Posted to alt.home.repair

Default new HVAC not cooling

On Jun 12, 9:14*pm, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
On Thu 12 Jun 2008 06:22:36a, ransley told us...

On Jun 11, 11:15*pm, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
On Wed 11 Jun 2008 05:55:04a, S. Barker told us...

I'd be curious as to what material you were ripped off for that

claimed
R-50 in five and a half inches of wall....

do tell....

I have no idea what it is. *Only a certification of the builder that the

insulation was rated at R50.

"Wayne Boatwright" wrote in message
86.120...
It's a 3 ton high efficiency unit. *House is 1500 sq. ft. *The wall s
have a 6" insulation space with R50 insulation, as does the roof. *Th
e house is
*1- 1/2 years old. *We're on "averaged billing" which runs $165/mo.

*year
round. It's also an all-electric home.

Wayne...

On Tue 10 Jun 2008 06:56:12a, Smarty told us...

Wayne,

Your reply makes me curious........how many tons of a/c do you need

be able to get a 50 degree temperature drop for how many square feet
of living space? What would be a typical electric bill during the
summer months? Thanks,

Smarty

"Wayne Boatwright" wrote in message
.186.120...
On Mon 09 Jun 2008 06:52:50p, Edwin Pawlowski told us...

"CJT" wrote in message
We recently had a contractor install a new unit (a Bryant Puron
2.5 ton in a 1500sq/ft 3br/2ba home) a couple of months ago.

This
week we've had some really warm weather with temperatures in the
90s nearing 100 degrees. The problem is the unit is not cooling
the house. The unit runs all day and doesn't drop the

temperature
below 78 degrees. Our older unit never had this problem.

We called the contractor that installed the unit out and he said
that was normal. He told us that these units won't cool more

than
20 degrees below the ambient air temperature. He also said that
the fact that our ducts are in the celing makes this problem
worse. Something doesn't sound right here. I mean, our old unit
cooled the house fine and that unit was smaller (2 ton).

What's going on here? Is he correct, ignorant or simply lying?

Can

you guys educate me on this? Should this unit be capable of
cooling the house better than it's doing now?

Btu is Btu. *If the new unit is larger, it should cool to a lower
temperature than the old one. *Proper sizing aside, the higher
capacity can remove more heat. *Proper sizing gets into things lik
e humidity control where to big is no good. *If the 2 ton unit was
good, the 2.5 ton should be at least as good at reducing the
temperature.

I'd do a quick check of the basics first. *Are the duct leaking? W
as something left undone or is airflow blocked? *Check the
temperatur e of the air entering and *leaving the AC. It should
have about a 20

degree drop across the coil. Cooler at night with no sun load? *By

cooler, I mean the differential between outside and inside
temperature. Personally, I think there is a problem and since it

is
new, get him back to check things, such as the pressures in the
unit. *There may have been a leak.

There is a lower limit, of course. *At 100 degrees, a properly siz
ed unit won't get it much more than 20 to 25 degrees cooler than
outside, but if the old one did, the new one should.

The design and sizing of a system is also somewhat dependent on

where

you live. *We live in the Phoenix area. *Few people here would be

happy with 95 degrees inside on a 120 degree day, a 25 degree
differential. We can easily cool our house down to 70 degrees on a
120 degree day, although we usually keep it at 75 degrees.

--
* * * * * * Wayne Boatwright
* * Monday, 06(VI)/09(IX)/08(MMVIII)

* * * * * * Wayne Boatwright
* * Tuesday, 06(VI)/10(X)/08(MMVIII)
* He has the right to criticize who has
* * *the heart to help. - A. Lincoln

* * * * * * *Wayne Boatwright * * * * * *
* * *Wednesday, 06(VI)/11(XI)/08(MMVIII)
* * * *All the world's a stage, and * * *
* * * * * .....line!.......LINE!! * * * * *

* You better look into the "certification" because I think you are
entitled to a refund and have an easy claim. I know of no foam that is
more than R 7.2" new, before stabilising at near R 6.7". *I would like
to know of any product that is better than R 7.2" foam, at even 6"
thick that is only R 43.2 , * 5.5" of R 6.7 foam = R 36.85.

* There are also different foams which range from R 4 and up. Maybe he
put in something like "reflextic" but I dont believe their
"independant" rating and question product life.

*In reality I dont see how a wall 6" total, with 5.5" of the best
product on the market could be advertised at maybe more than R 43. *I
would like to buy a R 50 wall, so would anybody.

As I said, I have no idea, and I don't even know if it's foam or another
material. *In any event, it's the best insulated house we've ever owned.

--
* * * * * * *Wayne Boatwright * * * * * *
* * *Thursday, 06(VI)/12(XII)/08(MMVIII)

So you dont care if you were scammed and paid for something not
delivered or at spec! You paid extra for that R 50, alot extra, your
house can now be sold and rated "Energy Star", load calculations are
based on that, as what you pay to heat and cool, for the buildings
life may not be what you bought.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri 13 Jun 2008 12:04:23p, ransley told us...

So you dont care if you were scammed and paid for something not
delivered or at spec! You paid extra for that R 50, alot extra, your
house can now be sold and rated "Energy Star", load calculations are
based on that, as what you pay to heat and cool, for the buildings
life may not be what you bought.

We didn't pay an upgrade for this. The home was originally quoted and priced
with this included, and the price was well within the price range of homes
that had lesser insulation, so I don't feel that we were scammed. Whatever
they used seems to perform well, and our heating and cooling costs are less
than the home we had before, which was of comparable size.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Friday, 06(VI)/13(XIII)/08(MMVIII)