Posted to alt.home.repair,free.uk.diy.home,misc.consumers.frugal-living,misc.consumers.house
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default angle grinder to cut and clean tiles

john westmore_______ wrote:

I have a broken tile in the tiled sill below the front window, on our house. As it's on a curve, i need to cut a new
tile to shape.

I was thinking of buying an inexpensive angle grinder to do this job.

That will do the job fine.

could anyone please recommend an inexpensive one?

Whatever you can find will do the job fine.

Also the tiles were painted black at one time, and we would like to
remove this paint and restore the tiles to their original red colour.
Would I be able to easily grind off this paint with the angle grinder

Nope, you'll damage the red surface doing it that way.

If the tiles are highly glazed, paint stripper should work, but you'll have to
regrout the tiles because the grout will have soaked up the black paint.

and if so what kind of disc should i buy for this job?

Even a wire brush will damage the red surface, but is what
you should use for that if you want to do it that way anyway.