Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Shiplap and suggestions

I am fixing to do some repairs on my mother's garage.

I have to replace some 4x4s under some shiplap.

I couldn't find any shiplap at Loews and will be checking elsewhere.

The shiplap has some kind of concrete-like tiles over it that is in
good shape.

They are about about 12 x 16 inches long each.

I will also have to replace some sections of shiplap. I did that to
another customer's house and found it to be very time consuming.

I am looking for suggestions on making it easier or some other
alternative.

Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Joe wrote:

so handle and use what you have with care. Best worked with when
soaking wet. Google for other precautions. HTH

That's no help whatsoever for asbestos-tile siding already in
place--there's no hazard there whatsoever. It would only be a problem
if were cutting it and it was designed to be sheared, not cut...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Raleigh_3_Speed" wrote in message
I am fixing to do some repairs on my mother's garage.

"Fixing to do"?

Either you're fixing your mother's garage or you're going to do repairs on
your mother's garage, or you're going to repair your mother's garage. There
is no verb, nor any other part of speech, called "fixing to do". From which
backwater of America do you hail? Yikes!

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "h"
wrote:

"Raleigh_3_Speed" wrote in message
I am fixing to do some repairs on my mother's garage.

"Fixing to do"?

Either you're fixing your mother's garage or you're going to do repairs on
your mother's garage, or you're going to repair your mother's garage. There
is no verb, nor any other part of speech, called "fixing to do". From which
backwater of America do you hail? Yikes!

Hey! No picking on colloquialisms allowed. "Fixing to" is a synonym for
"planning to" in this whole backwater country.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 30 Jun 2008 09:15:20 -0400, "h"
wrote:

-snip-
There
is no verb, nor any other part of speech, called "fixing to do". From which
backwater of America do you hail? Yikes!

Open your mind-
http://wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn?s=fix
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/fix

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

-snip-
There
is no verb, nor any other part of speech, called "fixing to do". From
which
backwater of America do you hail? Yikes!

Open your mind-
http://wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn?s=fix
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/fix

Jim

Yeah, right. Around here the local trash say add "take and" in front of
words instead of "fixing", as in "I'm gonna take and put that over there"
when they are already holding the item. No you're not. You're going to put
that over there, you've already taken it. My favorite is "take and do", as
in "I'm gonna take and do that report after lunch". Huh? It's not even close
to English.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 30, 10:14 am, Smitty Two wrote:
In article , "h"
wrote:

"Raleigh_3_Speed" wrote in message
I am fixing to do some repairs on my mother's garage.

"Fixing to do"?

Either you're fixing your mother's garage or you're going to do repairs on
your mother's garage, or you're going to repair your mother's garage. There
is no verb, nor any other part of speech, called "fixing to do". From which
backwater of America do you hail? Yikes!

Hey! No picking on colloquialisms allowed. "Fixing to" is a synonym for
"planning to" in this whole backwater country.

I reckin the gentleman is a gramer teacher. :-)

Take care,
Andy
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 29, 5:34 pm, Joe wrote:
On Jun 29, 8:19 am, Raleigh_3_Speed wrote:

I am fixing to do some repairs on my mother's garage.

I have to replace some 4x4s under some shiplap.

I couldn't find any shiplap at Loews and will be checking elsewhere.

The shiplap has some kind of concrete-like tiles over it that is in
good shape.

They are about about 12 x 16 inches long each.
snip

Years ago asbestos-cement siding was made in those sizes. If the
material is a slightly brittle 1/8" or so thick it could be an
asbestos product. You will loikely not find any replacement product,
so handle and use what you have with care. Best worked with when
soaking wet. Google for other precautions. HTH

Joe

The siding was pretty tricky getting off.

I used a circular saw and and cut down the center of a stud to remove
the shiplap and leave an area to nail in the new siding.

Even though the end of the garage is the only bad area, I may remove
all of the tiles and paint with a high quality paint.

The roof needs replacing and the installation of guttering.

Andy