Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Municipal water shut off

My main water runs for about 40 feet under my house before there's a
shutoff. How could I shut it off at the street in the event of a
catastrophe?

Posted to alt.home.repair

" wrote:

My main water runs for about 40 feet under my house before there's a
shutoff. How could I shut it off at the street in the event of a
catastrophe?

Buy a curb key at Depot or Lowe's in the plumbing department ($20).
Basically just a long handle with an upside down metal "U" at the bottom
that fits over the curb valve. You of course also have to know where the
curb valve is so you can use it. The curb valve would typically be under
a small round cover with a "W" cast in the top, often painted blue.

Pete C.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4 Dec 2006 05:49:30 -0800, "
wrote:

My main water runs for about 40 feet under my house before there's a
shutoff. How could I shut it off at the street in the event of a
catastrophe?

This is for me, and might work for you. I was told to get a 'curb
key'. Looks like a big metal T. Contact your water company, and tell
them your intentions, and they should help you.

Good luck,

tom @ www.CarFleaMarket.com

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Mon, 04 Dec 2006 14:15:04 GMT, "Pete C."
wrote:

" wrote:

My main water runs for about 40 feet under my house before there's a
shutoff. How could I shut it off at the street in the event of a
catastrophe?

Buy a curb key at Depot or Lowe's in the plumbing department ($20).
Basically just a long handle with an upside down metal "U" at the bottom
that fits over the curb valve. You of course also have to know where the
curb valve is so you can use it. The curb valve would typically be under
a small round cover with a "W" cast in the top, often painted blue.

At my house, in addition to this, s/he'll need a 5 sided socket or
wrench, to remove the bolt that holds down the cover.

Here, they've tried to keep people from opening them.

(For some reason, we would have to pay the meter reader for each
house, so instead we have the water company read the meter for the
whole neighbrohood, 109 houses, and we split it evenly.)

Pete C.