Posted to alt.home.repair
dnoyeB dnoyeB is offline

Default Capturing groudn water for sprinkler

On Wed, 04 Jun 2008 13:27:30 -0700, Bob F wrote:

"dnoyeB" wrote in message
. ..
Anyone have information on how to capture ground water for use on my
lawn. I have a small stream that flows next to my house. I also have
a sump in my basement which I calculated to pass about 24K gallons per
day. Its probably a bit less than that, but it seems sufficient to work
with.

I calculated that I can water a section of my lawn with about
3600gallons. So I figure a 4000g tank should be good. Or even 2000g
for starters.

Anyone know where I should look to get started on a project like this!?

It sounds like you have a nice sandy layer carrying water below you
yard. You could consider "sand point"s, either "driven" or
http://www.bradyproducts.com/documen...stallation.pdf. The Brady
units are amazingly cheap.

If you really have 1000 gallons/hour passing through your sump, a pump
intake there could supply a properly designed sprinkler system. Just
make sure the sprinkler water demand stays under the minimum water flow.

Sprinkler pumps ar easily available.

Thats an excellent suggestion. I still need to filter the particulates
out. It might be better to have a small 50gallon tank outside. I already
have 2 pumps in the pit, I doubt I could fit a 3rd.

Ill have to redo the piping a bit though. Probably can only run 2 heads
at once.