Posted to alt.home.repair,free.uk.diy.home,misc.consumers.frugal-living,misc.consumers.house

Default angle grinder to cut and clean tiles

I have a broken tile in the tiled sill below the front window, on our
house. As it's on a curve, i need to cut a new tile to shape.

I was thinking of buying an inexpensive angle grinder to do this job. could
anyone please recommend an inexpensive one?

Also the tiles were painted black at one time, and we would like to remove
this paint and restore the tiles to their original red colour. Would I be
able to easily grind off this paint with the angle grinder and if so what
kind of disc should i buy for this job? Thanks for any advice.

Posted to alt.home.repair,free.uk.diy.home,misc.consumers.frugal-living,misc.consumers.house

john westmore_______ wrote:

I have a broken tile in the tiled sill below the front window, on our
house. As it's on a curve, i need to cut a new tile to shape.

I was thinking of buying an inexpensive angle grinder to do this job.
could anyone please recommend an inexpensive one?

Dremel

There are plenty of grinding wheels, too.

Also the tiles were painted black at one time, and we would like to
remove this paint and restore the tiles to their original red colour.
Would I be able to easily grind off this paint with the angle grinder
and if so what kind of disc should i buy for this job? Thanks for
any advice.

Don't grind the paint. You'll ruin the tiles.

Paint stripper will get the paint off the tiles, but you'll never get
the paint out of the grout. Buy the Dremel attachment for removing
grout, then put in new grout.

--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement
Posted to alt.home.repair

john westmore_______ wrote:
I have a broken tile in the tiled sill below the front window, on our
house. As it's on a curve, i need to cut a new tile to shape.

I was thinking of buying an inexpensive angle grinder to do this job. could
anyone please recommend an inexpensive one?

Also the tiles were painted black at one time, and we would like to remove
this paint and restore the tiles to their original red colour. Would I be
able to easily grind off this paint with the angle grinder and if so what
kind of disc should i buy for this job? Thanks for any advice.

The best way to do this is to get a Fein Multimaster with carbide tile
blades. I use mine all the time for difficult jobs.

http://www.fein.de/fein-multimaster/...ing_tiles.html
Posted to alt.home.repair,free.uk.diy.home,misc.consumers.frugal-living,misc.consumers.house

john westmore_______ wrote:

I have a broken tile in the tiled sill below the front window, on our house. As it's on a curve, i need to cut a new
tile to shape.

I was thinking of buying an inexpensive angle grinder to do this job.

That will do the job fine.

could anyone please recommend an inexpensive one?

Whatever you can find will do the job fine.

Also the tiles were painted black at one time, and we would like to
remove this paint and restore the tiles to their original red colour.
Would I be able to easily grind off this paint with the angle grinder

Nope, you'll damage the red surface doing it that way.

If the tiles are highly glazed, paint stripper should work, but you'll have to
regrout the tiles because the grout will have soaked up the black paint.

and if so what kind of disc should i buy for this job?

Even a wire brush will damage the red surface, but is what
you should use for that if you want to do it that way anyway.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I have a better brand (Makita) but if doing just one small job ("A" new
tile), I d recommend Harbor Freight tools cheapest one priced at about $
14.00 and a 4" diamond blade at about $ 5-7. I used that method 'freehand'
to cut several "diamond" and triangle and other shapes for my wifes tub
backsplash.

It worked out fine and you'll still have the grinder for the next lil job.

Are you in the UK ? If yes, google for some "Brit" cheap Chinese tool shop

I have a broken tile in the tiled sill below the front window, on our
house. As it's on a curve, i need to cut a new tile to shape.

I was thinking of buying an inexpensive angle grinder to do this job.
could anyone please recommend an inexpensive one?

Would I be able to easily grind off this paint with the angle grinder ..

Don't do it..use some chemical means/paint for the other reasons posted
here.

BTW, I deleted the 5 or so OTHER Newsgroups you posted to

Posted to alt.home.repair

If its one tile or a few home depot or lowes will cut them for you. If
its just a couple I would do that.

Use stripper not anything abrasive such as sand paper.

You really don't need a dremel depending on the size of the tile, you
can get a hand grout saw. You could use acid wash a few times on the
grout lines and tile after you use the stripper and that would weaken
the grout significantly. Just use a deck brush to work it in the grout
lines.

All those tools should be in the tile section of any home improvement
store; bar the stripper.

www.totalflooring.org
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

"john westmore_______" wrote in message
I have a broken tile in the tiled sill below the front window, on our
house. As it's on a curve, i need to cut a new tile to shape.

I was thinking of buying an inexpensive angle grinder to do this job.
could anyone please recommend an inexpensive one?

harbor freight. $15 iirc

Also the tiles were painted black at one time, and we would like to remove
this paint and restore the tiles to their original red colour. Would I be
able to easily grind off this paint with the angle grinder and if so what
kind of disc should i buy for this job? Thanks for any advice.

use paint stripper, but plan on replacing the grout, or using grout coloring
paint (see a good tile store for a better choice in colors).

Angle Grinder! The Medway Handyman UK diy 4 March 13th 08 04:43 PM
Right Angle Grinder Greg Esres Home Repair 7 March 11th 07 11:54 PM
WTB Angle Grinder Andy Mabbett UK diy 30 February 26th 06 01:36 PM
Angle Grinder use bhads UK diy 3 August 7th 05 03:27 PM
Angle Grinder... tony sayer UK diy 13 August 10th 04 02:54 AM