Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Proper BBQ Island Construction: Put LP tank under grill? How manyvents?

Hi Guys,
I am a couple weeks away from having a company build an outdoor
island, and install my new grill (its a turbo elite drop-in). The plan
is for a cantilevered island, with two vented access doors centered
under the grillhead with room for the LP tank and a spare. The back of
the island would then have two 6X4" vents (one top, one bottom). The
area under the grillhead would have a heatshield.

I just got the grill today, and I'm flipping thru the manual, and it
is very specific about having having only ONE LP tank isolated in a
seperate enclosure, cross-ventilated, with a vented access door. It
also states that the barbeque enclosure should have upper and lower
vents (20 sq in minimum each) on both sides of the island.

I realize its generally a good idea to keep the LP tank as far away
from the heat/ignition source as possible, but is this a requirement?
Where can I find the code that regulates this? (is there one?)

Thanks,
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 19, 7:21*pm, Eric wrote:
[...]

I can understand venting the LP tank enclosure, but I am still trying
to figure out why the manual wants the sides of the built in open (see
links for scans of what I am talking about). I am guessing they are
thinking that if you turned the burners on without actually being lit,
the propane (being heavier than air) would flow out the louvers in the
grill, down into the island, and then out the vents. To me this seems
like even more of a risk. What if the vents in the island were clogged
or something. Now you are filling the entire island with propane.
Wouldnt it be better to leave the walls around the grill solid? Worst
case is the propane fills up the grill-head (which is also vented).
This seems less dangerous than filling up the entire island...

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/e...man74/BBQ1.jpg

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/e...man74/BBQ2.jpg

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/e...man74/BBQ3.jpg
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 19, 10:08*pm, Eric wrote:
On Jul 19, 7:21*pm, Eric wrote:

[...]

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/e...an74/BBQ3.jpg- Hide quoted text -

Almost forgot: This is how the island would be setup:
http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/e...man74/Plan.jpg
Posted to alt.home.repair

Eric wrote:
[...]

I have a large barbecue grill with a storage space in the cabinet
underneath the burners. When I first got it, I put the extra filled
propane tank in there. I ran out of fuel during the party and reached
into the cabinet to get the extra tank. I burned my hand on the metal
shield around the nozzle. I decided that it was not safe to store a
propane cylinder under the burner, so no longer did.
Put it outside of the burner area, even if in the open air.

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Eric" wrote in message

I just got the grill today, and I'm flipping thru the manual, and it
is very specific about having having only ONE LP tank isolated in a
seperate enclosure, cross-ventilated, with a vented access door. It
also states that the barbeque enclosure should have upper and lower
vents (20 sq in minimum each) on both sides of the island.

I realize its generally a good idea to keep the LP tank as far away
from the heat/ignition source as possible, but is this a requirement?
Where can I find the code that regulates this? (is there one?)

Fire safety code regulations for LP storage are available
from the municipal government office that issues building
permits where you live. (Some fire brigades may also
provide this information free.) You may find out your
contractor needs a building permit for the work you want done.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Posted to alt.home.repair

Don Phillipson wrote:

You may find out your
contractor needs a building permit for the work you want done.

It's likely you _will_ need a building permit. Most towns where I work
require a permit for any permanent construction. Heck, they require
permits for anything but paint.

--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement
Posted to alt.home.repair

SteveB wrote:

Don Phillipson wrote:

You may find out your
contractor needs a building permit for the work you want done.

It's likely you _will_ need a building permit. Most towns where I work
require a permit for any permanent construction. Heck, they require
permits for anything but paint.

Your town doesn't (yet) have a Historical Preservation Review Board.
They issue the permits to paint, approve the color and finish.

Love those liberals.
Posted to alt.home.repair

on 7/20/2008 10:57 AM Boden said the following:
SteveB wrote:

Don Phillipson wrote:

You may find out your
contractor needs a building permit for the work you want done.

It's likely you _will_ need a building permit. Most towns where I work
require a permit for any permanent construction. Heck, they require
permits for anything but paint.

Your town doesn't (yet) have a Historical Preservation Review Board.
They issue the permits to paint, approve the color and finish.

Love those liberals.

I used to live in a town that had a Historical Preservation zone.
No AC units in the windows, no vinyl or aluminum siding, outside paint
could only be Colonial colors, etc. They went so far as to regulate
Christmas tree decorations visible to the outside. A single white or
clear electric candle in each window was all that was allowed.
A new resident of the zone protested the zoning ordinances by painting
his house and trim in shades of purple. I thought it looked kinda cool,
like something out of Disneyworld. I never found out what was the
resolution to the dispute, since I moved away.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
in the original Orange County
Posted to alt.home.repair

"willshak" wrote in message
A new resident of the zone protested the zoning ordinances by painting his
house and trim in shades of purple. I thought it looked kinda cool, like
something out of Disneyworld. I never found out what was the resolution to
the dispute, since I moved away.

IMO, the new resident is an idiot. He knew the regulations before buying so
painting the purple is just being arrogant and antagonistic.

If someone comes in and tried to regulate after the fact, I'd be one of the
first outside painting yellow and pink stripes.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 20, 4:52*am, "Don Phillipson" wrote:
"Eric" wrote in message

[...]

So it looks like Tucson, AZ abides by the 2003 International Fire
Code. I've looked thru it, and it doesnt say much about LP appliances/
storage. It refers to the International Fuel Gas Code (which is also
vague), and NFPA 58 which I cant find a copy of. I guess I will take
a trip down to the development services office and see if anyone can
help.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Eric" wrote in message

[...]

I made a sketch - its not the greatest, but here it goes. What do you
think about the design below? It is similar to what the manual wants,
but modified for my application. The grill-head can vent into the
left and right chambers. The right chamber has the LP Tank. Both
chambers have two rear vents. The LP tank access door is also
louvered. This leaves the seatwall, the area directly under/behind
the grillhead, and the left-most portion of the island (under the
round bar) sealed with no vents (and they shouldnt be needed, since
the propane wont enter those sealed areas and will vent out the other
provided paths).

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/e...and_design.jpg