Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Capturing groudn water for sprinkler

Anyone have information on how to capture ground water for use on my
lawn. I have a small stream that flows next to my house. I also have a
sump in my basement which I calculated to pass about 24K gallons per day.
Its probably a bit less than that, but it seems sufficient to work with.

I calculated that I can water a section of my lawn with about
3600gallons. So I figure a 4000g tank should be good. Or even 2000g for
starters.

Anyone know where I should look to get started on a project like this!?

Thanks.

CL
Posted to alt.home.repair

"dnoyeB" wrote in message
. ..
Anyone have information on how to capture ground water for use on my
lawn. I have a small stream that flows next to my house. I also have a
sump in my basement which I calculated to pass about 24K gallons per day.
Its probably a bit less than that, but it seems sufficient to work with.

I calculated that I can water a section of my lawn with about
3600gallons. So I figure a 4000g tank should be good. Or even 2000g for
starters.

Anyone know where I should look to get started on a project like this!?

It sounds like you have a nice sandy layer carrying water below you yard. You
could consider "sand point"s, either "driven" or
http://www.bradyproducts.com/documen...stallation.pdf. The Brady units are
amazingly cheap.

If you really have 1000 gallons/hour passing through your sump, a pump intake
there could supply a properly designed sprinkler system. Just make sure the
sprinkler water demand stays under the minimum water flow.

Sprinkler pumps ar easily available.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 04 Jun 2008 13:27:30 -0700, Bob F wrote:

"dnoyeB" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Thats an excellent suggestion. I still need to filter the particulates
out. It might be better to have a small 50gallon tank outside. I already
have 2 pumps in the pit, I doubt I could fit a 3rd.

Ill have to redo the piping a bit though. Probably can only run 2 heads
at once.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 04 Jun 2008 13:27:30 -0700, Bob F wrote:

"dnoyeB" wrote in message
. ..
Anyone have information on how to capture ground water for use on my
lawn. I have a small stream that flows next to my house. I also have
a sump in my basement which I calculated to pass about 24K gallons per
day. Its probably a bit less than that, but it seems sufficient to work
with.

I calculated that I can water a section of my lawn with about
3600gallons. So I figure a 4000g tank should be good. Or even 2000g
for starters.

Anyone know where I should look to get started on a project like this!?

It sounds like you have a nice sandy layer carrying water below you
yard. You could consider "sand point"s, either "drivnks en" or
http://www.bradyproducts.com/documen...stallation.pdf. The Brady
units are amazingly cheap.

If you really have 1000 gallons/hour passing through your sump, a pump
intake there could supply a properly designed sprinkler system. Just
make sure the sprinkler water demand stays under the minimum water flow.

Sprinkler pumps ar easily available.

Thanks for that website. It may be easier to just take water from the
stream running next to my hhouse with one of those sand thingies.

sweet!!
Posted to alt.home.repair

"dnoyeB" wrote in message
. ..
On Wed, 04 Jun 2008 13:27:30 -0700, Bob F wrote:

"dnoyeB" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

If that is legit to do.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 5, 2:04*pm, "Bob F" wrote:
"dnoyeB" wrote in message

. ..

On Wed, 04 Jun 2008 13:27:30 -0700, Bob F wrote:

"dnoyeB" wrote in message
m...
[...]

If that is legit to do.- Hide quoted text -

That's what I was thinking to. In most places there are fairly tight
restrictions on taking water from natural streams. If it is allowed,
that sounds like the easy solution.

I'd also be amazed if his sump pump is pumping anywhere near 1000
gallons an hour. That's an incredible amount of water. And unless
it's available year round at a substantial rate, it can't always be
used for irrigation.

While it might be nice to collect and use rainwater, from a practical
standpoint, I doubt it's practical compared to drilling a well. With
a well, you have water available regardless of the weather and lots of
it. As the OP noted, to water a reasonable size lawn can easily
take several thousand gallons. If you compare the cost of the tank,
installation, the piping/ trenching, etc necessary to collect the
water from the gutters, etc to the simplicity of a well, I think the
well will easily win out. Especially when you consider the tank gets
filled up when it rains, which is when the lawn is already getting
watered. Then, you have one watering from the tank, after that,
you're back to waiting for rain. Seems of very little use for all the
trouble.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 05 Jun 2008 13:58:38 -0700, trader4 wrote:

On Jun 5, 2:04Â*pm, "Bob F" wrote:

If that is legit to do.- Hide quoted text -

That's what I was thinking to. In most places there are fairly tight
restrictions on taking water from natural streams. If it is allowed,
that sounds like the easy solution.

I wouldn't be taking anymore than I am putting into it. I will have to
check with the city. But is VERY small. Its mostly just water ejected
from the local homes. there is a constant source somewhere around here
though. Its only about 3" deep. Not a proper stream I guess. but its
big enough that the side of my house cant be used for anything because
there is always 3" of water passing across the ground...

I'd also be amazed if his sump pump is pumping anywhere near 1000
gallons an hour. That's an incredible amount of water. And unless
it's available year round at a substantial rate, it can't always be used
for irrigation.

I'm in Michigan so I don't need the water year around. Only in the summer
months. I think my numbers are accurate. Well my sprinkler numbers were
off. Each head is only 3gpm, not 30gpm, so a ~350gallon tank would
suffice.

In fact, with my heads only requiring about 18GPM, I should be able to
come right off the sump pit with maybe a small 15 gallon resovoir so there
is always water available for my sprinkler pump.

While it might be nice to collect and use rainwater, from a practical
standpoint, I doubt it's practical compared to drilling a well. With a
well, you have water available regardless of the weather and lots of it.
As the OP noted, to water a reasonable size lawn can easily take
several thousand gallons. If you compare the cost of the tank,
installation, the piping/ trenching, etc necessary to collect the water
from the gutters, etc to the simplicity of a well, I think the well will
easily win out. Especially when you consider the tank gets filled up
when it rains, which is when the lawn is already getting watered. Then,
you have one watering from the tank, after that, you're back to waiting
for rain. Seems of very little use for all the trouble.

Not looking for rain water. Like I said, I have a small stream running
next to my house. That should be an indication of the level of water in
the ground here. My sump runs about every 10 minutes.

After correcting my sprinkler head mistake I believe I will switch back to
using the water from my sump pit. I will add a temporary storage tank
outside, and a 2nd pump. Should be fun

Thanks,

CL

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 05 Jun 2008 13:58:38 -0700, trader4 wrote:

On Jun 5, 2:04Â*pm, "Bob F" wrote:
"dnoyeB" wrote in message

. ..

On Wed, 04 Jun 2008 13:27:30 -0700, Bob F wrote:

"dnoyeB" wrote in message
m...
Anyone have information on how to capture ground water for use on
my lawn. Â*I have a small stream that flows next to my house. Â*I
also have a sump in my basement which I calculated to pass about
24K gallons per day. Its probably a bit less than that, but it
seems sufficient to work with.

I calculated that I can water a section of my lawn with about
3600gallons. Â*So I figure a 4000g tank should be good. Â*Or even
2000g for starters.

Anyone know where I should look to get started on a project like
this!?

It sounds like you have a nice sandy layer carrying water below you
yard. You could consider Â*"sand point"s, either "drivnks en" or
http://www.bradyproducts.com/documen...stallation.pdf. The
Brady
units are amazingly cheap.

If you really have 1000 gallons/hour passing through your sump, a
pump intake there could supply a properly designed sprinkler system.
Just make sure the sprinkler water demand stays under the minimum
water flow.

Sprinkler pumps ar easily available.

Thanks for that website. Â*It may be easier to just take water from
the stream running next to my hhouse with one of those sand thingies.

If that is legit to do.- Hide quoted text -

That's what I was thinking to. In most places there are fairly tight
restrictions on taking water from natural streams. If it is allowed,
that sounds like the easy solution.

I'd also be amazed if his sump pump is pumping anywhere near 1000
gallons an hour. That's an incredible amount of water. And unless
it's available year round at a substantial rate, it can't always be used
for irrigation.

I recalculated based on volume of water displaced. Still an estimate. My
new value is 14,230 gallons per day. So you were correct in this. This
number is more accurate.

CL
Posted to alt.home.repair

"dnoyeB" wrote in message
. ..

I recalculated based on volume of water displaced. Still an estimate. My
new value is 14,230 gallons per day. So you were correct in this. This
number is more accurate.

That's still a lot of water, if it is during the dry months. I would suggest a
sprinkler pump with the pickup in the sump. Limit the number of heads on each
zone to keep the water needs less than the sump flow. Use a pressure tank and
switch to control the pump so that it shuts off when the pressure gets high,
unless the flow needed is near what the pump can provide. The sump pumps
probably do not provide enough pressure to run sprinklers properly.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 6, 11:20*pm, "Bob F" wrote:
"dnoyeB" wrote in message

. ..

I recalculated based on volume of water displaced. *Still an estimate. *My
new value is 14,230 gallons per day. *So you were correct in this. *This
number is more accurate.

That's still a lot of water, if it is during the dry months.

It sure is a lot of water for a sump pump to be running constantly.

I would suggest a
sprinkler pump with the pickup in the sump. Limit the number of heads on each
zone to keep the water needs less than the sump flow. Use *a pressure tank and
switch to control the pump so that it shuts off when the pressure gets high,
unless the flow needed is near what the pump can provide. The sump pumps
probably do not provide enough pressure to run sprinklers properly.

I'd also recalculate the amount of water needed to irrigate the
lawn. A lawn needs about an inch of water to do a good watering
For any reasonable size lawn, that translates into something more like
your original number of 3600 gallons, not 350, which would be OK for
watering a garden. To put an inch down on 5,000 sq ft, requires 3100
gallons.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 7, 3:02�am, wrote:
On Jun 6, 11:20�pm, "Bob F" wrote:

"dnoyeB" wrote in message

[...]

so close to a stream, the ground is likely already wet.

too much water isnt necessarily a good thing
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 6, 8:20*pm, "Bob F" wrote:
"dnoyeB" wrote in message

. ..

I recalculated based on volume of water displaced. *Still an estimate. *My
new value is 14,230 gallons per day. *So you were correct in this. *This
number is more accurate.

That's still a lot of water, if it is during the dry months. I would suggest a
sprinkler pump with the pickup in the sump. Limit the number of heads on each
zone to keep the water needs less than the sump flow. Use *a pressure tank and
switch to control the pump so that it shuts off when the pressure gets high,
unless the flow needed is near what the pump can provide. The sump pumps
probably do not provide enough pressure to run sprinklers properly.

Coarrect. The normal sump pump provides flow and only minimal
pressure. They will not come close to running a sprinkler. A
pressure tank or a constant pressure controller will be required and
if the flow is less than pump output, a large storage tank will also
be needed.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Harry K" wrote in message
On Jun 6, 8:20 pm, "Bob F" wrote:
"dnoyeB" wrote in message

. ..

[...]

************************************************** *************88

I used an above ground swimming pool (12x3) for a tank on my first system. Sump
pump filled it gradually - sprinkler pump emptied it faster. It did have
significant algea growth until I covered it with black plastic. I then
installed several sand points and got rid of the pool.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 06 Jun 2008 20:20:14 -0700, Bob F wrote:

"dnoyeB" wrote in message
. ..

I recalculated based on volume of water displaced. Still an estimate.
My new value is 14,230 gallons per day. So you were correct in this.
This number is more accurate.

That's still a lot of water, if it is during the dry months. I would
suggest a sprinkler pump with the pickup in the sump. Limit the number
of heads on each zone to keep the water needs less than the sump flow.
Use a pressure tank and switch to control the pump so that it shuts off
when the pressure gets high, unless the flow needed is near what the
pump can provide. The sump pumps probably do not provide enough pressure
to run sprinklers properly.

It certainly is a lot of water. Thats why I thought of this in the first
place. The water is just running into the stream making it bigger and at
the same time I am paying $300 water bill if I water the lawn fully.

The sump water by my calculations is not enough to run a full single zone
of my sprinkler system. I did not do that proper calculations for how
much it takes to put an inch of water down. I just run each zone for
20mins. 6 hunter heads with 3GPM is 360 gallons. anyway, its 18GPM which
is more than I can get out of my sump pit. Sump is only doing about
10GPM. For a 20min run im going to need 160 more gallons than the sump
can provide. So I'll need a 160 gallon tank filled before each 20minute
run.

This has the added bonus of keeping more water out of the stream next to
my house. Its much more of a swamp than a stream and it breeds
mosquitoes...

My front lawn is about 6' higher than the stream and my back lawn slopes
down to stream level.

So I am targeting a perhaps 1/2HP Jet pump that does 30-50PSI. No pressure
tank, just a 200 gallon tank before the pump. Sump will dump into water
tank, jet pump will take it from the tank. I need to be able to blow it
out since it freezes in Michigan.

Current issue is finding a 200 gallon tank of some sort. Im looking at
putting down a footer and getting a tall skinny tank next to my house.
You cant see it from the street and no windows on that side and trees all
around. I could do a cistern. Just looking to keep it simple. It should
pay for itself in 1 summer.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 07 Jun 2008 15:05:47 -0500, dnoyeB wrote Re
Capturing groudn water for sprinkler:

Current issue is finding a 200 gallon tank of some sort. Im looking at
putting down a footer and getting a tall skinny tank next to my house.
You cant see it from the street and no windows on that side and trees all
around. I could do a cistern. Just looking to keep it simple. It should
pay for itself in 1 summer.

How about digging a small holding pond?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 7, 7:49�pm, Caesar Romano wrote:
On Sat, 07 Jun 2008 15:05:47 -0500, dnoyeB wrote Re
Capturing groudn water for sprinkler:

Current issue is finding a 200 gallon tank of some sort. �Im looking at
putting down a footer and getting a tall skinny tank next to my house. �
You cant see it from the street and no windows on that side and trees all
around. �I could do a cistern. �Just looking to keep it simple. �It should
pay for itself in 1 summer.

How about digging a small holding pond?

4 50 gallon plastic drums, can be connected in parell to store 200
gallons.

around here they can be bought used for 20 bucks each
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 7, 11:11Â*pm, dnoyeB wrote:
On Sat, 07 Jun 2008 19:12:15 -0700, wrote:
On Jun 7, 7:49�pm, Caesar Romano wrote:
On Sat, 07 Jun 2008 15:05:47 -0500, dnoyeB wrote Re
Capturing groudn water for sprinkler:

Current issue is finding a 200 gallon tank of some sort. �Im looking
at putting down a footer and getting a tall skinny tank next to my
house. � You cant see it from the street and no windows on that side
and trees all around. �I could do a cistern. �Just looking to keep it
simple. �It should pay for itself in 1 summer.

How about digging a small holding pond?

4 50 gallon plastic drums, can be connected in parell to store 200
gallons.

around here they can be bought used for 20 bucks each

where is here? Â*where would i go to buy one?

CL- Hide quoted text -

Once again, if it were me, I'd be looking at simply having a shallow
irrigation well drilled. With all that water around, a 30 or 40 ft
well should do it. It's not all that expensive compared to $300
bills for lawn watering, and a whole lot simpler than mucking around
with cobbled together pumps, tanks, and who knows what, to try to use
the sump pump. Plus, it's always available and not dependent on a
sump pump always having enough water.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 7, 11:11Â*pm, dnoyeB wrote:
On Sat, 07 Jun 2008 19:12:15 -0700, wrote:
On Jun 7, 7:49�pm, Caesar Romano wrote:
On Sat, 07 Jun 2008 15:05:47 -0500, dnoyeB wrote Re
Capturing groudn water for sprinkler:

Current issue is finding a 200 gallon tank of some sort. �Im looking
at putting down a footer and getting a tall skinny tank next to my
house. � You cant see it from the street and no windows on that side
and trees all around. �I could do a cistern. �Just looking to keep it
simple. �It should pay for itself in 1 summer.

How about digging a small holding pond?

4 50 gallon plastic drums, can be connected in parell to store 200
gallons.

around here they can be bought used for 20 bucks each

where is here? Â*where would i go to buy one?

CL- Hide quoted text -

I am in pittsburgh but those 50 gallon plastic drums are everwhere,
check craiglist.

food and all sorts of stuff come in them.

if you can i would install a gravity drain line from basement sump
pump to stream so a power outage or pump failure doesnt leave you with
a flooded basement.....

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 08 Jun 2008 05:55:33 -0700, trader4 wrote:

[...]

You think I can get 18GPM from a shallow well at the side of my house?
How many holes do you think I will need to dig? The sump and tank is sure
fire. The well concerns me. Although if I have 10GPM at 10' deep, you
think I could get more at deeper depth?

One side benefit of using the sump water is that its not running in my
backyard anymore. Reducing the swamp a bit. Admittedly this is only
while I am water the grass which is not that much.

I think I will look into the shallow well. Considering the price of the
tank, winterizing it, and a concrete pad capable of holding 2500lbs or so
the well is looking good even if I have to dig a few...

CL

Posted to alt.home.repair

. ..

On Jun 7, 11:11 pm, dnoyeB wrote:
On Sat, 07 Jun 2008 19:12:15 -0700, wrote:
On Jun 7, 7:49?pm, Caesar Romano wrote:
On Sat, 07 Jun 2008 15:05:47 -0500, dnoyeB wrote Re
Capturing groudn water for sprinkler:

Current issue is finding a 200 gallon tank of some sort. ?Im
looking at putting down a footer and getting a tall skinny tank
next to my house. ? You cant see it from the street and no windows
on that side and trees all around. ?I could do a cistern. ?Just
looking to keep it simple. ?It should pay for itself in 1 summer.

How about digging a small holding pond?

4 50 gallon plastic drums, can be connected in parell to store 200
gallons.

around here they can be bought used for 20 bucks each

where is here? where would i go to buy one?

[...]

Look at the brady installation pdf I pointed at before. If your soil isn't rocky
enough to bother it, the process is really simple, and the points are $10 - $20
each. You wouldn't have to put them right next to the house, and you could
combine that water with the sump water if needed.

An unwanted cheap backyard swimming pool can make a usable tank if you choose to
go that way. An old spa probably would hold 250 or so gallons.

But it would probably be cheapest to just segmant your sprinkler system into
smaller zones, and use the sump water.

Posted to alt.home.repair

. ..

On Jun 7, 11:11 pm, dnoyeB wrote:
[...]

smaller zones, and use the sump water.- Hide quoted text -

That is what I would do, much the simpler operation, no tanks to
maintain, etc. I water about 1/2 acre using just 3 sprinkler heads
attached to hoses that I move around, 30 minutes per setting. Yep,
moving them is sorta annoying (8 times) but I didnt' want the nuisance
of maintaining an underground installation. The '3 heads' was arrived
at by experiment - seems to be just about optimal for my pump output.
Pump runs approximate 50% of the time.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 10 Jun 2008 08:03:44 -0700, Harry K wrote:

That is what I would do, much the simpler operation, no tanks to
maintain, etc. I water about 1/2 acre using just 3 sprinkler heads
attached to hoses that I move around, 30 minutes per setting. Yep,
moving them is sorta annoying (8 times) but I didnt' want the nuisance
of maintaining an underground installation. The '3 heads' was arrived
at by experiment - seems to be just about optimal for my pump output.
Pump runs approximate 50% of the time.

Harry K

3 heads would work for me too. But I would have to do a lot of digging
and repiping and adding new valves since my system is in-ground. I have 6
zones now. Thats a lot of work. After all that, I would need at least 1
tank anyway unless I ran the jet pump pipe into the sump pit. I really
don't want to do that because the sump water can be muddy as it is. I'd
rather only have 1 pump to clean. I will filter the water before it gets
into the tank.