Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Where can we migrate too?

Either all of Verizon is going to Google or we have to pick a Big 8.

I vote changing to a Big 8, although the guys that grant permission to
start a new group are pricks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

metspitzer wrote:
Either all of Verizon is going to Google or we have to pick a Big 8.

I vote changing to a Big 8, although the guys that grant permission to
start a new group are pricks.

Look for many of the other remaining 'net providers to follow suit, now
that the NY(?) AG and company has bullied some providers into 'taking
steps' to eliminate the online child porn groups. Rather that trying to
sort the degrees of filth, the cheap and easy answer is to dump the
entire alt.* hierarchy.

The decay curve is getting steep. Other than mirrors like Google (who
many newbies think own and run newsgroups anyway), I'll be surprised if
Usenet as we know exists 10 years from now. Most of the functions it
originally served (corp and edu in-house comms, technical lookups and
forums) has already migrated to gooey, GUI web sites.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

Either all of Verizon is going to Google or we have to pick a Big 8.

I vote changing to a Big 8, although the guys that grant permission to
start a new group are pricks.

There needs to be a new NNTP protocol developed with will allow for
better managment of the postings and groups.

--
Fight Usenet Spam!!! - http://improve-usenet.org:80/

Want a great newsgroup reader that will filter out the flood of
newgroup spam?
Try MesNews - http://www.mesnews.net/gb/

If you want your posts to be seen, DON'T USE GOOGLE GROUPS!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2008-06-18, metspitzer wrote:
Either all of Verizon is going to Google or we have to pick a Big 8.

I vote changing to a Big 8, although the guys that grant permission to
start a new group are pricks.

misc.consumers.house is probably the closest Big 8 group.

--
Jonathan Grobe Books
Browse our inventory of thousands of used books at:

Posted to alt.home.repair

metspitzer wrote:
Either all of Verizon is going to Google or we have to pick a Big 8.

I vote changing to a Big 8, although the guys that grant permission to
start a new group are pricks.

Change ISPs. Your connectivity provider does not have to be your ISP.

I'm connected to the internet via Comcast, but my ISP is Earthlink.

Verizon is not PREVENTING access to the alt. hierarchy, they are simply not
PROVIDING it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote:
metspitzer wrote:
Either all of Verizon is going to Google or we have to pick a Big 8.

I vote changing to a Big 8, although the guys that grant permission
to start a new group are pricks.

Change ISPs. Your connectivity provider does not have to be your ISP.

Huh? Do you mean, "Your connectivity provider does not have to be your
*NSP* (news service provider)"?
__________

I'm connected to the internet via Comcast, but my ISP is Earthlink.

Your news server is Giganews.
_____________

Verizon is not PREVENTING access to the alt. hierarchy, they are
simply not PROVIDING it.

To OP...

Many free text only news reading services, few read *AND* post ones. Check
via Google.

Some inexpensive NSPs both read and post. Binaries too in some cases...

http://individual.net/
http://usenet-news.net/
http://www.teranews.com/

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair

dadiOH wrote:
HeyBub wrote:
metspitzer wrote:
Either all of Verizon is going to Google or we have to pick a Big 8.

I vote changing to a Big 8, although the guys that grant permission
to start a new group are pricks.

Change ISPs. Your connectivity provider does not have to be your ISP.

Huh? Do you mean, "Your connectivity provider does not have to be
your *NSP* (news service provider)"?

Well, that too. I often put Tabasco in soup.

I'm connected to the internet via Comcast, but my ISP is Earthlink.

Your news server is Giganews.

Actually, no. My NNTP server is news.west.earthlink.net. Earthlink farms it
out to giganews.

_____________

Verizon is not PREVENTING access to the alt. hierarchy, they are
simply not PROVIDING it.

To OP...

Many free text only news reading services, few read *AND* post ones. Check
via Google.

Some inexpensive NSPs both read and post. Binaries too in some
cases...
http://individual.net/
http://usenet-news.net/
http://www.teranews.com/

Good suggestions, but that's fighting the symptom rather than the disease
(Verizon).

Better would be to drop Verizon as an ISP and sign up with an ISP that
doesn't caval and toady up to crazy people.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 10:20:03 -0500, "HeyBub"
wrote:

dadiOH wrote:
HeyBub wrote:
metspitzer wrote:
[...]

I agree. Change to cable. Charter offers unlimited (but throttled)
binary access with their Usenet feed. It works out to be about 80G
per month included.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"aemeijers" wrote in message
snip
The decay curve is getting steep. Other than mirrors like Google (who many
newbies think own and run newsgroups anyway), I'll be surprised if Usenet
as we know exists 10 years from now. Most of the functions it originally
served (corp and edu in-house comms, technical lookups and forums) has
already migrated to gooey, GUI web sites.

God forbid. For many topics, finding it all in one or two USENET groups is
much nicer than looking at 100 web forums.

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

I use Comcast at home and at work, so I'll still have access to the alt.*
newsgroups. We also have a Verizon Internet connection at work but I am
going to cancel that as soon as Verizon stops the alt.* access, and I'll let
them know that is why I am cancelling (I know they don't care, especially
since they have FIOS now in many areas).

I understand that TeraNews ( http://teranews.com ) has a free newsgroup
service (with just a one-time $3.95 setup fee) that allows 50 MB of download
per day. I don't know what 50 MB per day translates into as far a newsgroup
usage, but it's an option.

"metspitzer" wrote in message
Either all of Verizon is going to Google or we have to pick a Big 8.

I vote changing to a Big 8, although the guys that grant permission to
start a new group are pricks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

alta47 wrote:

I use Comcast at home and at work, so I'll still have access to the alt.*
newsgroups. We also have a Verizon Internet connection at work but I am
going to cancel that as soon as Verizon stops the alt.* access, and I'll
let them know that is why I am cancelling (I know they don't care,
especially since they have FIOS now in many areas).

I understand that TeraNews ( http://teranews.com ) has a free newsgroup
service (with just a one-time $3.95 setup fee) that allows 50 MB of
download
per day. I don't know what 50 MB per day translates into as far a
newsgroup usage, but it's an option.

"metspitzer" wrote in message
Either all of Verizon is going to Google or we have to pick a Big 8.

I vote changing to a Big 8, although the guys that grant permission to
start a new group are pricks.

I have been using news.motzarella.org for a couple of days and it's free.
You have to register and I don't believe alt.binaries are offered. But it
seems all newsgroup servers will be dropping them. You will need to setup
your newsreader of course, but it took me a whole 10 minutes to complete
that including searching for the newsgroups I wanted to add.

Good Luck

--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"
Posted to alt.home.repair

We're mirroring the alt.home.repair and a few other newsgroups at topservicepros.com into a forum style layout. Give it a try at http://www.topservicepros.com/forum

No advertising or other junk to put up with. We even try to delete and clean out the SPAM but it is a tough battle
--
Richard Thoms
President - Top Service Pros, Inc.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 20 Jun 2008 23:24:49 -0500, topservicepros
richard[at]topservicepros[dot]com wrote:

We're mirroring the alt.home.repair and a few other newsgroups at topservicepros.com into a forum style layout. Give it a try at http://www.topservicepros.com/forum

No advertising or other junk to put up with. We even try to delete and clean out the SPAM but it is a tough battle

Thanks for the offer, but I for one do not like the web based option.
Every single web base forum requires you to pick a username/password.

Logging into a web site every time I want to post a message is a very
big pain to me.

Also, having more and more people knowing my general password doesn't
set well either.

Posted to alt.home.repair

metspitzer wrote:
On Fri, 20 Jun 2008 23:24:49 -0500, topservicepros
richard[at]topservicepros[dot]com wrote:

We're mirroring the alt.home.repair and a few other newsgroups at topservicepros.com into a forum style layout. Give it a try at http://www.topservicepros.com/forum

No advertising or other junk to put up with. We even try to delete and clean out the SPAM but it is a tough battle

Thanks for the offer, but I for one do not like the web based option.
Every single web base forum requires you to pick a username/password.

Logging into a web site every time I want to post a message is a very
big pain to me.

Also, having more and more people knowing my general password doesn't
set well either.

Chuckle. No disrespect to the people who mirror usenet groups to their
web site forums, but the entire SITE is an advertisement, even if they
don't sell popup ads to others. I Googled myself the other day (vain, I
know, but I was curious), and to my surprise, got over 8000 hits,
excluding Google Groups. So, 8000 times, I provided content for
somebody, for free. Hmm, what is wrong with this picture?

--
aem sends...