Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Venting Microwave with Partial Wall Cabinets????

I am pretty much convinced that I want to vent my stove in our new
kitchen, but we're designing in an over-the-stove microwave and the
cabinet above the microwave does not go all the way to the ceiling. I
have been looking at how a clothes dryer vent works running up in the
wall and was thinking about venting the microwave into and up the wall
behind it and not blasting thru the cabinet above it. And even if I
did extend into the cabinet above it I can't go out of the top of the
cabinet as it doesn't go to the ceiling.

Any hints, experiences or suggestions?????
Posted to alt.home.repair

"infiniteMPG" wrote in message
I am pretty much convinced that I want to vent my stove in our new
kitchen, but we're designing in an over-the-stove microwave and the
cabinet above the microwave does not go all the way to the ceiling. I
have been looking at how a clothes dryer vent works running up in the
wall and was thinking about venting the microwave into and up the wall
behind it and not blasting thru the cabinet above it. And even if I
did extend into the cabinet above it I can't go out of the top of the
cabinet as it doesn't go to the ceiling.

Any hints, experiences or suggestions?????

Many if not all of the over the stove microwaves that I have installed have
the option to vent out the back. The duct size is usually 3" (Or 3.5") x
10". You would need to get the proper elbows and ducts, but this size would
fit in a wall. I use a local HVAC contractor to fabricate my duct fittings.
You could do the same or find a sheet metal fabricator who will make the
fittings that you need.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Many if not all of the over the stove microwaves that I have installed have the option to vent out the back. *The duct size is usually 3" (Or 3.5") x 10". *You would need to get the proper elbows and ducts, but this size would fit in a wall. *I use a local HVAC contractor to fabricate my duct fittings. You could do the same or find a sheet metal fabricator who will make the fittings that you need.

We have a sheet metal shop here at work I could get them to make me a
nice one or maybe someone makes something already. I doubt I am the
first to ask this....

Thanks!

Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

My cabinets don't go all the way to the ceiling. Plus my exhaust unit
required an 8" diameter pipe to attach to a roof mounted fan. I ran the 8"
round pipe up through the exhaust hood cabinet and through the ceiling. Then
I filled in the space between the cabinet and the ceiling with a 5 sided box
which fitted against tight the wall. When I installed the crown molding
around the ceiling I also went around the 5 sided box. It all looks like a
decorative column. When I did it, I followed the old rule: If you are forced
to have it, make it look like a feature.

"John Grabowski" wrote in message

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Jul 14, 11:48*am, infiniteMPG wrote:
I am pretty much convinced that I want to vent my stove in our new
kitchen, but we're designing in an over-the-stove microwave and the
cabinet above the microwave does not go all the way to the ceiling. *

Talk SWMBO out of the over-the stove microwave and simplify the whole
deal. The OTS is another of those cutesy fads that people soon tire of
because of the inconvenience of the location. A good big conventional
MW is a great kitchen appliance, and far better for real food prep
than the little toy over the stove. Besides, real chefs need real
range hoods, and the MW is not in that class. Of course, if your goal
is a trophy kitchen, practicality and true usefulness aren't in the
picture, so save that for the next remodel. Whatever, good luck.

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon 14 Jul 2008 09:48:25a, infiniteMPG told us...

I am pretty much convinced that I want to vent my stove in our new
kitchen, but we're designing in an over-the-stove microwave and the
cabinet above the microwave does not go all the way to the ceiling. I
have been looking at how a clothes dryer vent works running up in the
wall and was thinking about venting the microwave into and up the wall
behind it and not blasting thru the cabinet above it. And even if I
did extend into the cabinet above it I can't go out of the top of the
cabinet as it doesn't go to the ceiling.

Any hints, experiences or suggestions?????

In the Phoenix area, at least, it's common practice in kitchens that don't
have a soffit above the upper cabinets or where the upper cabinets do not
reach the ceiling, to run the duct up through the upper cabinet, and on up
through the ceiling. The duct exposed above the cabinet is nicely boxed in
either with matching cabinet wood, or drywalled and painted.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Monday, 07(VII)/14(XIV)/08(MMVIII)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue 15 Jul 2008 05:14:47a, told us...

On Mon, 14 Jul 2008 09:48:25 -0700 (PDT), infiniteMPG
wrote:

I am pretty much convinced that I want to vent my stove in our new
kitchen, but we're designing in an over-the-stove microwave and the
cabinet above the microwave does not go all the way to the ceiling. I
have been looking at how a clothes dryer vent works running up in the
wall and was thinking about venting the microwave into and up the wall
behind it and not blasting thru the cabinet above it. And even if I
did extend into the cabinet above it I can't go out of the top of the
cabinet as it doesn't go to the ceiling.

Any hints, experiences or suggestions?????

Are you asking a question, or just VENTING ?

He's *trying* to VENT! :-)

--
Wayne Boatwright
Tuesday, 07(VII)/15(XV)/08(MMVIII)

Posted to alt.home.repair

Hey Mike,

Pictures were a GREAT HELP and that's exactly what I am probably going
to end up doing. One question, the duct work that you used to connect
directly to the back of the microwave, did you purchase that or did
you have someone make it? Looks perfect and since it's a vent the
sealing against the microwave shouldn't have to be 100% (where's it
going to go but back into the kitchen?.... ooops, I'm venting :O)

Thanks!!!!
Scott

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 15, 12:50*pm, infiniteMPG wrote:
Hey Mike,

Pictures were a GREAT HELP and that's exactly what I am probably going
to end up doing. *One question, the duct work that you used to connect
directly to the back of the microwave, did you purchase that or did
you have someone make it? *Looks perfect and since it's a vent the
sealing against the microwave shouldn't have to be 100% (where's it
going to go but back into the kitchen?.... ooops, I'm venting *:O)

Thanks!!!!
Scott

All of the ducting was purchased at Lowes and Home Depot. If you have
trouble finding the 90 short elbow, look where the vent hoods are or
dryer hook ups, they sometimes have it as an accesory on the shelf.
otherwise it should be in the sheet metal aisle.
I had left some play in the duct so you can go up down or side to side
about 1" after I put up the plywood wall. The duct was actually
sticking out of the wall about 1/2". Once I knew exactly where the
microwave was going after using the template that comes with it, I cut
each corner of the duct and bended it back against the plywood, and
screwed it secure to the wall. Like I said remove the damper door but
keep the flange part attached so it fits inside the duct. Do not use
screws to attach the ductwork together, use the heavy duty foil tape.