Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Maximum Distance of Toilet from Vertical Stack?

Hello Group,

I'm working for a friend on a gut job rehab, and his architect seems
inclined to provide plans with no mechanical details and no place to
put waste stacks.

In the interest of planning the job, I'm wondering, Can a Toilet, (as
part of a bath, including shower and lavatory, or half bath including
only lavatory), be attached to a Horizontal branch of a waste stack?
I've only ever seen them attached to the vertical sections of the
stack. If so, what restrictions are there on the length of the
Horizontal branch.

I've been reading the 2006 National Plumbing Code, and I can't seem to
find the answer in there.

Incidently, I found the National code on the web at this location:
http://phcc.files.cms-plus.com/Depts...stratedWeb.pdf

Thanks for any information you can provide:

Best, John
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2008-06-17, Johnny V wrote:

In the interest of planning the job, I'm wondering, Can a Toilet, (as
part of a bath, including shower and lavatory, or half bath including
only lavatory), be attached to a Horizontal branch of a waste stack?
I've only ever seen them attached to the vertical sections of the
stack. If so, what restrictions are there on the length of the
Horizontal branch.

My understanding is that they are fine on a horizontal branch of
appropriate size, as long as you have a vent take off sufficiently
close to the closet bend.

Cheers, Wayne
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Johnny V" wrote in message
[...]

I agree with Wayne.

You need to have a vent within 3 feet of the WC (may be less where you are).
and the other fixtures all need to tie into the vent. They the actual sewage
can flow in graded pipes wherever it needs to go. My downstairs half bath
and washer discharge into the same 4" pipe and run a good 20-25 feet, take a
45 degree to the floor before they enter the sewer under the basement floor.

Colbyt

Toilet WC- Vertical waste pipe Chris UK diy 6 May 16th 08 09:44 PM
Moving toilet pan....soil stack question Charlie Pie UK diy 6 January 24th 08 04:46 PM
Slow flushing toilet: Vent stack? TeGGeR® Home Repair 12 March 1st 06 02:00 AM
Toilet stack pipe Andy Morrison UK diy 2 August 28th 05 01:14 PM
Garage sink distance to vertical drain connection and venting DL Home Repair 3 April 9th 05 02:51 PM