Posted to alt.home.repair
J. Clarke J. Clarke is offline

Default Maytag dryer timer never stops

HeyBub wrote:
CS22 wrote:
I have a Maytag dryer, model LDE7304ACE (10-15 years old?) that
works
fine except that the timer never stops. The dryer stops drying at
the
right time, but the timer dial just keeps turning (and ticking).
We've been working around the problem by just unplugging it when we
aren't using it, and if it would cost a lot to fix (like buying a
new timer), I'd just as soon buy a new dryer since we've been
thinking about replacing our washer anyway. Any chance this is
something easily and cheaply fixed?

Looks like the timer motor is about $130.00. That's about 15% the
cost of a new dryer.

Still, when you pull it out to do the replacement, it may be obvious
what the problem is. It may even be as simple as a loose wire.

Can be cheaper than that. Friend of mine owns a coin laundry--he has
a big box of bits and pieces salvaged from washers that his customers
managed to destroy. Sold me the timer off a Maytag commercial washer
for 20 bucks. It's been working fine now for 15 years. Check around
the local coin laundries until you find one that uses Maytag, then ask
the owner where to get a timer cheap.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)