Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Numbering electrical outlets

Andy asks:

On another thread, a poster mentioned numbering the electrical
outlets
to match the circuit breakers in the panel. While that sounds like a
good idea to me, I can't figure out how to do this and have the
outlets
still look acceptable.
Has anyone here done this in a manner that their wives think looks
good ?

Andy in Eureka, Texas
Posted to alt.home.repair

Andy wrote:
Andy asks:

On another thread, a poster mentioned numbering the electrical
outlets
to match the circuit breakers in the panel. While that sounds like a
good idea to me, I can't figure out how to do this and have the
outlets
still look acceptable.
Has anyone here done this in a manner that their wives think looks
good ?

Andy in Eureka, Texas

Get some graph paper, and make a floorplan of your house- doesn't have
to be exactly to scale, just close enough to tell what the rooms are .
Mark all your outlets and light fixtures on the diagram. Next to each
outlet and fixture, put the number of the breaker that controls it. Note
that few houses are 1 room per breaker, and power strings often jump
around the house. Attach the diagram to the wall next to the service panel.

I need to do that for this place, but living alone, it would be a major
pain, even with a signal tracer. Lots of trips up and down the stairs.
With 2 people and a pair of walkie-talkies, no big deal.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

Andy wrote:

Andy asks:

On another thread, a poster mentioned numbering the electrical
outlets
to match the circuit breakers in the panel. While that sounds like a
good idea to me, I can't figure out how to do this and have the
outlets
still look acceptable.
Has anyone here done this in a manner that their wives think looks
good ?

Andy in Eureka, Texas

You could make a diagram to put on the wall by the panel; that's what we
have. If you wife is
fussy, she can duplicate it in cross stitch and frame it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 29 Jun 2008 03:02:36 -0700 (PDT), Andy
wrote:

Andy asks:

On another thread, a poster mentioned numbering the electrical
outlets
to match the circuit breakers in the panel. While that sounds like a
good idea to me, I can't figure out how to do this and have the
outlets
still look acceptable.
Has anyone here done this in a manner that their wives think looks
good ?

Andy in Eureka, Texas

You can write on the other side of the cover plate. Be careful not to
over tighten those screws if you have plastic plates.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Andy asks:

On another thread, a poster mentioned numbering the electrical
outlets
to match the circuit breakers in the panel. While that sounds like a
good idea to me, I can't figure out how to do this and have the
outlets
still look acceptable.
Has anyone here done this in a manner that their wives think looks
good ?

Andy in Eureka, Texas

I just make a rough sketch of each room showing all the outlets and
fixtures, and label them with the breaker number. I hang the sketch
by the breaker box.

You can number each box by writing on the inside of the cover plate,
but then you have to remove the plate to look at the number. Better
than guess and check, though.

A secondary advantage of the sketch is that it can give you hints
about how the wiring runs were made, by seeing what things are on the
same circuit and thinking about how one would run wire between them.

HTH,

Paul F.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 29 Jun 2008 03:02:36 -0700, Andy wrote:

Andy asks:

On another thread, a poster mentioned numbering the electrical
outlets
to match the circuit breakers in the panel. While that sounds like a
good idea to me, I can't figure out how to do this and have the outlets
still look acceptable.
Has anyone here done this in a manner that their wives think looks
good ?

Andy in Eureka, Texas

How many circuit breakers to you have?

Assign a letter of the alphabet to each breaker and then write or scratch
a smaller letter on the bottom edge of each receptacle cover at a spot
that is least noticeable? Scratching or engraving would be least
intrusive, I would think.

Franz Fripplfrappl
Posted to alt.home.repair

"aemeijers" wrote
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Phisherman" wrote

You can write on the other side of the cover plate. Be careful not to
over tighten those screws if you have plastic plates.

;-) Great minds think alike. Just posted the same thing.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I did a quick paper layout of my place, on typing paper. Went through the
house, checking sockets. Put the paper next to the panel box.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus