Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Maytag dryer timer never stops

I have a Maytag dryer, model LDE7304ACE (10-15 years old?) that works
fine except that the timer never stops. The dryer stops drying at the
right time, but the timer dial just keeps turning (and ticking). We've
been working around the problem by just unplugging it when we aren't
using it, and if it would cost a lot to fix (like buying a new timer),
I'd just as soon buy a new dryer since we've been thinking about
replacing our washer anyway. Any chance this is something easily and
cheaply fixed?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 18, 9:44*am, CS22 wrote:
I have a Maytag dryer, model LDE7304ACE (10-15 years old?) that works
fine except that the timer never stops. The dryer stops drying at the
right time, but the timer dial just keeps turning (and ticking). We've
been working around the problem by just unplugging it when we aren't
using it, and if it would cost a lot to fix (like buying a new timer),
I'd just as soon buy a new dryer since we've been thinking about
replacing our washer anyway. Any chance this is something easily and
cheaply fixed?

http://mikemerrittmotors.yuku.com/fo...-Small-and-Maj...

The appliguy is the GREATEST! He has walked me through two washing
machine repairs for fraction of the cost of hiring someone.

He will help you. Get the brand and model no. and he will have the
right answer for you.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Jul 18, 11:44*am, CS22 wrote:
I have a Maytag dryer, model LDE7304ACE (10-15 years old?) that works
fine except that the timer never stops. The dryer stops drying at the
right time, but the timer dial just keeps turning (and ticking). We've
been working around the problem by just unplugging it when we aren't
using it, and if it would cost a lot to fix (like buying a new timer),
I'd just as soon buy a new dryer since we've been thinking about
replacing our washer anyway. Any chance this is something easily and
cheaply fixed?

We have 20 year old Maytags that repairclinic.com has helped us keep
going after maybe 12-15 years of no repairs. After the sticker shock
($1500) of the yuppie inspired LG front loader that was displayed at
the Borg, we opted for a $200 new motor for the washer. Odds are your
repairs are a) cheap and b) quickly done. Give it a go.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

CS22 wrote:
I have a Maytag dryer, model LDE7304ACE (10-15 years old?) that works
fine except that the timer never stops. The dryer stops drying at the
right time, but the timer dial just keeps turning (and ticking). We've
been working around the problem by just unplugging it when we aren't
using it, and if it would cost a lot to fix (like buying a new timer),
I'd just as soon buy a new dryer since we've been thinking about
replacing our washer anyway. Any chance this is something easily and
cheaply fixed?

Looks like the timer motor is about $130.00. That's about 15% the cost of a
new dryer.

Still, when you pull it out to do the replacement, it may be obvious what
the problem is. It may even be as simple as a loose wire.

Posted to alt.home.repair

A timer that advances through off is completing the timer motor
circuit either within the timer or at another point within the
machine. You will need to look at the wiring diagram and see which
contacts within the timer open to cut power to the timer motor when
the dial reaches off. Then with the machine unplugged, remove the
wires from those contacts (if they come off) and do an ohm test to see
if the contacts inside the timer are really open. If they are, then
the timer motor is getting power through a back door and you'll need
to figure out how. Since the timer motor isn't 240v, it is a bit
unusual that it could have contacts that are stuck closed, but I guess
it is possible.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks everyone! The appliguy provided us with the service manual and
the wiring diagram. I'll try to get my husband to take a look at it
this weekend. Fortunately, it sounds like it will probably be an easy
fix.

Posted to alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote:
CS22 wrote:
I have a Maytag dryer, model LDE7304ACE (10-15 years old?) that
works
fine except that the timer never stops. The dryer stops drying at
the
right time, but the timer dial just keeps turning (and ticking).
We've been working around the problem by just unplugging it when we
aren't using it, and if it would cost a lot to fix (like buying a
new timer), I'd just as soon buy a new dryer since we've been
thinking about replacing our washer anyway. Any chance this is
something easily and cheaply fixed?

Looks like the timer motor is about $130.00. That's about 15% the
cost of a new dryer.

Still, when you pull it out to do the replacement, it may be obvious
what the problem is. It may even be as simple as a loose wire.

Can be cheaper than that. Friend of mine owns a coin laundry--he has
a big box of bits and pieces salvaged from washers that his customers
managed to destroy. Sold me the timer off a Maytag commercial washer
for 20 bucks. It's been working fine now for 15 years. Check around
the local coin laundries until you find one that uses Maytag, then ask
the owner where to get a timer cheap.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 18, 12:44*pm, CS22 wrote:
I have a Maytag dryer, model LDE7304ACE (10-15 years old?) that works
fine except that the timer never stops. The dryer stops drying at the
right time, but the timer dial just keeps turning (and ticking). We've
been working around the problem by just unplugging it when we aren't
using it, and if it would cost a lot to fix (like buying a new timer),
I'd just as soon buy a new dryer since we've been thinking about
replacing our washer anyway. Any chance this is something easily and
cheaply fixed?

I have a 7-years old Maytag that has a similar problem. But the
problem only happens if we turn the timer dail above average / normal
level. The other difference is that the dryer never stop if we turn
the dial above normal level. We live with this by keeping the dial
right at or below normal; doing this way also saves us energy cost.

We have this problem from day one. We thought this is a "feature" to
encourage us to save energy. And I don't want to fix this.

Jay Chan
Posted to alt.home.repair

Looks like the timer motor is about $130.00. That's about 15% the cost
of a new dryer.
Still, when you pull it out to do the replacement, it may be obvious
what the problem is. It may even be as simple as a loose wire.

You buy some expensive dryers..Using your math, your new dryer would
cost around 950.