Boothbay

Default Draining a clog

I had a guy over who used the electric snake into my pipes. Along the
way, I would ash him some questions and a rarity, he answered them.
Some took me by suprise and was wondering by mentioning them here, if a
bonafide plumber can verify some of the things he said and done. First,
I asked him to look and snake my separate drain pipe for my washer. I
had attached one of those netted lint traps that went down the drain,
so to speak. I had it tied to the pipe, but apparently the gush of
water as the washer was draining just ate it up. He said he would have
to add water into that pipe as he snakes..cannot snake a dry pipe, he
said. Also, he told me to go upstairs in my kitchen and run the cold
water with a gallon of bleach. He also said never use the commercial
drain bottles..draino, liquid plumber and etc., because they have acid
and acid can rust up your pipes. It sounded logical, but then again
I'm not a plumber.

Joseph Meehan

Boothbay wrote:
[...]

Well, I would say that everything he said was true to one degree or
another.

Adding water when snaking is likely a good idea, but I would not say it
is 100% necessary.

I doubt of the water and bleach will do any good. I would say the same
for the drain cleaners. He should be able to take care of that drain.

I suggest that using commercial drain cleaners is not always a good
idea. If I were a plumber, I would not want to work on a job where someone
had been trying to fix it with that stuff. It is corrosive, but I would not
worry too much about it damaging the pipes. But I sure would not use it
just as a prevention as some people do.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Boothbay

Thanks, but I did say in my post that I was hopeing to get a response
from a bonfide plumber as for experience.

Jeff Wisnia

Boothbay wrote:

Thanks, but I did say in my post that I was hopeing to get a response
from a bonfide plumber as for experience.

So if that's who you want a response from you should be posting your
quenstions to pdaxs.services.plumbing, I'm sure that you'll hear plenty
from them.

Oh, and I suggest that you phrase the subject better, "Draining a clog"
doesn't make a hell of a lot of sense, even to a plumber.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Olaf

"Jeff Wisnia" wrote in message
Boothbay wrote:

Thanks, but I did say in my post that I was hopeing to get a response
from a bonfide plumber as for experience.

So if that's who you want a response from you should be posting your
quenstions to pdaxs.services.plumbing, I'm sure that you'll hear plenty
from them.

Oh, and I suggest that you phrase the subject better, "Draining a clog"
doesn't make a hell of a lot of sense, even to a plumber.

Jeff

No doubt. Or.. call another professional plumber and ask his experience.