Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Ceiling Fan replacement

Hello,

The ceiling fan in my main bathroom (with shower) has died. As a temporary
fix I installed the insert from the ceiling fan in the secondary bathroom
(no shower). They are both the same make and model. I think they are
original with the house which is about 11 years old.

I bought a new ceiling fan that is basically/exactly/almost/maybe the same
size. In fact, the original is a NuTone and the new one is a Broan which
appears to be Broan-NuTone.

The original and new one both specify 120V and 60Hz (I'm in Canada). The
only difference I can see is that the old one uses 0.9 amps and the new one
is 1.1 amps. The original is rated 50 CFM 2.5 Sonnes. The new fan is rated
50 CFM 3 Sonnes.

My question is, is it ok to use the new fan's insert in the old fan's
housing? Or would it be better/right to replace the whole thing, housing
and all?

I have never installed a ceiling fan, but with two wires and the hole
already cut and duct work in place, I don't think it would be all that
hard??

I did a small test and I think the new insert will fit in the old housing. I
didn't force it in. The plug appears to fit into the original housing
socket but I didn't turn the power on.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

--
Chris
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Chris" wrote in message
[...]

Broan has made changes in many of their fans, in my opinion, to prevent part
swapping. It's most prevalent in the larger size fans. If the guts fit and
don't rub, it'll be fine. If it doesn't fit, you can get replacement parts
online at ventingdirect.com or other etailers, but be absolutely sure of the
model number and any suffixes

Posted to alt.home.repair

RBM wrote:

"Chris" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks for the link. I've checked it out and I fear the exhaust fan (I was
incorrectly calling it a ceiling fan) is a NuTone 696NDC B Unit (insert
with motor). I checked the site and there is a NuTone 696N but its a newer
model for roughly the same price of the new Broan I bought.

From the installation instructions on ventingdirect.com I see that the newer
model has a curved plastic insert - just like the Broan I bought. I figure
that it's for better air flow. However, the original NuTone housing doesn't
have this curved plastic insert - it's just a tin box.

I think I will just outright replace the original with the new exhaust fan.
It is the main bathroom, so I want to make sure there is properly shower
exhaust.

Thanks for the link!

--
Chris
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Chris" wrote in message
RBM wrote:

"Chris" wrote in message
[...]

From the installation instructions on ventingdirect.com I see that the
newer
model has a curved plastic insert - just like the Broan I bought. I figure
that it's for better air flow. However, the original NuTone housing
doesn't
have this curved plastic insert - it's just a tin box.

I think I will just outright replace the original with the new exhaust
fan.
It is the main bathroom, so I want to make sure there is properly shower
exhaust.

Thanks for the link!

--
Chris

Chris, this upgrade kit should work for your fan:
http://www.nutone.com/product-detail...roductID=11225

Posted to alt.home.repair

RBM wrote:
Chris, this upgrade kit should work for your fan:
http://www.nutone.com/product-detail...roductID=11225

Thanks for the link. Unfortunately, the upgrade kit costs more than the new
exhaust fan.

--
Chris

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 6, 2:19*pm, Chris wrote:
RBM wrote:
Chris, this upgrade kit should work for your fan:
http://www.nutone.com/product-detail...roductID=11225

Thanks for the link. Unfortunately, the upgrade kit costs more than the new
exhaust fan.

--
Chris

It may cost more, but if the new one doesn't fit in the same opening,
it might be worth the extra money to upgrade vs. the work required to
make the new one fit. Just something to think about.