Posted to alt.home.repair
Eric[_8_] Eric[_8_] is offline

Default Proper BBQ Island Construction: Put LP tank under grill? How manyvents?

On Jul 19, 10:08*pm, Eric wrote:
On Jul 19, 7:21*pm, Eric wrote:

Hi Guys,
I am a couple weeks away from having a company build an outdoor
island, and install my new grill (its a turbo elite drop-in). The plan
is for a cantilevered island, with two vented access doors centered
under the grillhead with room for the LP tank and a spare. The back of
the island would then have two 6X4" vents (one top, one bottom). The
area under the grillhead would have a heatshield.

I just got the grill today, and I'm flipping thru the manual, and it
is very specific about having having only ONE LP tank isolated in a
seperate enclosure, cross-ventilated, with a vented access door. It
also states that the barbeque enclosure should have upper and lower
vents (20 sq in minimum each) on both sides of the island.

I realize its generally a good idea to keep the LP tank as far away
from the heat/ignition source as possible, but is this a requirement?
Where can I find the code that regulates this? (is there one?)

Thanks,

I can understand venting the LP tank enclosure, but I am still trying
to figure out why the manual wants the sides of the built in open (see
links for scans of what I am talking about). *I am guessing they are
thinking that if you turned the burners on without actually being lit,
the propane (being heavier than air) would flow out the louvers in the
grill, down into the island, and then out the vents. *To me this seems
like even more of a risk. What if the vents in the island were clogged
or something. Now you are filling the entire island with propane.
Wouldnt it be better to leave the walls around the grill solid? *Worst
case is the propane fills up the grill-head (which is also vented).
This seems less dangerous than filling up the entire island...

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/e...man74/BBQ1.jpg

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/e...man74/BBQ2.jpg

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/e...an74/BBQ3.jpg- Hide quoted text -

Almost forgot: This is how the island would be setup:
http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/e...man74/Plan.jpg