David

Default How to clog up your Unisaw

I molded a fair amount of wood today on my TS and each time I turned on
the TS, I also turned on the DC (the switches are inches apart, as had
long ago mounted a DC remote onto the side of the magnetic switch).

Then I walked away from the TS and glanced down at the floor. DOH! The
DC hose was hooked up to the router table...it's been that kinda day. I
hooked the hose up to the TS and ran the DC but it wouldn't budge the
chips. Removed the motor cover. Interesting...wood chips had actually
covered the grill on the end of the motor! I had quite a logjam on my
hands inside the cabinet. If a mistake can be made, I've either made
it, or WILL make it.

Dave

Andy Dingley

On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 14:50:51 -0700, David wrote:

I molded a fair amount of wood today on my TS and each time I turned on
the TS, I also turned on the DC

My cabinet saw (no extraction) can probably hold about 3 bagfuls of the
bags I use on the DC.

So where did you think all these chips were going? 8-)
If you'd managed to fill the saw up, didn't you think it would be time
for emptying the DC ?
David

Andy, I use a trash can separator, which holds quite a lot. I checked
it and wondered why it wasn't nearly full after the molding session. g

I seldom empty the DC bag because of having the separator. When I do
empty it, that's only because I remove it to knock the dust off the top
bag to improve suction. The lower bag doesn't get more than 6" of dust
in it by then.

Dave

Andy Dingley wrote:

On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 14:50:51 -0700, David wrote:

I molded a fair amount of wood today on my TS and each time I turned on
the TS, I also turned on the DC

My cabinet saw (no extraction) can probably hold about 3 bagfuls of the
bags I use on the DC.

So where did you think all these chips were going? 8-)
If you'd managed to fill the saw up, didn't you think it would be time
for emptying the DC ?

Slowhand

"David" wrote in message
I molded a fair amount of wood today on my TS and each time I turned on the
TS, I also turned on the DC (the switches are inches apart, as had long ago
mounted a DC remote onto the side of the magnetic switch).

Then I walked away from the TS and glanced down at the floor. DOH! The
DC hose was hooked up to the router table...it's been that kinda day. I
hooked the hose up to the TS and ran the DC but it wouldn't budge the
chips. Removed the motor cover. Interesting...wood chips had actually
covered the grill on the end of the motor! I had quite a logjam on my
hands inside the cabinet. If a mistake can be made, I've either made it,
or WILL make it.

Don't feel bad. I do it all the time. I hate it when I forget to hook up
the router table. Chips everywhere! At least the unisaw contains the dust.
I just vaccum out the inside when that happens. A real bad day? After
forgetting to hook up the router table, I moved it to the jointer. I
inadvertantly reversed the hose on the dust seperator can. Straight to the
dust collector it went. I figured it out when I looked at my dust collector
and thought, hmm, that bag is getting full fast. Duh.
SH

B Man

Don't feel bad. I've done worse with dust collection.

Since my walls are covered with lumber racks, external wiring in metel pipe,
shelves, or something, I used to run a long hose from my dust collector
directly to the tool. I had a remote to turn the dust collector on and off.
That is, until I accidentally sucked it down my unifense and into the dust
collector. because of the length of hose, I had a good 5 seconds to wait
for the sound of the remote being smashed by the impeller. Time enough to
thing "how stupid".

So after buying a replacement remote, a few weeks later I left it in my
jeans - which my helpful wife washed for me. We're on remote number three.
This one is on a lanyard that is attached to the shop apron. So far, so
good.

Brian

"David" wrote in message
I molded a fair amount of wood today on my TS and each time I turned on the
TS, I also turned on the DC (the switches are inches apart, as had long ago
mounted a DC remote onto the side of the magnetic switch).

Then I walked away from the TS and glanced down at the floor. DOH! The
DC hose was hooked up to the router table...it's been that kinda day. I
hooked the hose up to the TS and ran the DC but it wouldn't budge the
chips. Removed the motor cover. Interesting...wood chips had actually
covered the grill on the end of the motor! I had quite a logjam on my
hands inside the cabinet. If a mistake can be made, I've either made it,
or WILL make it.

Dave

Patriarch

"B Man" wrote in
:

Don't feel bad. I've done worse with dust collection.

Since my walls are covered with lumber racks, external wiring in metel
pipe, shelves, or something, I used to run a long hose from my dust
collector directly to the tool. I had a remote to turn the dust
collector on and off. That is, until I accidentally sucked it down my
unifense and into the dust collector. because of the length of hose,
I had a good 5 seconds to wait for the sound of the remote being
smashed by the impeller. Time enough to thing "how stupid".

So after buying a replacement remote, a few weeks later I left it in
my jeans - which my helpful wife washed for me. We're on remote
number three. This one is on a lanyard that is attached to the shop
apron. So far, so good.

Brian

Be especially careful at the lathe, Brian. ;-)

Patriarch

Unquestionably Confused

Patriarch wrote:
"B Man" wrote in
:

Since my walls are covered with lumber racks, external wiring in metel
pipe, shelves, or something, I used to run a long hose from my dust
collector directly to the tool. I had a remote to turn the dust
collector on and off. That is, until I accidentally sucked it down my
unifense and into the dust collector. because of the length of hose,
I had a good 5 seconds to wait for the sound of the remote being
smashed by the impeller. Time enough to thing "how stupid".

Be especially careful at the lathe, Brian. ;-)

For sure. Douibt the lathe would give you enough time to say "Oh, sh**!"

How about attaching it to a 12" length of dowel painted safety yellow?
Slip it into your hip pocket with the remote hanging free behind you.
Even a semi-comatose helpful wife will spot that before it hits the
Maytagg
David

2 of my four remotes have a permanent home: one is attached to the table
alignment pin at the BS, and the other is attached to the side of the
magnetic switch of the TS. One sits on the bench near the shop vac, and
the final one sits across the shop at the router table. I used to keep
them overhead but after whacking the hell out of them a few times,
decided that probably wasn't the safest place for them.

Dave

"David" wrote in message

I molded a fair amount of wood today on my TS and each time I turned on the
TS, I also turned on the DC (the switches are inches apart, as had long ago
mounted a DC remote onto the side of the magnetic switch).

Then I walked away from the TS and glanced down at the floor. DOH! The
DC hose was hooked up to the router table...it's been that kinda day. I
hooked the hose up to the TS and ran the DC but it wouldn't budge the
chips. Removed the motor cover. Interesting...wood chips had actually
covered the grill on the end of the motor! I had quite a logjam on my
hands inside the cabinet. If a mistake can be made, I've either made it,
or WILL make it.

Dave

Andy Dingley

On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 21:46:45 -0400, "B Man" wrote:

That is, until I accidentally sucked it down my unifense and into the dust
collector. because of the length of hose, I had a good 5 seconds to wait
for the sound of the remote being smashed by the impeller.

Get a cyclone. You can find all sorts of things sitting happily on the
dust pile in the bottom of the cyclone.

The black hole of Suckage was Delta 36-L31X-BC50 X5 3HP Left Tilt Unisaw with Biesemeyer NOTME Woodworking 3 January 7th 05 04:36 AM
My Unisaw Saga DonkeyHody Woodworking 22 March 6th 04 05:41 PM
I'm dreaming of a white Unisaw. Jay Pique Woodworking 20 January 13th 04 03:06 PM
Delta Unisaw vs Delta Unisaw X5 Joe Nation Woodworking 7 November 26th 03 03:23 AM