Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Firewood rack

I have a couple of mid-sized oak trees cut on my backyard. I want to
build a simple firewood rack. Does any one have any links preferrably
with pictures how build firewood rack?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 16, 12:41*pm, Sasha wrote:
I have a couple of mid-sized oak trees cut on my backyard. I want to
build a simple firewood rack. Does any one have any links preferrably
with pictures how build firewood rack?

Heres a great place with lots of plans for firewood racks.
http://tinyurl.com/5lqh67
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Sasha" wrote in message
I have a couple of mid-sized oak trees cut on my backyard. I want to
build a simple firewood rack. Does any one have any links preferrably
with pictures how build firewood rack?

I'm a welder, and I suggest you make it out of metal. A carpenter would
probably make it out of wood.

You may be able to find a local welder and have him do it. The job would
cost time and materials if I did it. I'd say $150 tops, and you would have
a heavy rack that would last a very long time. A smaller lighter one would
be less. Compare what you buy and what's for sale out there. There's a lot
of differences in metal thicknesses and finishes. You ought to be able to
buy a decent one now with all the Chinese stuff around that's powder coated
and reasonable.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Sasha" wrote in message
I have a couple of mid-sized oak trees cut on my backyard. I want to
build a simple firewood rack. Does any one have any links preferrably
with pictures how build firewood rack?

How simple? Lay two 2 x 4's on the ground about 12" apart. Stack the wood
on top of them and chimney stack (criss-cross) the ends. Can't get much
cheaper. I stack about 4 to 5 feet high that way.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote

How simple? Lay two 2 x 4's on the ground about 12" apart. Stack the
wood on top of them and chimney stack (criss-cross) the ends. Can't get
much cheaper. I stack about 4 to 5 feet high that way.

I'm even simpler but was starting a longer lasting base that will never rot
out. I did not want a permanent fixture such as a poured slab, but did want
long lasting yet removable. I'm in termite (ground dweller) country so the
2x4 wont last long here.

Cinderblocks (holes up/down for better drainage). About an 8 inch gap
between the lines. Didnt bother to criss-cross the wood, just let it taper
down at the ends.

I'm looking now to add a frame above which will be easy. A 'railroad tie'
fitted into to the cinderblock holes at the ends and a crossbar at the tops
plus ones matching along the sides between the 2. Might need some lower
down too along the longer section to stabilize it.