Posted to alt.home.repair
Colbyt Colbyt is offline

Default Maximum Distance of Toilet from Vertical Stack?

"Johnny V" wrote in message
Hello Group,

I'm working for a friend on a gut job rehab, and his architect seems
inclined to provide plans with no mechanical details and no place to
put waste stacks.

In the interest of planning the job, I'm wondering, Can a Toilet, (as
part of a bath, including shower and lavatory, or half bath including
only lavatory), be attached to a Horizontal branch of a waste stack?
I've only ever seen them attached to the vertical sections of the
stack. If so, what restrictions are there on the length of the
Horizontal branch.

I've been reading the 2006 National Plumbing Code, and I can't seem to
find the answer in there.

Incidently, I found the National code on the web at this location:
http://phcc.files.cms-plus.com/Depts...stratedWeb.pdf

Thanks for any information you can provide:

Best, John

I agree with Wayne.

You need to have a vent within 3 feet of the WC (may be less where you are).
and the other fixtures all need to tie into the vent. They the actual sewage
can flow in graded pipes wherever it needs to go. My downstairs half bath
and washer discharge into the same 4" pipe and run a good 20-25 feet, take a
45 degree to the floor before they enter the sewer under the basement floor.

Colbyt