alt.home.repair

This is an easy DIY job. The wall switch can be left under the remote
control unit that sits in a caddy. The remote works by wireless
communication with the fan itself, but keep the old wall switch under
there for a power on/off that you don't normally use (nor want to use).
The instructions on the fan will explain all this. There's a Home
Depot sale in fans right now, I think. Just make sure the unit you
purchase comes with a remote control, otherwise you'll want to invest
in this accessory separately. The remote won't switch the direct of
the fan, forward or reverse, so this will have to be done by a switch
on the fan unit itself.

newbee wrote:
There is a light fixture in my dining with 1 switch on the wall that I
want to convert to a ceiling fan (with light).

Do I need to redo the wiring?

If I have to hire a handyman, what would be approximate installation
cost?

Thanks for your response.

SR.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 11 Aug 2006 14:46:33 GMT, "Tom Horne, Electrician"
wrote:

newbee wrote:
[...]

Many electricians are now charging over $100 an hour. Expect to pay
about #300.

That's why we say we enjoy doing it ourselves.