DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   new HVAC not cooling (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/252712-new-hvac-not-cooling.html)

[email protected] June 9th 08 10:11 PM

new HVAC not cooling

We recently had a contractor install a new unit (a Bryant Puron 2.5
ton in a 1500sq/ft 3br/2ba home) a couple of months ago. This week
we've had some really warm weather with temperatures in the 90s
nearing 100 degrees. The problem is the unit is not cooling the house.
The unit runs all day and doesn't drop the temperature below 78
degrees. Our older unit never had this problem.

We called the contractor that installed the unit out and he said that
was normal. He told us that these units won't cool more than 20
degrees below the ambient air temperature. He also said that the fact
that our ducts are in the celing makes this problem worse. Something
doesn't sound right here. I mean, our old unit cooled the house fine
and that unit was smaller (2 ton).

What's going on here? Is he correct, ignorant or simply lying? Can you
guys educate me on this? Should this unit be capable of cooling the
house better than it's doing now?

usethisone2007 June 9th 08 10:57 PM

new HVAC not cooling

On Jun 9, 5:11 pm, wrote:
[...]

Not expert here, but it sounds like the guy is trying to swat you
away, at least for awhile. Exactly how 'cool' does the new unit
actually get the house now, vs what your old one got it to?

I would wait for some good feedback here and get your ducks in a row
before you pressure the AC guy too much more. That way you'll maybe be
able see through some of the smoke screen excuses he might be giving
you.

Good luck. Post how it all gets resolved.

Brian

CJT June 9th 08 11:32 PM

new HVAC not cooling

wrote:
[...]

I'm in Texas. It's hot here. My house is bigger than yours, and 3 tons
will cool it as low as I want to go.

The "20 degree" rule of thumb is across the A/C. So if your house is
at 100 degrees, the A/C should be able to blow (more or less -- it's
just a rule of thumb, not Gospel) 80 degrees. Then, once the house is
cooled down to 80 degrees, it should be able to blow 60 degrees. Etc.

amdx June 9th 08 11:32 PM

new HVAC not cooling

wrote in message
[...]

I'd run this question over on alt.hvac Lots of professionals on there,
I think you'll get good answer.
Mike

dm440c June 10th 08 12:16 AM

new HVAC not cooling

"alt.hvac" ?? is that a website? I'd like to get that level of help for my
problem, too

HeyBub[_3_] June 10th 08 12:28 AM

new HVAC not cooling

wrote:
[...]

Got a thermometer? Put it in front of the AC air intake. Record the number.

Now put the thermometer in an outlet vent. Record the number.

That's the 20 degrees difference he's talking about. Outside temperature is
irrelevant.

Even if it's 100° outside, you should be able to cool your inside to
astonishingly low temperatures (given suitable insulation, leakproofing,
etc.). I've seen ice storage sheds keep blocks frozen with a piddly 1/4 ton
window unit (and two feet of cork on the walls, ceiling, and floor).

Now *IF* you get a 20° differential AND you still can't cool below 76°, then
the heat's getting IN faster than the AC can pump it OUT (insulation, open
doors, etc.).

Red Green June 10th 08 12:31 AM

new HVAC not cooling

"dm440c" u44157@uwe wrote in news:857011a62794a@uwe:

"alt.hvac" ?? is that a website? I'd like to get that level of help
for my problem, too

I'd run this question over on alt.hvac Lots of professionals on
there,
I think you'll get good answer.
Mike

It's a newsgroup just like this one. "alt." should tell you that.

S. Barker June 10th 08 12:32 AM

new HVAC not cooling

2.5 ton is not big enough for 1500 sq. ft. Unless you have very high dollar
windows and are super insulated with 6" walls. Should have been 3 or even
3.5 ton.

Cheri June 10th 08 12:33 AM

new HVAC not cooling

Red Green wrote in message ...
"dm440c" u44157@uwe wrote in news:857011a62794a@uwe:

"alt.hvac" ?? is that a website? I'd like to get that level of

help
for my problem, too

I'd run this question over on alt.hvac Lots of professionals on
there,
I think you'll get good answer.
Mike

It's a newsgroup just like this one. "alt." should tell you that.

NO, it's not a newsgroup just like this one, though it is a newsgroup.
This one has nice, helpful people posting, that one doesn't.

Cheri

Cheri June 10th 08 12:34 AM

new HVAC not cooling

dm440c wrote in message 857011a62794a@uwe...
"alt.hvac" ?? is that a website? I'd like to get that level of help

for my
problem, too

I'd run this question over on alt.hvac Lots of professionals on

there,
I think you'll get good answer.
Mike

Don't do it, unless you like to be abused. :-)

Cheri

S. Barker June 10th 08 12:55 AM

new HVAC not cooling

Very good point. I've lurked about over there. Those guys are assholes.

. ..

Erma1ina June 10th 08 01:12 AM

new HVAC not cooling

amdx wrote:

wrote in message
[...]

Don't waste your time with alt.hvac; it's a newsgroup filled with
also-rans who take out their frustrations on "homemoaners" ;)

I haven't visited hvac-talk.com in quite a while but the following forum
there, frequented by HVAC pros helpful to homeowners, likely would be a
good source of info:

http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?forumid=1

Red Green June 10th 08 01:30 AM

new HVAC not cooling

"Cheri" gserviceatinreachdotcom wrote in
:

Red Green wrote in message ...
"dm440c" u44157@uwe wrote in news:857011a62794a@uwe:

"alt.hvac" ?? is that a website? I'd like to get that level of

help
for my problem, too

I'd run this question over on alt.hvac Lots of professionals on
there,
I think you'll get good answer.
Mike

It's a newsgroup just like this one. "alt." should tell you that.

NO, it's not a newsgroup just like this one, though it is a newsgroup.
This one has nice, helpful people posting, that one doesn't.

Cheri

Oh, thanks for the clarification Cheri. That was nice & helpful :-)

Edwin Pawlowski June 10th 08 02:52 AM

new HVAC not cooling

"CJT" wrote in message
[...]

Btu is Btu. If the new unit is larger, it should cool to a lower
temperature than the old one. Proper sizing aside, the higher capacity can
remove more heat. Proper sizing gets into things like humidity control
where to big is no good. If the 2 ton unit was good, the 2.5 ton should be
at least as good at reducing the temperature.

I'd do a quick check of the basics first. Are the duct leaking? Was
something left undone or is airflow blocked? Check the temperature of the
air entering and leaving the AC. It should have about a 20 degree drop
across the coil. Cooler at night with no sun load? By cooler, I mean the
differential between outside and inside temperature. Personally, I think
there is a problem and since it is new, get him back to check things, such
as the pressures in the unit. There may have been a leak.

There is a lower limit, of course. At 100 degrees, a properly sized unit
won't get it much more than 20 to 25 degrees cooler than outside, but if the
old one did, the new one should.

Edwin Pawlowski June 10th 08 02:56 AM

new HVAC not cooling

wrote in message

I mean, our old unit cooled the house fine
and that unit was smaller (2 ton).

But a 2 ton did the job before. I do my 2000 sq. ft. house with 2 1/2 ton
no problem.

Wayne Boatwright[_2_] June 10th 08 04:36 AM

new HVAC not cooling

On Mon 09 Jun 2008 06:52:50p, Edwin Pawlowski told us...

"CJT" wrote in message
[...]

The design and sizing of a system is also somewhat dependent on where you
live. We live in the Phoenix area. Few people here would be happy with 95
degrees inside on a 120 degree day, a 25 degree differential. We can
easily cool our house down to 70 degrees on a 120 degree day, although we
usually keep it at 75 degrees.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Monday, 06(VI)/09(IX)/08(MMVIII)

ransley June 10th 08 04:53 AM

new HVAC not cooling

On Jun 9, 4:11*pm, wrote:
[...]

If you had 2 ton and it cooled you fine before why did he want to put
in a more expensive 2.5 ton and why did you agree to it, a larger unit
will run less, but remove less humidity and that you didnt want, but
to the point of cooling something must be wrong on the install if you
are sure you had 2 ton before and it cooled better. The new larger
unit wont remove as much humidity since it will run less, if it was
put in right.

amdx June 10th 08 12:42 PM

new HVAC not cooling

Red Green wrote in message ...
"dm440c" u44157@uwe wrote in news:857011a62794a@uwe:

"alt.hvac" ?? is that a website? I'd like to get that level of

help
for my problem, too

I'd run this question over on alt.hvac Lots of professionals on
there,
I think you'll get good answer.
Mike

It's a newsgroup just like this one. "alt." should tell you that.

NO, it's not a newsgroup just like this one, though it is a newsgroup.
This one has nice, helpful people posting, that one doesn't.

Cheri

Hi Cheri,
I probably should have posted a warning (it did cross my mind).
I still think they would get him a good answer. It's like like much of
Usenet, a bunch of good people and then a couple that seem to get their
self esteem by calling other people names and ridiculing them for not
knowing the answer to their question.
Thanks, Mike
Mike

ransley June 10th 08 01:00 PM

new HVAC not cooling

wrote in message

[...]

house better than it's doing now?- Hide quoted text -

we have 3 ton and space pack cooling a 3500 sq ft 90 yr old original
window, poorly to non insulated all original leaker. It was even
guarnteed in writing by the installer to give a 30f drop which it
exceeded when it reached 113f here in chgo after it was installed 20
years ago. I dont know where you get your numbers.

ransley June 10th 08 01:07 PM

new HVAC not cooling

On Jun 9, 4:11*pm, wrote:
[...]

Did you pull a permit, is one required in your area, what does the
contract say because inspectors help by checking work for free. If I
had a non performing , wrongly oversized AC that will now leave me
more humid I would make the installer put in the right unit, I bet he
didnt do a load calc in writing, which is to your benefit if you did
have 2 ton before, You hired a crooked hack if he oversized you, as
you state you cooled before with 2 ton.

Chris Hill[_2_] June 10th 08 02:30 PM

new HVAC not cooling

On Mon, 9 Jun 2008 14:11:17 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

We recently had a contractor install a new unit (a Bryant Puron 2.5
ton in a 1500sq/ft 3br/2ba home) a couple of months ago. This week
we've had some really warm weather with temperatures in the 90s
nearing 100 degrees. The problem is the unit is not cooling the house.
The unit runs all day and doesn't drop the temperature below 78
degrees. Our older unit never had this problem.

We called the contractor that installed the unit out and he said that
was normal. He told us that these units won't cool more than 20
degrees below the ambient air temperature. He also said that the fact
that our ducts are in the celing makes this problem worse. Something
doesn't sound right here. I mean, our old unit cooled the house fine
and that unit was smaller (2 ton).

Did the guy come back and checkthe refrigerant level? If not, call
him and keep calling.

When we bought a new system years ago, they turned it on and left. It
never cooled worth a damn and I could never get them back out to check
it. When they set it up originally, the guy said somebody would be
back out to check it and get the freon level right. That person never
came. A couple of years later I got somebody else out who found the
thing was quite low, and once that was fixed it worked much better.

Smarty June 10th 08 02:56 PM

new HVAC not cooling

Wayne,

Your reply makes me curious........how many tons of a/c do you need to be
able to get a 50 degree temperature drop for how many square feet of living
space? What would be a typical electric bill during the summer months?
Thanks,

Smarty

6.120...

Moe Jones June 10th 08 03:11 PM

new HVAC not cooling

wrote:
[...]

A couple of things you can check.
1. I figure when they upgraded you to a 2.5-ton from a 2-ton condensing unit
they replaced the evaporator coil. If so, look around the system and see if
you have any air leaks.
2. The system may have never been charged properly in the first place. I
would have another service tech out from another company come out double
check their work and see if you need further work. Just have him check the
system, labor only, and if he finds problems then contact the company that
did the work.

--
Moe Jones
http://www.MoeJones.info

amdx June 10th 08 04:36 PM

new HVAC not cooling

I'd run this question over on alt.hvac Lots of professionals on
there,
I think you'll get good answer.
Mike

Don't waste your time with alt.hvac; it's a newsgroup filled with
also-rans who take out their frustrations on "homemoaners" ;)

I haven't visited hvac-talk.com in quite a while but the following forum
there, frequented by HVAC pros helpful to homeowners, likely would be a
good source of info:

http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?forumid=1

I think his questions is good for aly.hvac. The pros don't like it when
another one does a poor installation. They will tell him what needs to be
done.
Mike

Wayne Boatwright[_2_] June 11th 08 05:43 AM

new HVAC not cooling

It's a 3 ton high efficiency unit. House is 1500 sq. ft. The walls have a
6" insulation space with R50 insulation, as does the roof. The house is 1-
1/2 years old. We're on "averaged billing" which runs $165/mo. year round.
It's also an all-electric home.

Wayne...

On Tue 10 Jun 2008 06:56:12a, Smarty told us...

"CJT" wrote in message
[...]

Tuesday, 06(VI)/10(X)/08(MMVIII)
He has the right to criticize who has
the heart to help. - A. Lincoln

Mikepier June 11th 08 12:34 PM

new HVAC not cooling

Check the basics first. See if the pipe leaving the compressor is cold
and sweating, if it is, its probably charged right. Also check to see
if some ducts were closed inadverdantly. Was there a new air handler
put in too? Its possible the fan speed has changed. Also check if your
filters are clean.

Smarty June 11th 08 12:38 PM

new HVAC not cooling

That is a lot smaller than I would have guessed. I too am in a 1500 square
foot house, but in the northeast, have 3 tons of a/c, and probably average
about the same electricty cost as you do, but I have a 60 year old house
with much less insulation and never need to pull the temperature down more
than about 25 degrees, usually only 15 degrees. I also have a hefty winter
gas bill for heating. I would have imagined that Phoenix was a lot more
tonnage of a/c but apparently not.

S. Barker June 11th 08 01:55 PM

new HVAC not cooling

I'd be curious as to what material you were ripped off for that claimed R-50
in five and a half inches of wall....

do tell....

Mikepier June 11th 08 04:01 PM

new HVAC not cooling

On Jun 11, 9:49*am, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
The pipe leaving the compressor should be about 200 degrees F. When the
system is running. Or even hotter. Fortunately, it's encased, and you can't
touch it unless you remove access panels.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Mikepier" wrote in message

Check the basics first. See if the pipe leaving the compressor is cold
and sweating, if it is, its probably charged right. Also check to see
if some ducts were closed inadverdantly. Was there a new air handler
put in too? Its possible the fan speed has changed. Also check if your
filters are clean.

Sorry, I meant the pipe going into the compressor should be cold
The pipe could also be checked at the air handler.

Wayne Boatwright[_2_] June 12th 08 05:13 AM

new HVAC not cooling

The major difference is that my house is new and heavily insulated.
Similar size houses here that are older and less insulated might need up to
a 5 ton unit.

On Wed 11 Jun 2008 04:38:31a, Smarty told us...

"CJT" wrote in message
[...]

Wednesday, 06(VI)/11(XI)/08(MMVIII)
43% of all statistics are worthless.

Wayne Boatwright[_2_] June 12th 08 05:15 AM

new HVAC not cooling

On Wed 11 Jun 2008 05:55:04a, S. Barker told us...

I'd be curious as to what material you were ripped off for that claimed
R-50 in five and a half inches of wall....

do tell....

I have no idea what it is. Only a certification of the builder that the
insulation was rated at R50.

"CJT" wrote in message
[...]

All the world's a stage, and
.....line!.......LINE!!

ransley June 12th 08 02:22 PM

new HVAC not cooling

On Jun 11, 11:15*pm, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
On Wed 11 Jun 2008 05:55:04a, S. Barker told us...

I'd be curious as to what material you were ripped off for that claimed
R-50 in five and a half inches of wall....

do tell....

I have no idea what it is. *Only a certification of the builder that the
insulation was rated at R50.

"Wayne Boatwright" wrote in message
86.120...
It's a 3 ton high efficiency unit. *House is 1500 sq. ft. *The walls
have a 6" insulation space with R50 insulation, as does the roof. *The
house is
*1- 1/2 years old. *We're on "averaged billing" which runs $165/mo.
*year
round. It's also an all-electric home.

Wayne...

On Tue 10 Jun 2008 06:56:12a, Smarty told us...

Wayne,

Your reply makes me curious........how many tons of a/c do you need to
be able to get a 50 degree temperature drop for how many square feet
of living space? What would be a typical electric bill during the
summer months? Thanks,

Smarty

.186.120...

"CJT" wrote in message
[...]

* * * *All the world's a stage, and * * *
* * * * * .....line!.......LINE!! * * * * *

You better look into the "certification" because I think you are
entitled to a refund and have an easy claim. I know of no foam that is
more than R 7.2" new, before stabilising at near R 6.7". I would like
to know of any product that is better than R 7.2" foam, at even 6"
thick that is only R 43.2 , 5.5" of R 6.7 foam = R 36.85.

There are also different foams which range from R 4 and up. Maybe he
put in something like "reflextic" but I dont believe their
"independant" rating and question product life.

In reality I dont see how a wall 6" total, with 5.5" of the best
product on the market could be advertised at maybe more than R 43. I
would like to buy a R 50 wall, so would anybody.

Wayne Boatwright[_2_] June 13th 08 03:14 AM

new HVAC not cooling

On Thu 12 Jun 2008 06:22:36a, ransley told us...

"CJT" wrote in message
[...]

As I said, I have no idea, and I don't even know if it's foam or another
material. In any event, it's the best insulated house we've ever owned.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Thursday, 06(VI)/12(XII)/08(MMVIII)

S. Barker June 13th 08 07:13 PM

new HVAC not cooling

Beats me. I didn't design the ****. I have 3 systems with 410a and all of
them just barely feel warm right out of the outdoor unit, and they all work
great.

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
How does the system release heat, if the discharge refrigerant is "barely
feels warm"?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

S. Barker June 13th 08 07:14 PM

new HVAC not cooling

He lied. It takes about a foot of cellulose in an attic to get R-49.
There's no way to get it in a wall.