Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

Default how to rid sewer of mosquitoes?

I have a city sewer in front of my house that has standing water and
has become a breeding ground for mosquitoes. Is there anything I can
add to the water to negate it as a breeding ground?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 24 Jun 2008 17:05:30 -0700, Joe wrote:

I have a city sewer in front of my house that has standing water and has
become a breeding ground for mosquitoes. Is there anything I can add to
the water to negate it as a breeding ground?

Be careful. Street sewers usually dump to lakes and streams. What you
put in them may pollute.

Call your city and ask. If it's standing water, the health department
should take interest due to recent outbreaks of West Nile Virus and other
mosquito-borne illnesses.

Franz Fripplfrappl
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 24 Jun 2008 17:05:30 -0700, Joe wrote:

I have a city sewer in front of my house that has standing water and has
become a breeding ground for mosquitoes. Is there anything I can add to
the water to negate it as a breeding ground?

usually you can get something free from your city/county to put in there
if they are a known problem for your locality.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Joe wrote:

I have a city sewer in front of my house that has standing water and
has become a breeding ground for mosquitoes. Is there anything I can
add to the water to negate it as a breeding ground?

Little bit of dishwashing detergent.
Posted to alt.home.repair

franz fripplfrappl wrote:
On Tue, 24 Jun 2008 17:05:30 -0700, Joe wrote:

I have a city sewer in front of my house that has standing water and has
become a breeding ground for mosquitoes. Is there anything I can add to
the water to negate it as a breeding ground?

Be careful. Street sewers usually dump to lakes and streams. What you
put in them may pollute.

Call your city and ask. If it's standing water, the health department
should take interest due to recent outbreaks of West Nile Virus and other
mosquito-borne illnesses.

I take it you are on city water? If you were on a well, it would be
easy- whenever you notice mosquitos, just dump enough water in the catch
basin there to flush the eggs down the outflow pipe. There shouldn't
always be standing water, by the way. Most catch boxes I have seen are
only a couple cubic feet below the outflow pipe, and aren't really
water-tight. They are just for surges, and to give sand and stuff a
place to settle out where it can be easily removed, instead of in low
spots in the sewer run itself. I'd call city street and health
departments and request it be checked out- the thing may just need cleaning.

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Joe wrote:
I have a city sewer in front of my house that has standing water and
has become a breeding ground for mosquitoes. Is there anything I can
add to the water to negate it as a breeding ground?

Hi,
If it is standing water, pour little bit of olive oil to cover the surface.
Posted to alt.home.repair

some diesel fuel on top will help.

"Joe" wrote in message
I have a city sewer in front of my house that has standing water and
has become a breeding ground for mosquitoes. Is there anything I can
add to the water to negate it as a breeding ground?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 24, 8:05*pm, Joe wrote:
I have a city sewer in front of my house that has standing water and
has become a breeding ground for mosquitoes. Is there anything I can
add to the water to negate it as a breeding ground?

Same problem here, my city sanitarian gave me a card of BT donuts and
I hang a few on some string so they stay in the basin and don't wash
away.

BT is a bacteria and there is a strain for caterpillars and a strain
for mosquito larvae, kills em .
Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony Hwang wrote:
Joe wrote:
I have a city sewer in front of my house that has standing water and
has become a breeding ground for mosquitoes. Is there anything I can
add to the water to negate it as a breeding ground?

Hi,
If it is standing water, pour little bit of olive oil to cover the surface.

Have you priced olive oil lately?

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 24, 10:28*pm, Tony Hwang wrote:

Hi,
If it is standing water, pour little bit of olive oil to cover the surface.

You can also use vegetable oil or mineral oil, both are safe and
will smother larvae.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Joe wrote:
I have a city sewer in front of my house that has standing water and
has become a breeding ground for mosquitoes. Is there anything I can
add to the water to negate it as a breeding ground?

DDT.

You can get it if you try hard enough.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/26/2008 5:54 AM HeyBub spake thus:

Joe wrote:

I have a city sewer in front of my house that has standing water and
has become a breeding ground for mosquitoes. Is there anything I can
add to the water to negate it as a breeding ground?

DDT.

You can get it if you try hard enough.

Not recommended. There's a good reason it's hard to get.

It drags itself out of the dark abyss of pish, and crawls insanely up
the topmost pinnacle of posh. It is rumble and bumble. It is flap and
doodle. It is balder and dash."

- With apologies to H. L. Mencken
Posted to alt.home.repair

Joe wrote:

I have a city sewer in front of my house that has standing water and
has become a breeding ground for mosquitoes. Is there anything I can
add to the water to negate it as a breeding ground?

DDT.

You can get it if you try hard enough.

Not recommended. There's a good reason it's hard to get.

As it turns out, that "good reason" is responsible for the death of hundreds
of thousands - maybe millions - due to Malaria.

Like breast implants, the world's opinion has changed. WHO now recommends
indoor DDT spraying to control mosquitos.

The "environmentalists" may be directly responsible for more deaths and
misery than polluters.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/28/2008 7:00 AM HeyBub spake thus:

Joe wrote:

I have a city sewer in front of my house that has standing water and
has become a breeding ground for mosquitoes. Is there anything I can
add to the water to negate it as a breeding ground?

DDT.

You can get it if you try hard enough.

Not recommended. There's a good reason it's hard to get.

As it turns out, that "good reason" is responsible for the death of hundreds
of thousands - maybe millions - due to Malaria.

Like breast implants, the world's opinion has changed. WHO now recommends
indoor DDT spraying to control mosquitos.

They don't recommend it; they allow it, recognizing its extreme
environmental dangers. The EU has basically prohibited the use of DDT
outright.

The "environmentalists" may be directly responsible for more deaths and
misery than polluters.

Yeah, yeah; heard it all before. Turns out there are other ways to
control the spread of malaria than using environmentally-destructive
chemicals (pyrethrins, etc.).

By the way, so long as we're on the topic: I've been reading about
malaria recently. The life cycle of this disease and the organisms
involved (Plasmodium and the Anopheles mosquito) are fascinating and
mind-boggling, especially the way the protozoan responsible for the
disease (Plasmodium), a one-celled critter, morphs into six or seven
completely different forms (some sexual, some asexual) and has the
"smarts" to evade the immune systems of two different, much more complex
organisms. Amazing stuff.

It drags itself out of the dark abyss of pish, and crawls insanely up
the topmost pinnacle of posh. It is rumble and bumble. It is flap and
doodle. It is balder and dash."

- With apologies to H. L. Mencken

Sewer advice? [email protected] Home Repair 14 November 4th 06 06:41 PM
PVC Sewer vs DWV kstar Home Repair 10 September 24th 06 07:12 PM
sewer odor [email protected] Home Repair 2 January 27th 05 08:25 PM
Sewer [email protected] UK diy 2 September 10th 04 01:30 PM
Repelling Mosquitoes Dennis [email protected] Home Ownership 6 July 23rd 03 06:33 AM