Posted to alt.home.repair

Default dishwasher clog

I am considering buying a used home (about 7 years old) and noticed
the GE dishwasher holding water. It seem to run fine after trying it
but I tried for about 15 minutes moving the knob slowly but I could
not even hear the water trying to drain. Ideally I should let it go
thru the entire cycle but I didn't want to wait in a vacant home to
find out. No water was leaking out of the dishwasher tho. I've since
returned about 3 days later to find the same amount of water in the
dishwasher but this time I didn't try to run it. Any advice how to
unclog it myself if after letting it run the entire cycle get the same
result? I don't have any literature and I hope running the entire
cycle doesn't make it leak out the door???
Posted to alt.home.repair

observer wrote in message
I am considering buying a used home (about 7 years old) and noticed
the GE dishwasher holding water. It seem to run fine after trying it
but I tried for about 15 minutes moving the knob slowly but I could
not even hear the water trying to drain. Ideally I should let it go
thru the entire cycle but I didn't want to wait in a vacant home to
find out. No water was leaking out of the dishwasher tho. I've since
returned about 3 days later to find the same amount of water in the
dishwasher but this time I didn't try to run it. Any advice how to
unclog it myself if after letting it run the entire cycle get the same
result? I don't have any literature and I hope running the entire
cycle doesn't make it leak out the door???

You probably missed hitting the spot to start the draining. Could be
something simple like a plugged line or the solenoid not opening.

Posted to alt.home.repair

observer wrote:

I am considering buying a used home (about 7 years old) and noticed
the GE dishwasher holding water. It seem to run fine after trying it
but I tried for about 15 minutes moving the knob slowly but I could
not even hear the water trying to drain. Ideally I should let it go
thru the entire cycle but I didn't want to wait in a vacant home to
find out. No water was leaking out of the dishwasher tho. I've since
returned about 3 days later to find the same amount of water in the
dishwasher but this time I didn't try to run it. Any advice how to
unclog it myself if after letting it run the entire cycle get the same
result? I don't have any literature and I hope running the entire
cycle doesn't make it leak out the door???

Under the skirt of the DW there is sometimes a valve and a lever you can
move back and forth to free up any clog. Its not easy to find, its just
where all the junk and debris settles. Look for the low spot inside the DW
and making the corresponding measurement to underneath and that's usually
where it is.

--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"
Posted to alt.home.repair

observer wrote:

I am considering buying a used home (about 7 years old) and noticed
the GE dishwasher holding water. It seem to run fine after trying it
but I tried for about 15 minutes moving the knob slowly but I could
not even hear the water trying to drain. Ideally I should let it go
thru the entire cycle but I didn't want to wait in a vacant home to
find out. No water was leaking out of the dishwasher tho. I've since
returned about 3 days later to find the same amount of water in the
dishwasher but this time I didn't try to run it. Any advice how to
unclog it myself if after letting it run the entire cycle get the same
result? I don't have any literature and I hope running the entire
cycle doesn't make it leak out the door???

We had leaks coming from our d.w., so called repair (we have a maint.
contract). Not easy
to believe, but accumulated detergent caused the water to bubble too
much and that interfered
with the d.w. draining. The cure was to pour in about a quart of white
vinegar and run it
through a cycle. We had some trouble with kitchen drain after grinding
up something in
the disposal - I can't remember just what happened, but plunging the
drain caused the d.w.
to leak............if the vinegar trick doesn't work, perhaps something
has backed up?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 29, 10:44�pm, evodawg wrote:
observer wrote:
[...]

pay a few hundred and get a home inspection, it will save you money,
they will likely find all sorts of troubles, that will lower home
price.

Main Drain Clog Phillip944 Home Repair 6 March 13th 06 07:30 PM
Draining a clog Boothbay Home Repair 4 September 3rd 05 03:59 PM
How to clog up your Unisaw David Woodworking 8 June 20th 05 11:30 AM
No clog trimmer bit bearing ??????????? miey Woodworking 1 February 3rd 05 03:50 AM
toilet always clog mark charon Home Repair 14 November 21st 03 11:48 PM