Posted to alt.home.repair
Paul Franklin Paul Franklin is offline

Default Numbering electrical outlets

On Sun, 29 Jun 2008 03:02:36 -0700 (PDT), Andy
wrote:

Andy asks:

On another thread, a poster mentioned numbering the electrical
outlets
to match the circuit breakers in the panel. While that sounds like a
good idea to me, I can't figure out how to do this and have the
outlets
still look acceptable.
Has anyone here done this in a manner that their wives think looks
good ?

Andy in Eureka, Texas

I just make a rough sketch of each room showing all the outlets and
fixtures, and label them with the breaker number. I hang the sketch
by the breaker box.

You can number each box by writing on the inside of the cover plate,
but then you have to remove the plate to look at the number. Better
than guess and check, though.

A secondary advantage of the sketch is that it can give you hints
about how the wiring runs were made, by seeing what things are on the
same circuit and thinking about how one would run wire between them.

HTH,

Paul F.