Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Rusty water in boiler - capturing it

What do you think of trying to capture the rust in the boiler by placing a
strong permanent magnet near the boiler drain? Remove the magnet and then
drain.

John

Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

Why do you want to drain the boiler? Because of the rusty water. You should
only drain the boiler for repair work that requires draining. New water will
introduce fresh oxygen that will create new rust further corroding the
metal. Old rusty water has used up the oxygen and no longer corrodes.

"New & Improved - N/F John" wrote in message
What do you think of trying to capture the rust in the boiler by placing a
strong permanent magnet near the boiler drain? Remove the magnet and then
drain.

John

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 1, 10:20 pm, "EXT" wrote:
Why do you want to drain the boiler? Because of the rusty water. You should
only drain the boiler for repair work that requires draining. New water will
introduce fresh oxygen that will create new rust further corroding the
metal. Old rusty water has used up the oxygen and no longer corrodes.

"New & Improved - N/F John" wrote in messagenews:zlRoj.831$Ou1.39@trnddc07...

What do you think of trying to capture the rust in the boiler by placing a
strong permanent magnet near the boiler drain? Remove the magnet and then
drain.

John

I don't know but I doubt it. The only iron oxide that is magnetic is
magnetite, and that isn't what forms in your hydronic heating system.

Posted to alt.home.repair

erin bartell had written this in response to
http://www.thestuccocompany.com/main...it-285500-.htm
:
Doug,
You may want to try the Wellan2000 rings. Search for wellan energy systems
and you will find someone in your state that sells them. This has worked
wonders for our brown water in the house which came from the boiler. We
installed this in April of 2009. Still working and no brown water.
Erin.