John Rumm

Default ShipLap Cladding

Adi wrote:
Have built a shed with a strong frame and used shiplap cladding. The
Cladding is securely nailed to the frame and has been treated with Fencelife
type treatment. The cladding however appears to be shrinking and I am
worried that the joins will seperate.

Did i miss doing something or is this normal

No sounds normal. Thats also why it helps if you only nail through
bottom quater of each board, that should leave the top of each board
freedom to grow and shrink as required without warping too much or
slowly working the mails loose.

--
Cheers,

John.

Michael McNeil

chris French wrote in message .

No it's pretty normal I think, wood shrinks and expands quite a bit.
certainly mine does the same in the summer, esp when we have had so much
warm dry weather.

It shouldn't shrink so much as to cause gaps between the boards though.

It will if the wood was wet after such a hot and dry spell. Unlikely
though. By the time this shows up you should have had some wet
weather. It's been pouring down off and on for the last day or two
here.

You are supposed to paint the tongue (yes I know) dark so it doesn't
show when it happens. Nobody does though. They only give you about 5
mil cover don't they? That's adequate for a ship of course where the
conditions are reversed
Andy Dingley

On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 18:42:32 +0100, "Adi"
wrote:

Have built a shed with a strong frame and used shiplap cladding. The
Cladding is securely nailed to the frame

You shouldn't nail things securely on outdoor structures - wood moves
with moisture changes, and it will either warp, split or pull the
nails out. It _will_ move, you'll never "nail it down".

Shiplap boards (any lapped boards) should be nailed with one nail at
each end (maybe in the middle too), but these nails should all be in a
line along the grain. Don't put lines of nails across the grain.

Expect about 10% movement (enormously rough guess) and so allow at
least 15% overlap (assuming further shrinkage).
jerrybuilt

Andy Dingley wrote:
You shouldn't nail things securely on outdoor structures - wood
moves with moisture changes, and it will either warp, split or
pull the nails out. It _will_ move, you'll never "nail it down".

Shiplap boards (any lapped boards) should be nailed with one
nail at each end (maybe in the middle too), but these nails
should all be in a line along the grain. Don't put lines of
nails across the grain.

Nail into each noggin about 1" up from the bottom of each
board, as AD says, however one nail at each end and one
in the middle is not enough in most cases. You must not
mail through the bottom of one board and the top of another
(or each edge, in featherboarding, for instance).

Expect about 10% movement (enormously rough guess)

Yes, enormously.

and so allow at least 15% overlap (assuming further shrinkage).

I don't think you can do that on most shiplap boards, they
can't be overlapped that much. The rebate usn't that deep!

Sent via the PAXemail system at paxemail.com