Default Sewer

My sewer pipe connects to the main sewer in the next road to mine via
a neighbours garden. It looks like originally all the sewers in my
street of 100 year old houses connected to mine before finally going
through my neighbours garden. As far as I know the other sewers are no
longer connected to mine and my neighbour has a separate sewer, so it
is debatable whether this can be classed as 'pre 1937' shared sewer.

Apparently this has caused some issues in the past when the sewer
became blocked and I would rather not have this passing over my
neighbours property if it is not the council's responsibility.

At some point I am considering repaving the side entrance to my house
as the path has subsided a bit. It occured to me that this might be
the ideal opportunity to lay a new sewer and get it connected via my
own property.

My side path is about 25metres long and there are 4 steps and a coal
shoot to contend with, so replacement won't be a small job. Can the
group advise:-

Will I have to pay the council to dig up the road to do this new
connection. If I can prove that the original connection was their
responsibility, then this might be in their interest, but I can imagine
I will have a bit of a battle on my hands.

What are the likely costs?
Any other things I should consider?

Thanks
Tim

Rick Dipper

On 7 Sep 2004 16:21:18 -0700, wrote:

[...]

If you can get a digger in its cheep, I would guess one day would sort
it, but say 2 for the buinding regs type faffing.

The cost comes from the connection into the main, I guess you need to
give them a call.

Rick