Posted to alt.home.repair
cshenk cshenk is offline

Default Firewood rack

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote

How simple? Lay two 2 x 4's on the ground about 12" apart. Stack the
wood on top of them and chimney stack (criss-cross) the ends. Can't get
much cheaper. I stack about 4 to 5 feet high that way.

I'm even simpler but was starting a longer lasting base that will never rot
out. I did not want a permanent fixture such as a poured slab, but did want
long lasting yet removable. I'm in termite (ground dweller) country so the
2x4 wont last long here.

Cinderblocks (holes up/down for better drainage). About an 8 inch gap
between the lines. Didnt bother to criss-cross the wood, just let it taper
down at the ends.

I'm looking now to add a frame above which will be easy. A 'railroad tie'
fitted into to the cinderblock holes at the ends and a crossbar at the tops
plus ones matching along the sides between the 2. Might need some lower
down too along the longer section to stabilize it.