Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Water comes in thru municipal water pipe in floor

4 years ago or so we decided to hook up to municipal water.

My house is a split level with a walk out basement. The water pipe
ran under the front lawn on the side of the house with the walk out
basement.

The pipe was brought into the house from under the basement floor
(towards the front end of the house). I think they sealed the hole in
the floor , around the pipe, with concrete. At least that's what it
looks like to me.

Right next to the basement wall the outside ground is about 3 feet
high or so, and slopes down to basement floor level over several
feet. So when they laid the pipe, they didn't have to go much under
the basement floor level.

The problem is when we get long heavy rains. The water pressure
under the house is forcing water up thru the floor; it comes in around
the water pipe. It kind of just slowly seeps up and then just slowly
spreads itself across the basement floor.

I don't know if the area around the pipe was improperly sealed & I'm
quite hesitsant to try and break the floor around the pipe for fear of
damaging the pipe.

I was wondering about relieving the pressure under the floor. Maybe
I could dig out the sloping ground outside, where the water pipe comes
in, down the where the ground is level with the basement floor and
maybe lay a small PVC pipe that would extend out to where the sloping
ground stops sloping. I was wondering if something like this would
allow water building up under the basement floor to push thru the pipe
and just empty out onto the lawn.

Any ideas/comments would be appreciated

thanks
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 13, 1:31�pm, saag wrote:
[...]

dig carefully under pipe definetely below footer lever, insert fabric
then perforated pipe, surround wuth rough gravel cover well with
landscape fabric, use solid pipe sloped far away from home.

does your basement have ANY other moisture issues?

if so a interior french drain is the best option
Posted to alt.home.repair

"saag" wrote in message
[...]

As Haller suggested. Make sure the drain slopes downward all the way. I believe
1" per 10' is the recommended minimum slope.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 13, 4:12�pm, "Bob F" wrote:
"saag" wrote in message

[...]

1" per 10' is the recommended minimum slope.- Hide quoted text -

1/4 inch per foot around here, or a quarter bubble if using a level.

you cant seal water out, just redirect it to someplace better for you
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 13, 3:03Â*pm, " wrote:
On Feb 13, 1:31�pm, saag wrote:

[...]

I can't slope it too far from the house as my neighbor's property/
driveway is 12 feet or so from my basement wall.

Where the municpal pipe comes in is close to the laundry tub and the
oil burner/oil tank. (from L to R it's the dryer, washer, laundry
tub, oil burner , oil tank with a cement filled cinder block wall
between the burner & tank)

The pipe is right behind the washer, so I don't have much room to play
with on the inside of the house which is why I was thinking of trying
to address it from the outside. The basement is heated (hot water
baseboards - there's several feet of fins on the hot water pipe in the
basement so the basement is partially heated.
I don't have any other moisture issues.

Any ideas/comments would be appreciated

thanks

dig carefully under pipe definetely below footer lever, insert fabric
then perforated pipe, surround wuth rough gravel cover well with
landscape fabric, use solid pipe sloped far away from home.

does your basement have ANY other moisture issues?

if so a interior french drain is the best option- Hide quoted text -