Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair

Default House municipal water problems

I live in Westchester County NY and get my water from Greenburgh
Consolidated Water District.
We always had and used a whole house water filter (came with the
house). 10 years ago the sediment filters (rated at 16,000 gallons)
would last 2 to 3 months before needing replacement. In 2005 they
began to get clogged/dirty more quickly and I needed to replace every
2 - 3 weeks. At that time I emailed the Superintendant of the water
district who basically quoted me a standard response on how the water
undergoes stringent testing each year and is guaranteed safe.
Back in 2005 he said a filter is a personal preference thing and
shouldn't be necessary.

Recently I replace filters every 3 days before they clog and severely
restrict water flow to the house. The clor of the dirty filter
appears a sick dark red/brown which would indicate rust.

So, something has gotten a lot worse in the past 3 years and I cannot
go on like this replacing filters every 3 days. If I take the filter
out my washed clothes begin to get stains and my toilets also start to
stain. I never drink the house water - even with a filter I still use
a Brita pitcher for drinking water, or just buy bottled water.

I believe the town (DPW) should at least come out and dig up the
street connection to the house to determine the next course of
action. I also believe they should take one of my used filters and
pay to have it tested to see what the "dirt" is.

I've written emails to the town of Greenburgh water department, the
DPW, as well as the town supervisor and all I've gotten is a run-
around at best or no response at worse.

Where else should I be writing/calling to complain about this? I'll
start with the county dept of health bureau of environmental quality.
Are there higher authorities in NYS, etc?

Thanks,
Walter
Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair

Wally wrote:

Where else should I be writing/calling to complain about this? I'll
start with the county dept of health bureau of environmental quality.
Are there higher authorities in NYS, etc?

Thanks,
Walter

Sounds like something your local news media might be interested in, perhaps
a consumer affairs reporter. Bureaucrats hate public exposure, it stirs up
the voters.

Do you have neighbors experiencing similar problems? If so how about
getting them together to hold a press conference asking why nobody will pay
attention to their reports of contaminated drinking water?

Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair

I'd start with the section of pipe between the city connection (water meter)
and your filter. If you have galvanized steel pipe in your home then you
are most likely the cause of the increase in sediment and rust even if there
is only 10 or so feet before the filter, that can contribute a substantial
amount of rust. over 10 years, I would expect significant deterioration of
galv steel piping.

Also determine the material of the buried supply line between your sidewalk
and house, if it is copper good but if it is not, consider replacing that.

Could your filter have changed. In 05, did you find a new brand or less
expensive source or id you start buying a finer filter unintentionally.

If you are replacing filters that often then it should be worth the
investment to get a filter that can flush itself. The extra cost up front
will be drown out by not having to buy filters so often.

Did you check to see if the water district changed its primary source of
water. During times of drought and for other reasons like service to
pipelines it is common to switch from reservoir to well sources or to
another source entirely.

Oh and he is right about filtering being a personal preference. Humans can
drink quite dirty water (mineral dirt not organic or chemical contaminants)
and survive quite well. Our ancestors may never have drank a glass as pure
as you insist upon. Perfectly pure water is an obsession not a necessity.
Write all the letters you want, there is nothing they can do since there is
nothing wrong with the city water. You need to pay for your own water
assay, why do people think that it someone else responsibility, is it
because they usually don't have to do it themselves, those test cost the
city money and if I lived in your city, I wouldn't want to pay for your
paranoia. You haven't finished proving there is any problem at all yet.

"Wally" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair

On Wed, 4 Jun 2008 11:29:33 -0700 (PDT), Wally
wrote:

[...]

The money, time, and, effort spent replacing filters every few days
and buying drinking water (fuel cost) is wasted, IMO.

YOU have the filter tested. When you come up with something serious;
perhaps call the county again, but not until.

Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

What is the filter collecting? Do your neighbors have a similar
situation? Is it possible that there is a break in the water line to
your house that is causing you to draw in dirt, etc?

Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair

In article
,
Wally wrote:

I believe the town (DPW) should at least come out and dig up the
street connection to the house to determine the next course of
action. I also believe they should take one of my used filters and
pay to have it tested to see what the "dirt" is.

Do you want the city mayor to come to your house and tuck you
into bed each night, too? This is the real world out here, and
if you want to get anything done, you have to do it yourself. You
cannot expect others to be living just to take care of you and
your whims.

As far as the water pipe from the street to your house, that
is your responsibility. You can get a plumbing company to come
out and run a scope through it to see if there are any problems.

As far as the water quality goes, your local or state department
of health likely can do water tests for you. Here in MN, the
MN state dept of health does that.

Even if you do find the problem, you may find that your city
doesn't have the money or desire to fix it. In that case, you
may simply have to get a bigger sized filter. Your plumber can
help you there. You want a unit that looks like a big water
softener, and one that runs a back flush every so often. That
way, the layers of stuff in the filter catch the materials in
the water, and the backflush cleans out the filters media.
The result is no filters to get clogged or to have to replace.

-john-

John A. Weeks III * * * * * 612-720-2854 * * * * *
Newave Communications * * * * * * * * * * * * http://www.johnweeks.com
Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair

On Jun 4, 6:53�pm, "John A. Weeks III" wrote:
In article
,

�Wally wrote:
[...]

first move, take a cloged filter to the local water companies office
and ask to see the president, or whoever is in charge.

you get more help when you are a living breathing person standing in
front of the responsible person.

e mails are the least effective means to get help
Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair

"Wally" wrote in message
[...]

In NJ the homeowner is responsible for the water pipe from the street to the
house. If none of your neighbors are experiencing the same problem, you
should call in a plumber for his opinion. You might want to get the
sediment in the filter tested so you know exactly what you are dealing with.
Occasionally the water company in my area will flush the fire hydrants to
get sediment out. When they do that the tap water is brown for a few hours.
In the past they have sent notices to this effect.

Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair

On Wed, 04 Jun 2008 17:53:37 -0500, "John A. Weeks III"
wrote:

Do you want the city mayor to come to your house and tuck you
into bed each night, too?

We have the World's happiest Mayor in Las Vegas.

He travels with a martini and Vegas show girls. Not sure they tuck
anybody in at night.
Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair

"Wally" wrote in message
I live in Westchester County NY and get my water from Greenburgh
Consolidated Water District.
We always had and used a whole house water filter (came with the
house). 10 years ago the sediment filters (rated at 16,000 gallons)
would last 2 to 3 months before needing replacement. In 2005 they
began to get clogged/dirty more quickly and I needed to replace every
2 - 3 weeks. At that time I emailed the Superintendant of the water
district who basically quoted me a standard response on how the water
undergoes stringent testing each year and is guaranteed safe.
Back in 2005 he said a filter is a personal preference thing and
shouldn't be necessary.

Take a filter and request a meeting with the superintendent. In most cases,
he is correct, but if ther is a problem in your line, your street, or
whatever, he should be concerned. Changing every three days is clearly a
problem. If you get no satifaction, find out who his boss is and go up the
ladder. In our town, the meetings of the water and sewer authority are open
to the public so you can take your filter there, perhaps to a local
newspaper too.

Remember to approach this lin a good businesslike manner as raving lunatics
don't fare well. If you get no satisfaction, politely and calmly tell him
you are heading over to the newspaper office to see if they are interested
in doing an article on the town water quality.

Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair
Pat Pat is offline

On Jun 4, 2:29*pm, Wally wrote:
[...]

First off, take out the filter. Then open a faucet and blow some
water through the line. See if it's something you can flush out.
Just turn on 2 or 3 faucets and let them run for an hour or so.

Then, go talk to your neighbors and see if they have a problem or
not. If so, it's probably in a main. If not, it's probably your
problem so go get a backhoe.