Phil

Default Installing a ceiling fan in an existing light fixture

Hi,

I would like to install a ceiling fan. There is a small light where I
would like to put it. Can I use the same fixture or does it require
something more sturdy? How do I recognise this? I have access to the
attic if need be.

Thank you in advance.

Regards,
Phil
Jeff Wisnia

Phil wrote:

Hi,

I would like to install a ceiling fan. There is a small light where I
would like to put it. Can I use the same fixture or does it require
something more sturdy? How do I recognise this? I have access to the
attic if need be.

Get up there and take a look.

The instructions which come with new fans should tell you what proper
types of box support look like.

If the present box is just tacked onto a ceiling joist on one side, or
nailed onto a piece of strapping between the joists you'll probably have
to install better bracing for a safe installation. They sell
adjustustable steel brackets for that purpose.

Better to be safe than sorry, do it right the first time.

HTH,

Jeff

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

schools"
Joe Bobst

Can I use the same fixture or does it require something more sturdy?

Don't fool with it. Go to any good electrical ditrubutor and buy a Fasco 925
fan mounting box and the hardware to go with it. For the time it takes to
change out the box, you will save more time installing the fan. And think how
proud you'll be of having a first rate job! Good luck.

Joe