Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM[_2_] RBM[_2_] is offline

Default Ceiling Fan replacement

"Chris" wrote in message
news:bJF1k.1137$Gn.783@edtnps92...
Hello,

The ceiling fan in my main bathroom (with shower) has died. As a temporary
fix I installed the insert from the ceiling fan in the secondary bathroom
(no shower). They are both the same make and model. I think they are
original with the house which is about 11 years old.

I bought a new ceiling fan that is basically/exactly/almost/maybe the same
size. In fact, the original is a NuTone and the new one is a Broan which
appears to be Broan-NuTone.

The original and new one both specify 120V and 60Hz (I'm in Canada). The
only difference I can see is that the old one uses 0.9 amps and the new
one
is 1.1 amps. The original is rated 50 CFM 2.5 Sonnes. The new fan is rated
50 CFM 3 Sonnes.

My question is, is it ok to use the new fan's insert in the old fan's
housing? Or would it be better/right to replace the whole thing, housing
and all?

I have never installed a ceiling fan, but with two wires and the hole
already cut and duct work in place, I don't think it would be all that
hard??

I did a small test and I think the new insert will fit in the old housing.
didn't force it in. The plug appears to fit into the original housing
socket but I didn't turn the power on.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

--
Chris

Broan has made changes in many of their fans, in my opinion, to prevent part
swapping. It's most prevalent in the larger size fans. If the guts fit and
don't rub, it'll be fine. If it doesn't fit, you can get replacement parts
online at ventingdirect.com or other etailers, but be absolutely sure of the
model number and any suffixes