Posted to alt.home.repair
Raleigh_3_Speed Raleigh_3_Speed is offline

Default Shiplap and suggestions

On Jun 29, 5:34 pm, Joe wrote:
On Jun 29, 8:19 am, Raleigh_3_Speed wrote:

I am fixing to do some repairs on my mother's garage.

I have to replace some 4x4s under some shiplap.

I couldn't find any shiplap at Loews and will be checking elsewhere.

The shiplap has some kind of concrete-like tiles over it that is in
good shape.

They are about about 12 x 16 inches long each.
snip

Years ago asbestos-cement siding was made in those sizes. If the
material is a slightly brittle 1/8" or so thick it could be an
asbestos product. You will loikely not find any replacement product,
so handle and use what you have with care. Best worked with when
soaking wet. Google for other precautions. HTH

Joe

The siding was pretty tricky getting off.

I used a circular saw and and cut down the center of a stud to remove
the shiplap and leave an area to nail in the new siding.

Even though the end of the garage is the only bad area, I may remove
all of the tiles and paint with a high quality paint.

The roof needs replacing and the installation of guttering.

Andy