Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Capturing groudn water for sprinkler

On Jun 5, 2:04*pm, "Bob F" wrote:
"dnoyeB" wrote in message

. ..

On Wed, 04 Jun 2008 13:27:30 -0700, Bob F wrote:

"dnoyeB" wrote in message
m...
Anyone have information on how to capture ground water for use on my
lawn. *I have a small stream that flows next to my house. *I also have
a sump in my basement which I calculated to pass about 24K gallons per
day. Its probably a bit less than that, but it seems sufficient to work
with.

I calculated that I can water a section of my lawn with about
3600gallons. *So I figure a 4000g tank should be good. *Or even 2000g
for starters.

Anyone know where I should look to get started on a project like this!?

It sounds like you have a nice sandy layer carrying water below you
yard. You could consider *"sand point"s, either "drivnks en" or
http://www.bradyproducts.com/documen...stallation.pdf. The Brady
units are amazingly cheap.

If you really have 1000 gallons/hour passing through your sump, a pump
intake there could supply a properly designed sprinkler system. Just
make sure the sprinkler water demand stays under the minimum water flow..

Sprinkler pumps ar easily available.

Thanks for that website. *It may be easier to just take water from the
stream running next to my hhouse with one of those sand thingies.

If that is legit to do.- Hide quoted text -

That's what I was thinking to. In most places there are fairly tight
restrictions on taking water from natural streams. If it is allowed,
that sounds like the easy solution.

I'd also be amazed if his sump pump is pumping anywhere near 1000
gallons an hour. That's an incredible amount of water. And unless
it's available year round at a substantial rate, it can't always be
used for irrigation.

While it might be nice to collect and use rainwater, from a practical
standpoint, I doubt it's practical compared to drilling a well. With
a well, you have water available regardless of the weather and lots of
it. As the OP noted, to water a reasonable size lawn can easily
take several thousand gallons. If you compare the cost of the tank,
installation, the piping/ trenching, etc necessary to collect the
water from the gutters, etc to the simplicity of a well, I think the
well will easily win out. Especially when you consider the tank gets
filled up when it rains, which is when the lawn is already getting
watered. Then, you have one watering from the tank, after that,
you're back to waiting for rain. Seems of very little use for all the
trouble.