Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

Default Venting Microwave with Partial Wall Cabinets????

My cabinets don't go all the way to the ceiling. Plus my exhaust unit
required an 8" diameter pipe to attach to a roof mounted fan. I ran the 8"
round pipe up through the exhaust hood cabinet and through the ceiling. Then
I filled in the space between the cabinet and the ceiling with a 5 sided box
which fitted against tight the wall. When I installed the crown molding
around the ceiling I also went around the 5 sided box. It all looks like a
decorative column. When I did it, I followed the old rule: If you are forced
to have it, make it look like a feature.

"John Grabowski" wrote in message

"infiniteMPG" wrote in message
I am pretty much convinced that I want to vent my stove in our new
kitchen, but we're designing in an over-the-stove microwave and the
cabinet above the microwave does not go all the way to the ceiling. I
have been looking at how a clothes dryer vent works running up in the
wall and was thinking about venting the microwave into and up the wall
behind it and not blasting thru the cabinet above it. And even if I
did extend into the cabinet above it I can't go out of the top of the
cabinet as it doesn't go to the ceiling.

Any hints, experiences or suggestions?????

Many if not all of the over the stove microwaves that I have installed
have the option to vent out the back. The duct size is usually 3" (Or
3.5") x 10". You would need to get the proper elbows and ducts, but this
size would fit in a wall. I use a local HVAC contractor to fabricate my
duct fittings. You could do the same or find a sheet metal fabricator who
will make the fittings that you need.