Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Default Repelling Mosquitoes

The Mosquito Magnet

The Lentek Mosquito Trap

Hammacher-Schlemmer's Sonic Insect Trap

Mosquito Deleto

All claim to repell and/or trap mosquitoes.
There are probably others I don't know
about. I'd be interested in hearing first
hand accounts of your experience with
any of these or others.

Dennis Vogel

dicko

On Tue, 1 Jul 2003 17:22:44 -0400, "Dennis "
wrote:

The Mosquito Magnet

The Lentek Mosquito Trap

Hammacher-Schlemmer's Sonic Insect Trap

Mosquito Deleto

All claim to repell and/or trap mosquitoes.
There are probably others I don't know
about. I'd be interested in hearing first
hand accounts of your experience with
any of these or others.

Dennis Vogel

I own a Mosquito Magnet, I believe it is their residential model. I
dont see it listed on their website anymore so I guess they've
discontinued it. I've owned it for 3 years. Its been running now for
over 2 months this year and has caught maybe 50 mosquitos. I think
they're the ones dumb enough to just blunder into it and get sucked
up.

Honestly, it just doesnt attract mosquitos from 5 ft away much less
for a whole acre. Now, other people claim significant success with
these kinds of traps but mine just plain old doesnt work... I can go
out and check the net and just see the mosquitos within 5 ft of it
launch themselves off the foliage and head straight for me. If they
did that for the mosquito magnet, they'd all be history.

Its not a problem of the suction being too low to suck them up. It
just plain doesnt attract them..

So why do other people claim it works? Is it the species of mosquito?
Something in the propane I use? Floodwater mosquitos, aedes vexans,
are the predominant species here.

Now I have to admit. last year I did catch maybe a layer of mosquitos
in the net that was a quarter inch tall. But I think that the overall
mosquito population was so much higher that year that, again, they all
kind of just flew into it. even a trap that's 1% effective will catch
1000 mosquitos if there are a million of them flying around.

Just my experience with it. I'm not going to put it out next year. It
costs roughly $20 a month to operate (propane refill and attractant
replacement). Other people will say it works wonders. Why it works for
them and not me, I don't know.

dickm

wrote:

[...]

So, no one else has any experience with any of these units?
Really? I'm surprised there hasn't been more response.

Dennis Vogel

Ken Sternberg

I do know that the so-called sonic repellent devices are totall
worthless and bogus. There was a detailed study about a year or so ago
in a veterinary medical journal that found them completely useless
against mosquitos and other insects. There's no difference between the
animal and human models.

DEET-based repellents that you apply are the gold standard.