Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Bathroom ceiling light replacement

I have a small bathroom ..approx..6' x 9' and ceiling is about 8 to
8 1/2' roughly. Can someone recommend a track fixture with 2 lights,
controlled by replacing the single switch via dimmer? I know they are
available in home depot and the ilk,,,what i want to know would this
make good lighting for a bathroom. I got a 100watt bulb there now, and
yet for mirror viewing its not ideal...ie makeup, or shaving and etc.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Anthona" wrote in message
I have a small bathroom ..approx..6' x 9' and ceiling is about 8 to
8 1/2' roughly. Can someone recommend a track fixture with 2 lights,
controlled by replacing the single switch via dimmer? I know they are
available in home depot and the ilk,,,what i want to know would this
make good lighting for a bathroom. I got a 100watt bulb there now, and
yet for mirror viewing its not ideal...ie makeup, or shaving and etc.

It's a personal choice, but I wouldn't use a track in a bathroom. Try to
find a larger fixture than what you have now. Ideally, some recessed
lighting over the mirror works well, but is considerably more work than
replacing a fixture

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sun, 9 Mar 2008 12:11:31 -0700 (PDT), Anthona
wrote:

I have a small bathroom ..approx..6' x 9' and ceiling is about 8 to
8 1/2' roughly. Can someone recommend a track fixture with 2 lights,
controlled by replacing the single switch via dimmer? I know they are
available in home depot and the ilk,,,what i want to know would this
make good lighting for a bathroom. I got a 100watt bulb there now, and
yet for mirror viewing its not ideal...ie makeup, or shaving and etc.

Well, I think the light should be in front of you when you are facing
the mirror, so it shines on your face and you can see it.

Is the bathroom on the top floor and is the attic accessible and
unfinished?

If so, it's pretty easy to put a fixture above the sink. Really. In
addition to what's on the ceilign. Mine had a knock-out for a switch
and I put in a second switch so I could turn the fan off even when the
lights were on. I have to go out now, but I'll look later, so post if
you want details.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Thanks, no I do not have an attic, just a crawl space that only mice
could fit in. I agree the light should be to directed to the face, as
the florescent did, but someone told me that the 2 wires coming from
the switch that happen to be a red and blue could not accomodate an
incandescent bulbs fixture. Don't even know what that blue wire is...a
neutral..and if so, why is it blue, shouldn't it be white? Is there a
way to check it?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Neutral conductors don't go to standard switches. Hot and return wires go to
standard single pole switches. Neutral conductors go directly to whatever
they are feeding